BRUCE CALKINS & THE EAGLE FEDERATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
1.) But since Bruce said it was part of his duties as a bodyguard, it would have been dealt with by the police. And the gunshot wounds are as you say- required by law to be reported. I think that obvious stab wounds (he said he was stabbed) would also have to be reported.

2.) It would be nice if he at least tried to respond to what Sharp Phil wrote instead of ignoring it. I think a lot of people are thinking that he is dodging the issue and we moderators are the ones who have to clean up the mess if it turns into a screaming match.
1.) Yes, there is no getting around a unreported gun shot wound.
Obvious stab wound, depends on what is termed obvious and the degree of the injury. I got around with unreporting a stab wound. Minor/small wound in the arm, told my personal physician whom stitched it that I bumped into a garden tool. He knew better, but knowing me for so long, treated it without filing/calling law officials.

2.) Yes, I have to agree that if such is claimed, there should be some type of evidence.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
a picture of the scar/s would be good, without being morbid.

we could start a whole thread on posting pics of scars! lol

:)

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bruce,
You seem to have missed the above. You claim several incidents involving knives and guns. And you claim to have been stabben and shot.

These are not things that go without police involvement. There would be records that you can show people and that they can access for themselves.

With all the people calling you a liar and laughing at you on these boards, it would make it easier for us moderators if you did not seem to be dodging the above and provided the proof that has to exist if you are telling the truth. With something like that established, it may be easier for people to believe other claims you make and that in turn would make it easier on us moderators.

So please Bruce, back up what you freely claimed with the evidence that has to exist if you were telling the truth. If you fail to, there is very little we can do to stop people from treating you like a fraud and a joke. None of us want that, do we?
This was years ago.. I have the scars and memorys I didn't keep the reports over these years.. If you don't believe me about it.. That's OK . It's just one more thing... I was stbed in the upper Right Chest and Shot in the lower Left Hip... If anyone wants to see the scars in July I'll show them... It's not that big of a deal..

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
But since Bruce said it was part of his duties as a bodyguard, it would have been dealt with by the police. And the gunshot wounds are as you say- required by law to be reported. I think that obvious stab wounds (he said he was stabbed) would also have to be reported.

It would be nice if he at least tried to respond to what Sharp Phil wrote instead of ignoring it. I think a lot of people are thinking that he is dodging the issue and we moderators are the ones who have to clean up the mess if it turns into a screaming match.
All of it was reported. The Wounds all took Medical attention but I don't still have the reports.. It was years ago.. What would I do.. Hang them on a wall. The people that did these things are out on porole or dead in a ditch somewhere for all I know.. I don't need these papers...There not souvenirs.. Althought I do know a Private Investagator in Warsaw NY that has every incadent and puts Photos of his wounds and the reports on View in his office.. (I think he's a Nut ) :)

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I thought this was cleared up by his choice of ;
A.) If the knife thing is just a class routine to study the limitations or tactics against the weapon opponent (knife holder).
Then it's still wrong. Irregardless of how few attacks there are likely to be with a knife, you can attack faster and with less weight commitment and still cause more damage than standard attacks. The knife can switch hands, feint attack, cut from almost any angle and kill you before you even realise it's there. To then state that this is somehow limiting in any way is ridiculous, whether it's a class routine or not.

Facing a knife wielder unarmed REDUCES the amount of tactics you can use, and that is a very important lesson to learn!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
All of it was reported. The Wounds all took Medical attention but I don't still have the reports.. It was years ago.. What would I do.. Hang them on a wall.

Bruce,
Police reports are matter of public record. There is not just one copy given to you. If you were willing to give information that would allow people to find the case numbers and details like that, then people could go get the information themselves.

If you are saying that there is no record of what you claim
anywhere then you are plain wrong. If you are saying that you will not do anything to help us verify your claims, then how can you now complain that everyone is calling you fraud?

If you showed some willingness to back up what you claim, or were less willing to make those claims, then there would be a lot less laughing at you now and a lot less mess for us moderators to clean up after.

You said, "If you don't believe me about it.. That's OK." Do you realize just how many people are now going to say as a fact that you lied about the incident? And if you try to argue, then your saying that it is OK is a lie. We have to clean up after you when you do these things. You are disrupting the boards with these claims. I should say false claims since you say that we do not have to believe you about them. You see how that sounds?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
This is a training exercize we do.. Obvously If I have a Knife I won't just hand over the knife but what it teaches is the fact that with unarmed defenses you have more weapons.. I tell my students they have their Hands, Elbows, Knees Feet and Most importantly their Mind... The Statement of handing over the knife is to make the oponent have a limit... They will more likely use the knife to attack and I have defenses againse that Not Many pople on the street will throw a Jab or Kick with a Knife in their hands.. They will use the knife.. This limits the potential attacks.. YES you have to watch out for the trained indavidual that uses more but I'm talkiing about your common street thug.
This just shows lack of experience, common sense and realism. A knife attacker always has an advantage. A trained individual can absorb a certain amount of punchs/kicks, however, one cut can kill!. The knife can cut on the way in, also can hurt on the way out. Even after the knife arm is grabbed with the right "wiggle" room the blade still has the potential to hurt. Alot of misguided martial artist make the mistake that thier deadly skills, put them one up on a knifeman WRONG!!
Granted man is born with a functional body and a brain. However we have used your brain to create tools to help, strenghten or reinforce your body. Mankind has not the claws of the lion, teeth of a shark, or the speed of a cheetah yet we are the dominate species. Why?? We are tool users

Even as a class drill, this will effective teach the student unrealistic expectations

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bruce,
Police reports are matter of public record. There is not just one copy given to you. If you were willing to give information that would allow people to find the case numbers and details like that, then people could go get the information themselves.

If you are saying that there is no record of what you claim
anywhere then you are plain wrong. If you are saying that you will not do anything to help us verify your claims, then how can you now complain that everyone is calling you fraud?

If you showed some willingness to back up what you claim, or were less willing to make those claims, then there would be a lot less laughing at you now and a lot less mess for us moderators to clean up after.

You said, "If you don't believe me about it.. That's OK." Do you realize just how many people are now going to say as a fact that you lied about the incident? And if you try to argue, then your saying that it is OK is a lie. We have to clean up after you when you do these things. You are disrupting the boards with these claims. I should say false claims since you say that we do not have to believe you about them. You see how that sounds?
I didn't say that... I said that I don't care about the past records. If someone doesn't believe me.. More Power to them. This is not a Point I need to Prove or disprove. And I will not give out my personal information on a forum.. just to prove a point. I have the scars and the memory.. I don't need the papers.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Then don't mention things you can not or will not verify

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Copys of my ID and Badge are on their way to Bob.. If He feels like he needs to post them fine. But I will not give out personal information on an open forum.. As I'm sure most of you would not. To get these records you would need SS# or Other Personal Inforamation and it is not that important that I would give out that information.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am always deeply suspicious of anyone who casually mentions the number of times he's been stabbed or shot but refuses to support these assertions in any way.

• Violent incidents that have been reported are a matter of public record and can be verified.

• Violent incidents that have not been reported are at least potentially crimes and one would have to be a total idiot to admit that they happened but that one did not report them.

When people ask me, "So how many people have you fought/stabbed/killed, Mr. Elmore," I respond simply, "Sorry. Not going to discuss it." The reader is then free to conclude that the number of people I've maimed or murdered is zero. This is safe from a legal standpoint, but it carries with it one significant disadvantage: I can't go swaggering around the Internet telling you what a tough guy I think I am by referring to vague and unsubstantiated violent encounters.

Frankly, Calkins, your credentials or lack thereof don't mean a thing to me. I couldn't care less what memberships, affiliations, or rankings you say you have; these don't mean a thing compared to what you say, do, and teach. You don't really present yourself well in this medium, but being semi-literate has no bearing on one's martial skills.

