Can I Get Fries With That

OP
F

fist of fury

We've got them all over the place here. Nearly every major road has one or two. My girlfriend has never seen a mcdojo I'm planning on taking her to one as prospectives customers just so she can see what they are like. I'll have to ask them if I can supersize my order:D

OP
T

tonbo

Eeeesh.

Yeah, I looked at a "video training" school as well, once. I thought it might be worth it to get their free introductory video and maybe pick up a few additional tricks to supplement my training. I thought, "Hey, if it's any good, I can get some of the other tapes and pick and choose techniques....". Well, it...uh....*wasn't* any good. Matter of fact, the tape became the hit of gatherings from that point on.....we just put the tape in and laughed ourselves silly at the ineffectiveness of the techniques. I realized then (okay, this was like 9 years ago) that learning by video, without any basis in any real art, was not only ridiculous, but also very dangerous.

As for McDojos, they hurt more people than they help. You really do get what you pay for, and even more what you *train* for. I know a couple of people who are low- to mid-range black belts from some of these schools, and after talking with them about martial arts, I realized that they knew very little about MA in general, and their own "art" in specific. Sad. Even sadder was when, as a low-level brown belt (and nothing special, mind you!!), I could match these "dan ranks" in sparring.

McDojos hurt adults, true.....but they are worse on kids. Kids who are exposed to MA should learn a number of things, including discipline, confidence, and respect. However, at McDojos, they learn that they just have to whine and pay money, and they will get a belt next time the test comes around. These fake "black belts" are going to be really surprised if they ever have to *use* their arts.......

A school I fear is a McDojo just moved to the strip mall up the street from my house. I thought about going up and just saying "howdy", and welcoming them to the neighborhood....and talking with some of their high belts about MA.....until I saw a story on them on the local news.....and they were interviewing a 10-year-old "black belt". Yeah. Right. It *took* me 10 years to get my black. Did she start training when she was born? Really?

Eeeeeesh.

Peace--

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by tonbo

Eeeesh.

A school I fear is a McDojo just moved to the strip mall up the street from my house. I thought about going up and just saying "howdy", and welcoming them to the neighborhood....and talking with some of their high belts about MA.....until I saw a story on them on the local news.....and they were interviewing a 10-year-old "black belt". Yeah. Right. It *took* me 10 years to get my black. Did she start training when she was born? Really?

Eeeeeesh.

Peace--

:eek: thats just sad.

OP
W

warriorsage

Howdy, just thought I'd jump in on this. I'm a product of a video training program through the IKCA, earning my BB last year. Still, you'll never hear me saying that video training is better than in an actual school with a good instructor. I've been lucky to do both. Spent three years in a couple different schools before the video program and have been training with a couple of others since doing the vid's. You can pick up a surprising amount of knowledge from video, and if the instructor requires video testing and gives video feedback, you can learn even more. Plus, if you've never taped yourself training, you're missing out on a fantastic training tool. Just about every major sport (even golf, ugh!) uses video of game footage and even practice sessions to improve their performance.

I've seen some excellent video blackbelts from the IKCA and I've also seen many who don't meet the standards I would have. Then again, I've been in many schools and to many tournaments and I can say the same for the majority of schools.

What's my point?? Don't know if I have one exactly. "I often have no point, that's part of my charm." (what movie?) Guess I'm just saying that some video programs are a cash grab, some are well-intentioned, but probably done by somebody who shouldn't have, and others are a fair alternative to in-house training. I wouldn't knock someone right away if they say they are a video student. Most people that I meet and train with are amazed that I'm a video student, but heck, I'm just an amazing guy (haha). You can call my certificate cr@p if you want, but I know what went into it and what I got out of it. If anyone's ever in my nape of the neck, errr, I mean neck of the woods, drop me a line and we'll bang around for a while.

Salute!

OP
T

tonbo

Personally, I have nothing against video training *per se*.... I have used videos of different styles and even kenpo weapons videos to enhance my training. It is the same thing in my opinion as working out with someone from a different style, or from a high belt from another school in your style. You learn different points of view, different details, and it generally helps.

I also don't have anything against those who train exclusively from video, assuming that there is some interaction with the people providing the videos. If you can get feedback on your training, it is much better than just mimicking the moves from the videos. For those who don't have a school in the area teaching the style they want, videos can be a valuable tool.

The problem that I have is with *bad* videos, and the one that I got was *BAD*. I won't name the company or the school providing it, as I don't want to slam those training with this school. Granted, it was an introductory video, and my philosophies differ from those on the tape......but still......I think that, at least in some instances, the techniques on the tape violate some basic principles of the style's founder.

My opinions on this are my own, and may be wrong to some. I cannot speak about the personal nature, personality, or honor of the instructors on the tape. Until otherwise proven, I will assume that they are honorable people, with good motive, and have earned their rank (I have actually seen proof to verify it). I just fundamentally disagreed with some of the basics they went on about, and left it at that.

Again, this is *my* opinion, based on my own personal idiosyncracies and mental firings/misfirings. As far as personally slamming anyone else, my apologies if I seemed to do so.

FWIW, I choose to look at belt rankings and stylistic differences in this light: "It ain't the belt that makes the man(or woman!!), the man(or woman!!) makes the belt."

If you're training, you're gaining!!

Peace--

OP
W

warriorsage

Tonbo, well put. I don't expect everyone to accept video training or the IKCA for that matter. Just wanted to point out some benfits of a well-done program based on my experiences. Having been involved in a few different school environments, I thought my perspective could provide some insights. I didn't take offense to anyone's posting on this subject. Keep the info flowing.

P.S. email me when you get some free time ([email protected])

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
video training quite interesting........ but it is no replacement for live consistent workouts... It does however, allow for decent Kenpo to be passed on thru a new media. It still needs to be refined. I use a combination of phone, IM's, video, web cam & live workshops (whenever possible) to help the long range distance students.

:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Bonehead

you can cut the material in half for each belt, but you should also cut the cost of testing to maybe 2/3 because you still have to pay for the belt, the certificate and your time.

As I said elsewhere, I use the half belt thing and admitted that it was in part for the money....What I do though is charge 5 dollars more than I did for the previous color. My testing fees roughly equate to 10 dollars per color plus 5 for the half belt.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Bonehead

The problem with chain schools is there is no consistency. The head of the chain may be phenominal but that person can not be teaching in all the schools at the same time. Chuck Norris had this in the late 70's early 80 when he a chain of schools. He is reported to be a great teacher, but those in other schools were not as qualified. After a while the chain school is not so much about the quality of the instruction, but more opening that next school in the chain.

I read in one of the trade mags, wish i could remember which one, that a couple of years ago Chuck Norris got word of racial discrimination in two of his franchise schools in Virginia. The two scholls were owned by the same people. He came in, revoked their right to franchise, took over the schools and imported his own people to run it.

Latest Discussions