Carrying a Baton

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is carrying a baton a good option to defend in rough situation, lets say you get attacked and you need to react to save yourself.

IMO, a collapsible baton isn't a horrible choice to carry for self-defense situations if you know how to use them. You must first know the laws in you area of weapon restrictions and use of force. Carrying around any weapon without knowing when and when not to draw them is a recipe for disaster. You must also be trained on how to use the baton so you can use it effectively. A baton offers a wider spectrum of lethal and less than lethal force opposed to a knife. Meaning, a baton can be used for locks, chokes, takedowns and disarms. Either way, be sure to have all the facts and information on baton use before getting one.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And my first homicide case I worked was an 87 year old woman who managed to live 87 years without defending herself.

She lived out in the country In a rural area with almost no crime.....that didn’t stop the guy and girl that decided to rob her from stomping her to death after the robbery.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. If you choose not to be armed that’s fine. But again it’s nothing wrong with those that choose to have that option.
Sadly, when people get older, they do become vulnerable, often because at an advanced age, they need to allow strangers into their houses for services, or worse, lose their independence and move to assisted living.

Awful as your story sounds, I am wondering what you would propose as far as 87 year old women and self defense.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This world we live in is not a safe place anymore that's why I carry a knife on me wherever I go. Evil never going to change so you have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
I don't know where you live, but read the story I posted a few posts back. Using a knife against an unarmed attacker might well result in you getting charged with a serious felony, and facing years in prison if you ever actually have to use it.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but read the story I posted a few posts back. Using a knife against an unarmed attacker might well result in you getting charged with a serious felony, and facing years in prison if you ever actually have to use it.
Why do they teach knife fighting arts then?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm simply curious as to why some people feel it's almost mandatory to be armed wherever they go.

I always carry a knife(I'm trained to use them) wherever I go. I carry it while being optimistic about having a good day, but at the same time recognizing my day may not go so well. It's a way of hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. You also should realize not everyone has had the same experiences you've had in life. Some people have been victimized, raised in bad neighborhoods or have been exposed to more criminal elements than we have. The point is there are a lot of real threats in the world and people wanting to have a means of defending themselves from it is understandable. That's not to say I find those naive that don't carry. I can see why some choose not to carry nor do I question their decision.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always carry a knife(I'm trained to use them) wherever I go. I carry it while being optimistic about having a good day, but at the same time recognizing my day may not go so well. It's a way of hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. You also should realize not everyone has had the same experiences you've had in life. Some people have been victimized, raised in bad neighborhoods or have been exposed to more criminal elements than we have. The point is there are a lot of real threats in the world and people wanting to have a means of defending themselves from it is understandable. That's not to say I find those naive that don't carry. I can see why some choose not to carry nor do I question their decision.
What I was pretty much saying. I agree 100% with you.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Use of force is a spectrum not an absolute. Using a lethal weapon against an unarmed attacker will more times than not result in charges. You're not supposed to whip you knife out at the first sign of trouble. You must use reasonable judgement and know when and when not to draw your weapon.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not so you can cut people up on the street.
If you take any martial art it used for a last resort. Great knife fighters don't carry a knife so they can hurt other it for self defense.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best thing about a collapsible baton is the sound they make when opening. Other than that, I think they work better unopened.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just live with a lower level of awareness and or preparation.

Nope, I have a high awareness and am very prepared but still don't need to walk around as an armed civilian. It's not that different in most places here, the knife violence is gang related, caused by youths carrying knives and feeling because they do they also have to use them. More youths carry them because they feel afraid and are more inclined to use them, it's a vicious circle.

We have a murder about every 20 years where i live and it's always a domestic event, we do get poaching and sheep rustling though. Landrover Defenders get stolen quite a bit, which is a bit worrying as we like ours but we have Farmwatch and actually catch most poachers and Defenders thieves. We did have an 'armed robbery' at a village post office and the post mistress killed but it turned out to be her husband who killed her and faked the robbery. to be fair we all knew what he'd done, her too come to that because nothing happens in this area without everybody knowing, I do mean everything and everybody. Life for wife's fake robbery murder

Hard to work out your spouse is going to bump you off though, don't think a baton would help.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Use of force is a spectrum not an absolute. Using a lethal weapon against an unarmed attacker will more times than not result in charges. You're not supposed to whip you knife out at the first sign of trouble. You must use reasonable judgement and know when and when not to draw your weapon.
Correct. And ideally, this will happen in front of witnesses or on a security camera so your version of events can be corroborated.

I will say this. If you actually had to use a weapon to defend yourself, what you do after the fight is over may be the difference between getting charged and not getting charged. That said, you might still wind up getting charged as it comes down to prosecutorial discretion. And if your vision of a prosecutor is a seasoned veteran with 20 or 30 years experience and a lot of time to investigate and mull things over, think again. As often as not, it is an overworked 27 year old assistant dar sifting through dozens of police reports..

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm simply curious as to why some people feel it's almost mandatory to be armed wherever they go.

It’s not mandatory. It’s just a choice to be more prepared.

I just don’t understand why those who don’t carry feel the need to show that they never have needed one.

That’s great if you want to play the law of averages then go ahead.

Myself....I believe it’s better to have it and never need it than need it but doesn’t have it.

Last edited:

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nope, I have a high awareness and am very prepared but still don't need to walk around as an armed civilian. It's not that different in most places here, the knife violence is gang related, caused by youths carrying knives and feeling because they do they also have to use them. More youths carry them because they feel afraid and are more inclined to use them, it's a vicious circle.

We have a murder about every 20 years where i live and it's always a domestic event, we do get poaching and sheep rustling though. Landrover Defenders get stolen quite a bit, which is a bit worrying as we like ours but we have Farmwatch and actually catch most poachers and Defenders thieves. We did have an 'armed robbery' at a village post office and the post mistress killed but it turned out to be her husband who killed her and faked the robbery. to be fair we all knew what he'd done, her too come to that because nothing happens in this area without everybody knowing, I do mean everything and everybody. Life for wife's fake robbery murder

Hard to work out your spouse is going to bump you off though, don't think a baton would help.
Weapons such as guns or knives don't kill people. People kill people the weapon is a tool of your trade and it up to you if you can use it responsibility.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If your spouse wants you dead, he or she could just kill you in your sleep.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your spouse wants you dead, he or she could just kill you in your sleep.

Exactly my point.

Weapons such as guns or knives don't kill people. People kill people the weapon is a tool of your trade and it up to you if you can use it responsibility.

Do you cliché much?

I can't see what your cliché has to do with the dynamics of youth gangs. I am also trained to use a knife ( by Royal Marine Commandos, we were bored waiting for the weather to clear for jumping) and I do not see a knife as a tool of my trade, sounds way too Rambo'ish and actually made me giggle, sorry but I read that in the distinctive voice used for film previews.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, when people get older, they do become vulnerable, often because at an advanced age, they need to allow strangers into their houses for services, or worse, lose their independence and move to assisted living.

Awful as your story sounds, I am wondering what you would propose as far as 87 year old women and self defense.

My point was it doesn’t matter how long you have made it without needing it.

Again...if you don’t want to be armed that’s fine....thats your decision.

But there is nothing wrong with someone else choosing to be armed so they can better defend themselves.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't need no weapon. I am a weapon. :panda: :p

I haven't carried a weapon since I retired from the US Army. I'll admit I felt a little naked, but I got over it.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently went through baton training at my unit. At one point in the training, one of my SNCOs said that, in his mind, the only time he would want a baton over his firearm or a TASER/OC spray would be a riot control control situation. Otherwise, he said the baton would work, but would generally be a suboptimal solution.

Latest Discussions