Closed vs. Open stance

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd describe it as an advantage but being aware of stance allows you to look for openings in your opponent, noticing your opponents stance and then switching your stance to allow for you to attack an opening or maybe taking advantage of something your opponent has shown in his attack/defense. I think every fighter has a preferred side but a good opponent will constantly force you to change your stance, which is why we train both sides, so we have no weak side.

Congratulations. By allowing your opponent to determine your stance, you've come a long ways towards allowing them to control the entire fight.

Not my idea of good planning...

credmc

White Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations. By allowing your opponent to determine your stance, you've come a long ways towards allowing them to control the entire fight.

Not my idea of good planning...

Let me explain a bit further, I wouldn't switch stances simply because my opponent switched stances, like im switching out of panic, I would switch when certain things present itself like a certain pattern of attack, an opening, something that I can take advantage. I'm not automatically switching, its when I feel I can take advantage of something, similar to a boxer that fights both hands might switch stances in fights to take advantage of something he notices in the other mans defense. Catch a guy enough times, they will take notice and eventually change to match your stance, so every time you switch, they switch and hell you might even switch for nothing just to mess them up and throw them off their game.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can see we have different views of sparring. Like a lot of Olympic TKD fighters, I switch stances while fighting. But, a lot of it is the fact that when we throw kicks, our kicking leg lands in front causing us to switch stance. So if I start with my right leg back (preferred) and throw a kick or combo I might end up with my left leg back. Mostly, I will stay in the stance I'm in unless the situation has gone back to neutral and I can switch without worrying my opponent will take advantage of me switching.

As far as boxers go. Very very few boxers can fight effectively from both stances. Switching in boxing is usually seen as a gimmick or an act of desperation because nothing else is working. You are taught to stay in your base stance and find a way to solve the puzzle. Switching adds another variable to the situation. By that I mean even if you manuever yourself into a good position, now you must deliver punches from a stance you're not completely comfortable with. So instead of landing a meaningful shot, you just get a shot in.

Latest Discussions