Carrying a Baton

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is carrying a baton a good option to defend in rough situation, lets say you get attacked and you need to react to save yourself.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would it be effective? Yes if you are trained with it.
Is it legal to carry? Probably not.
Police, judge and jury will say your actions were premeditated. That you were going around looking for trouble. You actively went out with a weapon with the intention of hurting someone.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A baton is fine for Law Enforcement, not really a practical option for civilian carry.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where do you live that you feel the need to be armed all the time? (Taking both your threads into account.)

How many times have you actually been called upon to try to defend yourself?

Your profile says you're 28, you come across more as a paranoid teenager...

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend carrying one at all. Keeping Arnis in your house I think is a good idea.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heavy and clunky. Legal in my state, as long as it isn't concealed. I know an older guy who goes to the mall to walk for exersice. He always has a stout walking stick with him "just in cass. Looks friendlier than a baton.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of jurisdictions would have a law against carrying one concealed, maybe against carrying one wherever. If you aren't properly trained in its use you might also run the risk of some tough deciding to take you on because he figures if you are carrying it in plain sight, you may not know how to use it.

I am not so quick to disdain a baton, especially an expandable one, as long as your have been well trained in its use. That is very hard to find afik. If there are any good Hapkido schools where you are, you might want to train there. Somewhere between 1st and 2nd Dan, you should get a lot of training in the use of the short stick, which would translate to using a baton.

Of course, by that time, you would have a lot of other defensive techniques and not so much need a baton.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Planet Earth

I must live on a different planet then, because I've never felt the need to arm myself to leave the house.

I can't honestly think of anyone I know who does either.

No matter what the baseball series thinks, America and it's cities do not constitute "the world".

You should come and visit, see what it's like to just meander around unarmed with no fear whatsoever.

If you let me know if you're turning up I'll put the kettle on.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must live on a different planet then, because I've never felt the need to arm myself to leave the house.

You just live with a lower level of awareness and or preparation.

Violence exists throughout the world.....nothing wrong with having the means to defend yourself if attacked.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No matter what the baseball series thinks, America and it's cities do not constitute "the world".

You should come and visit, see what it's like to just meander around unarmed with no fear whatsoever.

If you let me know if you're turning up I'll put the kettle on.
I was at a conference in Denver and to leave the hotel, they got in a group of 12 four of which were armed with revolvers, I walked back on my own, armed with a cheerful smile

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just live with a lower level of awareness and or preparation.

Violence exists throughout the world.....nothing wrong with having the means to defend yourself if attacked.

Do you really think it's impossible that there exist places where there's not really anything to be especially aware of or prepare for?

I've made it almost to 41 and been attacked, erm, let me count.....

.... no times at all.

Oh, and "having the means to defend yourself", i.e. carrying a weapon, is illegal here anyway.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was at a conference in Denver and to leave the hotel, they got in a group of 12 four of which were armed with revolvers, I walked back on my own, armed with a cheerful smile

Silly person.

You must've died like at least 7 times.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Silly person.

You must've died like at least 7 times.
To be fair it got a bit Dodgy when I went wandering around east la on my own, Bumped in to A crips gang, told them I was from Salford , and we got on just fine

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you really think it's impossible that there exist places where there's not really anything to be especially aware of or prepare for?

I've made it almost to 41 and been attacked, erm, let me count.....

.... no times at all.

And my first homicide case I worked was an 87 year old woman who managed to live 87 years without defending herself.

She lived out in the country In a rural area with almost no crime.....that didn’t stop the guy and girl that decided to rob her from stomping her to death after the robbery.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. If you choose not to be armed that’s fine. But again it’s nothing wrong with those that choose to have that option.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And my first homicide case I worked was an 87 year old woman who managed to live 87 years without defending herself.

She lived out in the country In a rural area with almost no crime.....that didn’t stop the guy and girl that decided to rob her from stomping her to death after the robbery

I'm sure everyone can cite events where being armed could have made a difference, and where being armed may very well have made no difference whatsoever to the outcome.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. If you choose not to be armed that’s fine. But again it’s nothing wrong with those that choose to have that option

I never said it was wrong to do it (within local legislation).

I'm simply curious as to why some people feel it's almost mandatory to be armed wherever they go.

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone can cite events where being armed could have made a difference, and where being armed may very well have made no difference whatsoever to the outcome.

I never said it was wrong to do it (within local legislation).

I'm simply curious as to why some people feel it's almost mandatory to be armed wherever they go.
This world we live in is not a safe place anymore that's why I carry a knife on me wherever I go. Evil never going to change so you have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions