Bunkai equivalent in taekwondo

It finally came out??!! I've been waiting for that book to appear in print for two years, ever since I learned that SJO'N was writing it!!

Bluekey, you've just made my day, month and year (and we don't even do the Taegeuks at my dojang—we do the Palgwes! :lol:)

It's certainly my pleasure Exile. :) I've got great hopes for this book...If it lives up to the rep, I'm hoping to see if my Sabumnim will let me run some special classes to try to booon hae apps out.

Peace,
Erik

Yes it is a great book just got mine two days ago, only went though it a little but will give a review as soon as I am done with it.

It finally came out??!! I've been waiting for that book to appear in print for two years, ever since I learned that SJO'N was writing it!!

Bluekey, you've just made my day, month and year (and we don't even do the Taegeuks at my dojang—we do the Palgwes! :lol:)

Are you gonna be ok, exile?:ultracool

Actually, I'm excited to hear that, too. I just ordered it myself.

Are you gonna be ok, exile?:ultracool

Yeah yeah, I know how to handle tachycardia... run cold water on your wrists, drink a glass or two of icewater, get a cold water soaked towel around your neck... I've done all that already, so I should be OK :lol:...

Actually, I'm excited to hear that, too:uhyeah:

See, I first encountered SJON via his article in one of the 2006 Taekwondo Times issues... for my money, it was best article they ever published. Found out about his Combat TKD website from the article and subscribed to his newsletters, and was disappointed to learn there were only going to be 12 of them... because he was working on this book. So I've been kind of on the edge of my seat for all this time, and I'm always referring to his work, but unlike with Stuart A's book, there hasn't been anything by SJON in the immediately available domain that I can point to when I talk about bunkai for TKD forms. So apart from getting my hands on the book itself, it's kind of a great relief to actually have another text I can point people to to illustrate what I'm getting at, about the increased interest on the TKD side in the practical combat application of TKD hyungs....

Yeah yeah, I know how to handle tachycardia... run cold water on your wrists, drink a glass or two of icewater, get a cold water soaked towel around your neck... I've done all that already, so I should be OK :lol:...

See, I first encountered SJON via his article in one of the 2006 Taekwondo Times issues... for my money, it was best article they ever published. Found out about his Combat TKD website from the article and subscribed to his newsletters, and was disappointed to learn there were only going to be 12 of them... because he was working on this book. So I've been kind of on the edge of my seat for all this time, and I'm always referring to his work, but unlike with Stuart A's book, there hasn't been anything by SJON in the immediately available domain that I can point to when I talk about bunkai for TKD forms. So apart from getting my hands on the book itself, it's kind of a great relief to actually have another text I can point people to to illustrate what I'm getting at, about the increased interest on the TKD side in the practical combat application of TKD hyungs....

For a good number of years I've heard folks say such disparaging things about TKD & the Tae Geuk poomsae in particular. While they are not my favorite poomsae (I'm more partial to the Pal Gwe poomsae, myself) I'm excited to see someone do some serious picking them apart & examine them in a positive light. There is value in them.:mst:

Now that I've ordered mine, time will probably stand still until it comes

For a good number of years I've heard folks say such disparaging things about TKD & the Tae Geuk poomsae in particular. While they are not my favorite poomsae (I'm more partial to the Pal Gwe poomsae, myself) I'm excited to see someone do some serious picking them apart & examine them in a positive light. There is value in them.:mst:

The Taegeuks have had the deck stacked against them on at least two counts: the Palgwes have a kind of classic elegance that the Ts don't (that high walking stance doesn't help), and there has also been a good deal of resistance to them from people who didn't at all like the way the Palgwes were summarily pulled from their place in the KKW curriculum to make room for the Taegeuks. The back story on that one is pretty ugly (see here), and some of the resulting bad blood probably washed back into the way people look at the Ts. SJON's work can probably help them gain back some credibility among the 'hard rock' combat-oriented group. Who know?—maybe people who read his book will start performing them in a more intense way, inspired by the combat meaning of the moves that O'N lays out for consideration, and they'll take on a whole different look during tournament forms competitions.

Now that I've ordered mine, time will probably stand still until it comes

Funny how that seems to happen with a book you really, really want to get hold of, eh?

As an interesting asie to the OP. I see that Simon O'Neil just published a book on Boon Hae applied to the Taeguk forms. I've ordered it and sold have it in a week or so. I'll post a review once I get a chance to look at it.

Peace,
Erik

Yup... got mine ordered... will let you know what its like, but knowing Simon, Im sure it will be great.

Stuart

Just ordered mine, too :boing1:

I figure anything that gets exile this excited has got to be worth a look :)
If this book does indeed have realistic applications for the Taegeuks then I know it will make me train with more determination because I will believe in what I'm doing, rather than just doing a set of techniques.

Back