Chain Smoking Self Dense Instructor!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train FMA for self defense with the number two guy in our system. He is a Filipino-American, former US Marine, former power lifter, deadly with his hands, deadlier with a knife, and he always carries a sidearm...even when training. Fortunately, he's also really good natured!

So here's the deal. He's got the self defense thing pretty well covered. But he's become a freakin' chain smoker. Maybe he doesn't have to worry about thieves, muggers and wacked-out druggies... but those little white sticks are gonna get him sooner or later. Any thoughts?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my classes has a smoke break lol, all squaddies, all smoke as does my instructor.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't have to worry about thieves, muggers and wacked-out druggies... but those little white sticks are gonna get him sooner or later. Any thoughts?

With all due respect - mind your own business?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He won't be if he tries to quit

Based on your description, I hope he quits smoking, but if he does it may not be healthy for anyone to get near him for a bit

You're observations are sooo true. I never thought about that. BTW the title for this thread was supposed to be "Chain Smoking Self-Defense Instructor", but it actually makes more sense with the typo. Such behavior is sort of "Self-Dense".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoking is a servicemen's habit, the guys smoke because on exercise and deployment it is stress relieving. Nothing like having a fag* when the lead wasps are flying past your ear!

*you know I mean cigarette lol!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, Bill, I do.

I mean, really, how dumb would I have to be to get all preachy with my own instructor!

Cool. But you said "Any thoughts?" which to me implied you were asking for suggestions. That's my suggestion.

As to smoking, it's nasty and unhealthy. I know, I was a two-pack-a-day man until I quit about six years ago. Now I smell a smoker who's just come in from his or her smoke break and the stench is ungodly. I want to send my wife flowers every time I smell that for her putting up with me when I was stinking up the joint.

My dad died at 61 - four pack a day guy. His dad at 68 - Raleigh unfiltered. However, my mother-in-law lives with us and smokes, and she's 82 and appears to be quite healthy. So there's no telling what it will do to any given person, just that it's unhealthy when taken as a group.

I like being able to exercise without panting for breath; when I was a smoker I couldn't even go up stairs without wheezing. But it was my choice to smoke and my choice to stop. I'm for choice. Wish more people chose not to smoke, but that's up to them.

I like going to restaurants that don't allow smoking. But I'll deal with it if I must. I believe restaurants ought to have the right to decide if they will or won't allow smoking - but I also have the right to decide if I will or won't go in them. I dropped my American Legion membership because the ones in Michigan all allow smoking - and those WWII guys smoke like tanks. Their choice - and my choice not to go there.

I'm in favor of choice.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Smoking is a servicemen's habit, the guys smoke because on exercise and deployment it is stress relieving. Nothing like having a fag* when the lead wasps are flying past your ear!

I used to sit out on post at night and pick up faces by their cigarette with my starlight scope. I could identify them by name. Ciggies in the field are a giveaway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to sit out on post at night and pick up faces by their cigarette with my starlight scope. I could identify them by name. Ciggies in the field are a giveaway.

I was being ironic, our guys aren't stupid you know.

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We as human beings are flawed individuals. Just because we are strong at one thing, flaws will exist..

I wonder if someone has ever pointed this out to him?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me laugh, in other threads people are getting het up because they think the government is dictating things to them and their freedom is being eroded, that as maybe but here because one guy is smoking people are jumping on the bandwagon of condemning him etc. If he wants to smoke why shouldn't he? Individual freedoms was something I thought Americans cherished?
We don't have smoking in public places because cigarette smoke inpacts on non smokers but anyone can smoke if they wish. It's their choice. Kenpo Tex is correct...who cares?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like doctors and nurses who smoke...it always baffles me. Until I remember that it's an addiction, harder to quit than heroin.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's his choice, my Grandfather smoked until he died at 84 years old, I've know many people who have smoked and died at a ripe old age and I've know others who have died young.

On 27 February 2010, it will be 1 year since I put one in my mouth. I don't miss them at all, do I feel better and I fight off colds easier and I didn't Brochial Pneamonia this year like I have for the last 5 years.

As far as my health, I can't say it's better overall though. My Blood Pressure is worse two meds instead of one, Tinititus in the ear so.

So I say, if he smokes, more power to him and it's his choice and if he can still perform and do what he likes, even more power to him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far seeing that you can die from heroine withdrawl

I believe getting over brave young ladies is quite hard, addiction to Xena can last a lifetime though. I think though addiction unless taken to extremes which can ruin marriages etc is fairly harmless.

sorry couldn't resist as the picture that came into my head was too good not to say anything.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe getting over brave young ladies is quite hard, addiction to Xena can last a lifetime though. I think though addiction unless taken to extremes which can ruin marriages etc is fairly harmless.

sorry couldn't resist as the picture that came into my head was too good not to say anything.

Heh ... I smell a new thread coming on in the Women's forum. :uhyeah:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i believe getting over brave young ladies is quite hard, addiction to xena can last a lifetime though. I think though addiction unless taken to extremes which can ruin marriages etc is fairly harmless.

Sorry couldn't resist as the picture that came into my head was too good not to say anything.

lmao