It is the substance of what you have to say that is disturbing. From hysterically claiming that Don Roley doesn't live in Japan because he's dared to question you (fairly and openly) about your claims, to telling your students they should arm their attackers, to generally making a gigantic, throbbing fool of yourself at this forum, you are your own worst enemy in terms of public relations.

It saddens me that you have students who believe in you.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only reason I speek of my situation like this is so people that are new to the are don't think "Just because your a Martial Artist that you are invincable or something. I have been in the arts for a long time and I have been stabed and Shot.. You can't Block them all... That is the only reason.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
1) It is the substance of what you have to say that is disturbing. From hysterically claiming that Don Roley doesn't live in Japan because he's dared to question you (fairly and openly) about your claims,

2) to telling your students they should arm their attackers,
1) I just believed his Post saying that he was not jiving in Japan. As Soon as he said that it was a Joke. I believed him and Appologized. I have no problem with him he just seems to have a peoblem with me.

2) I NEVER told my students to arm and attacker.. It is a training statement that an attacker with a knife in his hand is less likely to use other techniques. I would much rather fight a inexperieced person with a Knife than a Person with all his arms and legs flying at me. This way I don't have multiple weapons coming in my direction. I have a better chance just watching the knife and defending against that. That is why we teach Knife defense.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would much rather fight a inexperieced person with a Knife than a Person with all his arms and legs flying at me.

Anyone who would say this knows nothing about just how deadly a knife can be, even in the hands of an "inexperienced" person.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BTW NYS has "Security Guard Certification" both armed and unarmed. I dont believe that it has "Bodyguard Certification" Per Se.

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ops/sgtraining/index.htm
Security Guard Training
Introduction
The Security Guard Act of 1992 mandates the training and licensing of security guards and the licensing of private security training schools. The Act also requires that all private security training must be approved and that all private security trainers must be certified. The Division of Criminal Justice Services, Office of Public Safety provides administrative oversight for private security training in New York State. The New York State Department of State, Division of Licensing Services has oversight responsibility for the licensing and registration of all security guards and private security training schools.

If you have questions about licensing or registration, you must direct them to the Division of Licensing Services. You can reach them by phone at (518) 474-4429, by fax at (518) 473-6648, or by email at [email protected]. You can also get answers to many of your licensing questions at the Department of State web site.
Nope..No "Bodyguard" classification here....
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/licensing.html

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, to be an armed guard in NY requires one to have a New York State Pistol License, too -- the same license granted to any private citizen who applies and manages to get one (it's up to the judge on a county by county basis).;

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
Anyone who would say this knows nothing about just how deadly a knife can be, even in the hands of an "inexperienced" person.
Your dam skippy on that one! Even as a training exercise it teachs arrogance and ignorance. Could be the product of too much reliance on wood/rubber knifes

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
Agreed.

Against an experienced person with a knife, if you fight, you die.

Against an inexperienced person with a knife, if you fight, you probably die. IF you get lucky and IF you have trained treating the knife with the respect it reserves, you might get away with a few cuts and win the fight.

Against someone experienced and unarmed, generally the worst you can get is a bad beating. You have a good chance of surviving, and a fair chance of winning if you're well trained, stay cool and get a little bit lucky.

Against someone inexperienced and unarmed, you SHOULD win, but this is still by no means certain.

Thinking that you have more of a chance against someone with a knife than with experience unarmed is a really dangerous level of over-confidence in your ability to handle a weapon...

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Your dam skippy on that one! Even as a training exercise it teachs arrogance and ignorance. Could be the product of too much reliance on wood/rubber knifes
We train largely with wooden knives, and you learn respect for those quickly enough if you catch the point somewhere.... I got hit in the knee once, gave me a cut and bruising bad enough to stop me being able to walk well for a few days. However, it's the slashes that are likely to get you, and those are harder to notice with a wooden knife, which is probably where the marker-pen exercises shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions