South American Martial Arts?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's the Venezuelan stick fighting system, Garrote Larense, that many say is similar to arnis/escrima.

Cthulhu

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally I think of Vale Tudo as a type of competition, like point sparring, continuous sparring, etc, rather than a style of fighting, but that could be debateable either way.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would people consider South American martial arts like capoeira Western martial arts? Does it matter whether they are indigenous arts as opposed to systems like BJJ, which is a Judo variant?

I'd have to say that capoeira is a Western martial art, myself.

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree on the capoeira. I've been told it has its roots in Africa, which is still Western as far as the martial arts are concerned. What about that Garrotte Latense?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KumaSan

I'm going to agree on the capoeira. I've been told it has its roots in Africa, which is still Western as far as the martial arts are concerned. What about that Garrotte Latense?

I posted some links for this Venezuelan system here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=551

It seems to be stickfighting with a strong Spanish fencing influence.

K

KickingDago

Originally posted by Cthulhu

There's the Venezuelan stick fighting system, Garrote Larense, that many say is similar to arnis/escrima.

Cthulhu
:)

Aside from garrote larense i came across some other venezuelan styles and i was wondering if anyone had info on the following styles:

„h Sanjal:

Is very similar to Shorinji kempo in its goho/juho practice, but of Venezuelan origin. It includes ground techniques and weapons practice as Venezuelan traditional tools (machete, palo, cuchillo, etc.)

„h Broma:

Knife, machete and Stick fighting including African Head Butting from West and Central Africa along with stand up wrestling

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KickingDago

Sanjal:

Is very similar to Shorinji kempo in its goho/juho practice, but of Venezuelan origin. It includes ground techniques and weapons practice as Venezuelan traditional tools (machete, palo, cuchillo, etc.)

Do you mean it's native to Venezuela, or that it's Shorinji kempo as modified by a Venezuelan?

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I also consider capoeira a western art, as it originated in Africa. Technically, this art is referred to as Afro-brazillian, due to the change of the art from Portugeuse influence. Any capoeristas out there?:asian: :asian:

K

KickingDago

Originally posted by arnisador

Do you mean it's native to Venezuela, or that it's Shorinji kempo as modified by a Venezuelan?

from what i understood from the site. it is venezuelan in origins, I'm trying to look for the site from where i got the informations originally and i will post the link as soon as I can. I also spoke with a friend of mine from venezuela, he did mention some "weird" native systems, most of them in african (more tham european) origins. Pretty cool stuff huh? Don't worry soon as i found more out these styles, I'll share it with you paesan...

regards

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Several years ago, there was an article in a martial arts magazine (which, of course, I can't remember) that had an article on a fella claiming to teach Aztec martial arts.

I found this hard to swallow, and since then, I have never seen anything on it again.

Has anyone else happened upon that article, or heard anything on it?

Cthulhu

M

Morpheus

There's also Luta Livra which is basically no-gi submission wrestling. Brazillian jiu jutsu was too expensive for a lot of people to afford, so they went and trained in this this style instead.

If a Luta Livra fighter was successful in competitions, he would usually use some of the money to then go and buy BJJ lessons in a good academy.

There is a lot of competition between the two styles in Brazil, with LL generally being associated with quite humble beginnings.

K

KickingDago

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Several years ago, there was an article in a martial arts magazine (which, of course, I can't remember) that had an article on a fella claiming to teach Aztec martial arts.

I found this hard to swallow, and since then, I have never seen anything on it again.

Has anyone else happened upon that article, or heard anything on it?

Cthulhu

Yeah I believe the dude called the discipline "Yamochita" he had a site somewhere that maybe I should post. Many people expressed concerns about this style in other forums, but if you ask me I don't think is "the real thing". Another dude had a add in the last pages of black belt magazine about aztec stick fighting or "mano de guera", again I don't know how "real" these styles are, there are alot of people out there who take karate classes for few years then mix it up with some arnis then wake up one day and claim to be the only people on the planet who have inherited the secret fighting arts of a lost culture that existed thousands of years ago.

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here in Massachusetts, Mario Dominguez teaches some Argentianian Martial Art. One name I've heard him use is Esgrima Criolla.

I went to a seminar of his, and there was some pretty cool stuff. Some of the stuff he showed or discussed was Long knife (like Bowie), horse quirt (rebenque sp?), poncho, and the bolo (the throwing weapon). He also talked about horsemanship skills.

The movements definately had a western (European) flavor to them.

He's an excellent martial artist and I enjoyed his seminar a lot.

Arthur

Latest Discussions