Capoeira

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Watch the racial stuff folk.....thank you.

I said that to prove the point that sometimes calling people by these titles is foolish and should be done with caution.

I have a friend who is a proud black man who would I doubt would ever use the title "Master" with anyone. I don't blame him.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm..... very interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Matter of fact, I remember an older thread somewhere around here on a similar vein....

:asian:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by GouRonin

I wonder if he has black students who call him "Master Snipes?"
:asian:
Ok, i made a mistake on the spelling of my handle! Yet, Master Snipes can be called a master because he is 5th Dan in Goshin Do Karate. Not 4th or 3rd! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

yes'um massa lol i was not aware that snipes was a master in anything???? and i knew he had studied caporia but was not aware of him having a black belt... i knew that he has a 3rd or 4th degree black belt in a form of karate but i dont remember what it was
Anyway a 4th Dan is the rank of Master in some styles! Now being from the dirty south, i would like to ask you a question? Is this suppose to be a joke or are you just that crazy like the other's? Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

I said that to prove the point that sometimes calling people by these titles is foolish and should be done with caution.

I have a friend who is a proud black man who would I doubt would ever use the title "Master" with anyone. I don't blame him.
Gou, i truly do not understand your comment here! What does a proud black man have to do with the martial arts Master thing! Heck, i'am from the dirty south. Born and raised by my parents in the south. Southern baptist, and proud of it! Yet i was also raised in the big city ( Los Angeles )! I come from the city where the first sit-ins at the woolworth lunch counter started! I was even part of the movement at that time to end oppression in the city! I attended the local predominately black university in the city as did Dr. Ron McNair ( North Carolina A&T State University, Aggie Prieeede); although i have attended other universities in the U.S. and abroad! Bet you guess i'am chinese? Ok, just kidding! I can call him homs ( the mexican side of the family ( i have a couple of mexican uncles)), brother snipes, homeboy snipes, homeslice snipes, or what i prefer Master Wesley Snipes! Since he does carry the 5th Dan ranking. Yeah, and my last name ( the white side of the family). So, i'am just as proud about being Black as your friend! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

chiduce... sorry im used to a master being a 6th or higher of course all styles are different in their ranking so it really dont matter... and yes im just crazy lol

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Chiduce
Gou, i truly do not understand your comment here!

My point is this. He says there is only one Master. His God. I say I won't call anyone master because I have none. Either reason, we both agree.

OP
C

Chiduce

My point is this. He says there is only one Master. His God. I say I won't call anyone master because I have none. Either reason, we both agree.
Cool! I use Heavenly Father and Father God myself! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

chiduce... sorry im used to a master being a 6th or higher of course all styles are different in their ranking so it really dont matter... and yes im just crazy lol
Ok, it seems logical. Sincerely, In Humility, Chiduce!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Wasn't there a movie based on this art back in the 80's? Mathew Gedrick or something starred in it? They danced around sparring but never touched each other, (Kinda like some martial arts schools I know of) but in the end the kid used his skills to defeat the bad guys.

Maybe it's just me having flashbacks...:confused:

The movie was called Rooftops.

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
wasn't that a break dancing movie,you can see good caporiera in the movie only the strong with mark dacascos.
later
jay

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by jaybacca72

wasn't that a break dancing movie,you can see good caporiera in the movie only the strong with mark dacascos.
later
jay

Actually it was a movie about a faction of breakdancing caled kick fighting. It didn't last long for some reason.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was flipping through G. Freyre, The masters and the Slaves: A Study In the Development of Brazilian Civilization, 2nd ed. (rev.), 1956, in a bookstore a few weeks back. It stated that Capoeira is of African origin and that its practitioners were very healthy. It gave a definition in a footnote:

Capoeira is an untranslatable Brazilian term, signifying here an individual who engages in the athletic pastime of the same name, in which the participant, "armed with a razor or a knife, with rapid and characteristic gestures goes through the motions of criminal acts" (Lima and Barroso, Pequeno Dicionario Brasiliero da Lingua Potuguesa).

Latest Discussions