Christopher Colombus (Split from Taekwondo isn't from Karate...thread)

Discussion in 'The Study' started by JR 137, Jan 8, 2019.

1. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Slave traders spoke to Portuguese of "a river in the ocean" that carried them across the Atlantic, and the lands they visited there. They were, of course, speaking of the North and South Equatorial currents, by which one can cross the Atlantic in a small craft in 60 days or less.
    The King of Portugal, lord of the slave trade, knew of this, and thus had an idea of where Columbus had been.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jobo

jobo Senior Master

so African s didn't tell him where Columba's had been like you said, I suspect your making things up

3. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
  4. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I read somewhere it was part of a settlement/agreement between Spain and Portugal. Everything west of a certain line was Spain’s, and east of it was Portugal’s. Brazil is I believe the easternmost part of continental North and South America. Portuguese settled/traded there, thereby using their language.

5. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Yeah, you can teach them truth without that. It's probably enough at that age to say he didn't really know he'd found a way to America, did some things we wouldn't agree with today, etc.

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    King John the Second had a

King John the Second had a history with Spain anyway. As a Sephardic Jew I know that when the Spanish threw Jews out of Spain, King John, for a price allowed many to settle in Portugal, he also provided boats again for a price for other Jews to go to Tangier and Arzila. Others were sent to settle the island of Sao Tome. King John sent many expeditions to find lands for Portugal to colonise.

7. jobo

jobo Senior Master

I'm not sure what point your supporting with that link, there nothing there about a conversation between africans and the king of Spain, which was your main claim.

There any number of ideas about who got to America, by what royte and when, it's certain that Columbus knew it was there before he set off, various Mediterranean / North African cultures had the technology to sail the atlantic for a couple of thousand years, if they did so and when is hard to establish , but old maps show a land mass there, as they also show australia and anartica . The Oriental cultures also had the tech to go,

Of all the claims I find that African did it by canue the hardest to accept, but you never know, africans built a proper sail boat and went is a but more likely

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Guys...

I hate to break it to you, but the first non-indigenous person to set foot in North America was my ancestor, Madoc.

Madoc - Wikipedia

"Madoc" became "Mattocks" and I'm the last heir to that dynasty. It's OK, you don't have bow or anything.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

I hope you know how to pronounce the Welsh then!

• Like Like x 1