Certificate/Belt Re-Issue?

OutcastSix

White Belt
Reaction score
So I am on the tkdcon website, and am looking at the reissuance form. It says poom/dan # is required. Anyone know if the mean a specific identifying number, or do they just mean 1st poom/dan, 2nd, etc?
LTW,

I recommend you use the join/create account/login function on TCON.net, which will enable you to search for your dan/poom records by your recorded name, date of birth, nationality &/or dan/poom number. Your dan/poom number is an eight (8) digit number (mine from 1989 has seven (7) digits which made things challenging in computer automation in that I had to add a zero (0) in front of my number... specific identifying number that was issued to you and identified on, in your case your Poom certificate. In order to obtain your record, you much search specifically how your name was originally recorded, date of birth and nationality in order to find your Poom number. Your poom number is the required entry that you are looking for to the Correction/Re-issue Application for the conversion to a dan cert.

As you're stationed overseas, you might find it helpful to simply calling KKW and explain your situation.

Meanwhile as you update your information, as others indicated you can work towards that effort concurrently as you get back into training, e.g. flexibility, mobility, strength, stamina. Age affects us all even while in uniform so sooner is better than waiting on the administrative 2-4 month process to obtain your dan certificate.

SEMPER FIDELIS,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They mean the specific number you were assigned when they awarded your rank. You can look it up on the Kukkiwon site.

But, honestly, I'm with @Tony Dismukes. You haven't trained in nearly 30 years, and only had a baby black belt in any case. Just go find a school you like and strap on a white belt. You might progress faster than average, but it's far better to have people wonder why you're wearing a white belt than why you're wearing black.
I rather shine as a white belt than to be questioned as a black belt.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I lost my first dan cert (ITF TKD) when I was deployed and the water heater in base housing rusted through and flooded the house. I just asked my teacher if I could get another one. He was happy to replace it.
OP's teacher has passed.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I rather shine as a white belt than to be questioned as a black belt.
So that the chief instructor will see it and promote you accordingly? I'm not saying that this would be your motive (and I'm pretty sure it's not), but this can definitely be a motive for someone saying something like this.

In any case, this is partly why I suggested starting over in a different system. Clearly, the OP wants to wear his black belt. He feels that he earned it.

If he starts over in a completely new system, this won't be an issue at all. Why? Because he'll be wearing a white belt in a place where he knows he hasn't earned anything higher than that.

Last edited:

OutcastSix

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; I did search first, but didn't come up with much. I received my 1st degree and Kukkiwon certificate when I was 13 in about 1996. I am now 40, and my certificate and belt were lost in a move. Is it possible to reapply for my certificate and belt, or do I have to start from scratch? I did go to the Kukkiwon HQ website, but couldn't find much there either. I should point out that I am military stationed overseas, so getting into any dojang for info is impossible for me. Also, my original school closed quite some time ago, as the owner passed way. Thank you guys so much for your help, and have a great day.

V/R
LTW
Just to clear the air a little bit WRT your RFI... I'm guessing that you would just like an updated certificate... and maybe a belt from what was lost in a PCS move with no intent to continue to train?

I'm only guessing because you state that you are stationed overseas making it impossible to get into any dojang for info... let alone to try and even train again?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So that the chief instructor will see it and promote you accordingly?
Black belt status comes with much more expectations. The shine as a white belt will come from the inspiration that you give others in your school. Most likely they will assume that you are a "True white belt" where the belt is a reflection of your skill level. The competitive white belts will train harder in an effort to keep pace.

If the Chief Instructor is experienced then he wouldn't be surprised in you ability and will probably ask if you had previous training. The higher belts would be inspired as well. Some will be proud because you came back to the system. But with all that said. White belt training may be more difficult than what he knew as a 13 year old.

He's going to get tested as a black belt by other black belts. 13 year old teen skill sets may not cut it . I don't know about anyone else in here but to be proud about a black belt only to have that pride cut down and replace with embarrassment is a worse feeling than being a white belt.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. Let me clarify some issues here. Yes, I work for the military and am stationed overseas. The closest dojang to me is about an 80 minute round trip and would be in a different language. I don't see either of these as enormous hurdles, especially if I sign my 6 year old up as well, but they are definitely a hindrance. My best option, at least to start, may be something like CyberTKD (which obviously has some SERIOUS drawbacks).

I should point out that I am still quite fit and capable at 40. It hasn't been 27 years without training; I participated in TKD at my university and jumped back in for a short time when I lived in Seoul, and I was in karate a bit in Okinawa. If I re-learned the forms, I would be better than I ever was as a teenager. My original school was not a McDojo; classes were seriously challenging and earning my rank took years. However, I have no problem whatsoever starting over. It's just a belt. I lean toward starting over anyways, but I wouldn't mind having my certificate/belt available at home, especially if an instructor does decide to fast track me.

You have all given me much to think about. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and guidance. As this was my first post, I am amazed at this community. Keep up the great work, and have a wonderful day!

V/R

Luke

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is practicing your KKW forms that you learned for your earlier test until you are proficient again. If you can demonstrate them on video, I know a TKD master who might be willing to award you a black belt certificate in his organization. It wouldn't be the same but it would get you a valid cert and get you back to practicing again.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
Another possibility is practicing your KKW forms that you learned for your earlier test until you are proficient again. If you can demonstrate them on video, I know a TKD master who might be willing to award you a black belt certificate in his organization. It wouldn't be the same but it would get you a valid cert and get you back to practicing again.
Wow thank you for giving me another option! I'll see if I can figure out the Kukkiwon TKDCON this weekend, and then go from there.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow thank you for giving me another option! I'll see if I can figure out the Kukkiwon TKDCON this weekend, and then go from there.
Did you find your information on TCON? It is very specific on formatting. The DOB is straightforward, but I have found names that were entered incorrectly or differently, so try all versions of your name.
If not, are you certain it was a real Kukkiwon certification?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
what is your present condition?
how much have you practised your art in the years gone by?
Is having a Black belt a status symbol to somehow elevate your ego?
Current condition - clear & present.
Practice - daily since 1982
Status symbol - no.
Accomplishment - yes.
Ego - no

What is your affinity against 'black belt'?

silent killer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Current condition - clear & present.
Practice - daily since 1982
Status symbol - no.
Accomplishment - yes.
Ego - no

What is your affinity against 'black belt'?
i know you won´t but post us a video of your training.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
i know you won´t but post us a video of your training.
Unless you can accept VHS, I don't know that I have any. Just not something I feel compelled to do. Yes, I know all you have to do is pull out your phone nowadays but...