Chin na training

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a similar Qinna technique taught by Dr Yangand I can tell you from experince it works rather well.... difference is Dr Yang is locking you and either stepping back or forward deoending on the energy coming at him.

It is not slow, it is fast and it works. In Aikido, understand it in reality of the application, before you say it makes no sense, that the video is a training video, it is applied fast and generally with all things aikido it has taken you off the line.

Different techniques are used for different applications. If they are throwing punches you would not use that application. If they grab your wrist to control you...you take control

Easy to arm chair critique a video..watch this

If I look at your linked video it makes no sense you bring them close, they can then head butt you or knee you in the groin...
Speed is relative. your opponent can move fast too. The position dis-advantage cannot be recovered by speed only.

When you use left hand to grab your opponent's right wrist, you are in your opponent's "front door". The disadvantage of the "front door entry" is you have to deal with your opponent's other free arm.

Safe entry is always my interest subject. How to move in so my opponent's kick and punch will give me the least problem. When I move in through my opponent's front door, I immediately have to deal with his back free arm.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Speed is relative. your opponent can move fast too. The position dis-advantage cannot be recovered by speed only.

When you use left hand to grab your opponent's right wrist, you are in your opponent's "front door". The disadvantage of the "front door entry" is you have to deal with your opponent's other free arm.

Safe entry is always my interest subject. How to move in so my opponent's kick and punch will give me the least problem. When I move in through my opponent's front door, I immediately have to deal with his back free arm.

and what if the guy you were going to punch decided not to stand there and kicked you in the shin...''

You just don't get it.......later

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Force while locked, or force applying the lock, they are not the same.

My Yang Taijiquan Shifu was the best I had ever seen or experienced with Qinna, I am very far from his level. I can always tell when someone is about to go for Qinna, sometimes I can counter, sometimes I cannot. Dr Yang, I could tell, but there was no way I was going to counter (he dropped me to my knees once in a push hands class by using qinna)

However I could never tell with my Yang Shifu, all of a sudden you are locked, and not getting out of it. And he was not using as force as Dr Yang. I asked him how he did that, his answer "You lock yourself". Basically he is just waiting for you to be at the correct angle and then applying only the force necessary to apply his Qinna
That sounds like real wutang chin na. You let the opponent slip into his own problem, like “playing the guitar “

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
and what if the guy you were going to punch decided not to stand there and kicked you in the shin...''

You just don't get it.......later

He posts a lot of single action demos without a resisting partner.

And it frustrates you, because you expect more from him.

I get both of you, which should make me the most frustrated. Happy as a clam, I am.

May my claminess linger with you, always.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Even if you don't grab it, your left hand is in the punching land so that will Interfere with punching. I do something similar with my hook punches. The major difference is that I don't go try to grab the arm and I'm throwing hooks. However Step 1 and Step 3 are the same.. If I can get the punch into the punching lane first then I should be good. Now I will say that Linear punches have beat me circular punches because of distance and because that punch gets into the punching lane before my punch. The way to counter this is to cut to the outside of the. But I can see your clip landing that shot.

I think I watched a clip on an MMA fighter doing this. The difference is that instead of jamming the rear hand he just went for the face. If my memory is correct, the defender didn't try to punch with that rear hand. Instead he used his rear hand to defend against the incoming punch and then went for a clinch. So I wonder if the natural response (not talking about a trained response) is to defend and not counter punch.

Lyota technique is to control the lead head (deal with the lead hand) by moving it so it is taken out of the equation. Grabbing the hand delays it's return to a guard or ready state which is enough time to move inside. Each time he did that, he would follow up with a reverse punch. I can only guess that your opponent will have enough time to cover but not punch. The only way that your opponent can throw the revere punch is to beat you at throwing your revere punch. Which will be really difficult. However there is more than enough time to cover for the incoming punch which puts the arm in a position in which you can grab it. Grab it while it's in a guard position is less risky than trying to grab it when it not actively trying to guard.

1701655946096.png

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
instead of jamming the rear hand he just went for the face.
You have 2 options here. To let your opponent to pay attention on your

- left hand, so your right hand can punch on his face (my example).
- right hand, so your left hand can punch on his face (your example).

Both options are good.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have 2 options here. To let your opponent to pay attention on your

- left hand, so your right hand can punch on his face (my example).
- right hand, so your left hand can punch on his face (your example).

Both options are good.
Options and variations should be the strongest word in martial arts instead of Perfection.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is how circular punch beats straight punch "position dis-advantage"

It's also how Chin Na seems to work. If you know that someone is trying to do a specific wrist lock then it's easy to defend against it, but people and technique can be in a position that creates a "I never saw it coming" and as a result the person doesn't know what to defend against. If I don't want my fingers broken by Chin Na then I make a risk, I solve the problems not getting my fingers broken, but now I've put myself in a position for other things to get locked

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I don't want my fingers broken by Chin Na then I make a risk, I solve the problems not getting my fingers broken, but now I've put myself in a position for other things to get locked
MA is a big cheating game.

When I grab your wrist, I'm not interested in your wrist. I'm interested in something else. If you pay attention on how to break my grip, you have just fallen into my plan.

Latest Discussions