chinese weapon thought?

Discussion in 'Chinese Martial Arts - General' started by Porong, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

So just to clarify then, that's true for your classes. Not true for every style of karate, or even every school in your style. plenty of places look at kata as nothing more than a warm up or cooldown exercise

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Porong

Porong Yellow Belt

All I can say for sure is they must think its important as I need know the whole thing on one side to get my black belt.

3. Monkey Turned Wolf

I'm not arguing that. I love kata. And I certainly find them useful. But it's not necessary to learn a weapon, and it's not enough on it's own to be able to use a weapon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Porong

Porong Yellow Belt

WHEN I asked what the kata is for they said it helps you better understand the basic of how thing work usually to get promoted you need to know the kata as well as the self defense move of the month

5. Monkey Turned Wolf

Again, not arguing any of that. It absolutely can help, IMO, and a lot of places require knowing kata to promote. But you can still learn how to fight with a weapon without kata, if there isnt one available to you. You cant learn how to fight with a weapon without a partner to spar against. Imagine if in your karate class you only did kata, and never practiced self defense moves or any sort of contact with other people. Do you think you would be learning effective self defense?123

• Agree Agree x 1