Capoeira

I

Icepick

"This is a very acrobatic, very energetic Brazilian martial art."

But, a very lifeless discussion board.

OP
G

GouRonin

Wasn't there a movie based on this art back in the 80's? Mathew Gedrick or something starred in it? They danced around sparring but never touched each other, (Kinda like some martial arts schools I know of) but in the end the kid used his skills to defeat the bad guys.

Maybe it's just me having flashbacks...:confused:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only the Strong (I think that's the title) came out in the 90's starring Mark Dacascos (sp?). That what you're thinkin' of, Gou?

Cthulhu

OP
G

GouRonin

Nah, it was during the breakdancing craze. It was a sort of crossover. It had that Gedrick fruit in it and he lived in a water tower on top of a building.

Blade was kewl but I didn't think it was capoeira. I thought he did some hard japanese style?
:confused:

OP
I

Icepick

Check out that last big fight scene! Wesley does some spinning kicks, and what looks to be "Jenga"(sp?). I don't know what Snipes studies, but I'd be surprised if the fight choreographer didn't know some Capoiera. Great martial art for movies!! I think there was a guy that did a little in Van Damme's Street Fighter, but I wouldn't recommend sitting through that film just to see the Capoiera.:rolleyes:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Snipes studied either Shotokan, Shotokai, or Kyokushin.

Cthulhu

OP
G

GouRonin

Like I said, Blade was a great movie. Though I wonder what Style Traci Lords studied?
:moon:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Icepick
How about Wesley Snipes in Blade?

"The Mighty Quinn" with Denzel Washington has some nice capoeira. Very authentic-looking, to my eye at least. There was also some on Sesame Street (!).

I saw some people practicing the style once at a Modern Arnis seminar in Massachusetts. Interesting stuff.

OP
I

Inigo Montoya

Life has evolved here.... on the Take Em Dough forum on the otherhand, its still a barren, lifeless void.

Originally posted by Icepick
"This is a very acrobatic, very energetic Brazilian martial art."

But, a very lifeless discussion board.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now Now, be nice. :)

Word just hasn't gotten out to those Arts yet. We're working on it. :)

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

capoeira is begining to pick up some poularity im seeing it more and more in movies and more books and videos are coming out and its really getting big around here at vanderbilt and i know there is a huge group out at berkley although it seems to attract the new age peace loving tree huging type if you know what i mean... its really an incredible cardio work out if you ever get the chance to take a class try it, its pretty fun... the music is a little irratating though

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of my instructors also teaches some capoeira. I took an 'into' class once and it was actually pretty fun. Couldn't tell you much, it was only one class, but I enjoyed it and was tired as heck afterward.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Cthulhu

I think Snipes studied either Shotokan, Shotokai, or Kyokushin.

Cthulhu
My understanding is that Master Snipes holds black belt ranking in capoeira! At least that is what his website said. Sincerely, In Humility; Chicuce!

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Chiduce
My understanding is that Master Snipes holds black belt ranking in capoeira! At least that is what his website said. Sincerely, In Humility; Chicuce!

I wonder if he has black students who call him "Master Snipes?"
:asian:

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

yes'um massa lol i was not aware that snipes was a master in anything???? and i knew he had studied caporia but was not aware of him having a black belt... i knew that he has a 3rd or 4th degree black belt in a form of karate but i dont remember what it was

OP
W

white dragon

On the Blade DVD there's a commentary track and Snipes talks a little about doing fight scenes and says he studies Capoeira, I know you've all said this but it's from the mouth of babes, so to speak.

also Mark Dacascos does a little in Drive, but says that apart from having to learn it for Only The Strong he doesn't really practice it.

If you want to see some more of it in general, go check out:

http://www.bilang.com/

loads of videos and explanations of how to do kicks etc, worth a few minutes. If you get the chance also check out Chloe Bruce, the free style tkd person, very, very good! :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watch the racial stuff folk.....thank you.

:asian:

Latest Discussions