BRUCE CALKINS - SHODAI SOKE of Fusho-Satori-Ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Oh my, check out the back wall...THOSE ARE KLINGON WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

upnorthkyosa

PS - What do they call those - btw? I can't remember...
Holy cow, I was going to mention the same thing. The Klingon Bat'leth! That's super sweet. I woulder if he trained under Worf?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
may i add 1 more?

Blocking with the sharp edge of the blade, of course with the block held to low. Resulting a notched blade and a splitting headache
lol. That's what I meant in my #2 when I said "Well, maybe not in this case".

Ahh, Too much pent up anger. With that, I think I'll follow chinto01's lead and call this issue officially buried. [returns to normally humble self...]

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know you had covered the height of the Block, I was jumping on the same thing (My Bad)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I know you had covered the height of the Block, I was jumping on the same thing (My Bad)
lol. It's all good. There's enough wrong with that rediculous picture to mention everything several times. I'm gonna go look for that sword (I refuse to call it a Katana) now.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Robert Koch is a respected school owner in WNY. He's in the Mills lineage I think. http://internationalkenpo.com

The other folks, never heard of em. Unfortunately, WNY is full of basement wannabes with questionable backgrounds. (http://www.buffalotaichi.com/dragonsong/)

You may find more info at http://wnymartialarts.com or ask Kaith as he did the website.

Jedi Calkins sword is a Bud-K wall hanger. Looks "cool", but is a glorified paper opener. Cool pose to put on a website to impress the uneducated, but a real swordsman will rip you to shreads. As to the Batleth, maybe he's seen service on the IKV Melota?
http://www.janissaries.net/ikvmelota/BBC.htm Contains Real Videos of Real Warriors doing the Warrior Arts. :lol: Krap-La! Hod-Calkins! :lol:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Didn't we have the Klingon weapons discussion about this picture in another thread? I don't recall exactly where.

J

Jaymeister

Isn't he kinda chubby, for someone who's trained as much as he claims to have done? That definitely looks like a well-trained beer belly to me

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks, Please keep the "personal" shots out. In some systems, extra mass is a plus.
Not for a swordsman, or an 'acrobatic fighter', but a "ground gamer", yeah...definately.

Skimming back through this.....

Bob Koch - Hes a client of mine. Nice guy, runs one of the larger schools in WNY, good kids program. Also trains whenever he can with some of the top folks in Kenpo. He just got back from a trip to California where he did some training with Larry Tatum and Bob White.

WNYMA - regional info portal, used to be MT's parent site, "way back when". Thanks for the plug.

Klingon Weapons. So what? Batleths are a cross between a staff, a sword and a scycle (spelling.....gah) Fantasy weapon, but one that does have some serious thought behind it.

His sword - He liked it. It's an SLO, but good for a picture. The pose, yeah, sloppy. But, is this in context? Take my pic for example. My "position" isn't as solid as my instructor. Maybe it's an early pic, maybe it was a "quick" shot, I dunno. Theres some info missing here. Now if it was intended to demonstrait kenshin level, well, yeah, then it's pretty bad.

Positioning - sorry, I can't see much right or wrong there.

The picture doesn't tell me much other than he's an average WNYer, who likes swords, is a Trekkie, and decided to pose for a pic and didn't pay too much attention to making it "text book perfect." Based on the other pics on his site, I'd say it was an old pic. I think we can cut the guy some slack on an old picture.

As to the other points...I did some digging, didn't find any information beyond what was posted. I'd be interested in the names, places, and time spent myself. Having thought about what it takes to develop a system, I'd like to know what went through folks heads while putting their stuff together. Why this technique here, and not that one. I like kenpo. System is organized very logically, with a nice progression in most cases. Same with my Arnis training. I've trained with others who appear to have just put stuff they thought was cool together. didn't "flow" well, y'know? I like to know "why" somethings there myself.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Now if it was intended to demonstrait kenshin level, well, yeah, then it's pretty bad.

Positioning - sorry, I can't see much right or wrong there.

The point is, if you're not familiar with a sword, why put the picture there in the first place ? I could understand that if it was on a personal website (and he didn't wear a dogi), but on a web page of his school the only reason I see it to be there is that he's trying to advertize that he knows sword arts, especially since he is wearing his dogi.

As for the positioning, trust me, about the only thing that is almost correct is the position of his hands. I am no expert swordsman myself either, but even to me the kamae makes no sense at all

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. Course, I have a sword pic too.... (I think it says I like big hats and know Photoshop.) :D (It's in my profile.)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In some systems, extra mass is a plus.
Not for a swordsman, or an 'acrobatic fighter', but a "ground gamer", yeah...definately.
I'm not gonna argue with the point of your post...I'd like to believe serious martial artists are above taking personal potshots at someone. Calling someone that fudged their history or makes exagerrated claims is one thing. Attacking and nitpicking on a personal level is out of line, I believe.

However, as far as the quoted statement goes, being a guy with a little "extra mass" myself, I can say it most definitely not usually an advantage, especially the type of weight he's carrying. It just slows you down and there is nothing more tiring than ground work when your overweight, (trust me, personal experience). Sure if your relying on strength and brute force the more mass the better, but if ther's one thing I've learned, it's that brute force only gets you so far, and if you don't have a plan B, your SOL.

I think the physical appearance is a valid one to highlight, how many of the greatest martial artists you can think of were portly? Sure there are exceptions, as with anything else, but most of the one's I can think of we're not, because they trained hard...every day...

So when someone that looks like a couch potato is claiming to have created a martial arts style, it makes it even more incredulous...

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, Since The great Soke has decided to run and hide rather than defend his honor and reputation, we can put all inquiries away as we will never get any enlightment from"Soke" Calkins.

Bruce, I strongly advice that you shed your ego ( 10th Dan Sokeship) and find yourself a teacher that can educate and assist you in your journey in the martial arts. You are not just hurting yourself, you are also hurting your students. Its never too late Bruce.

I am sure that teaching martial arts is your livelyhood, I would never stop you from losing the very source of income that put food on your table. You could always find a part time job and train in a real dojo, not the sporadic training you cliam to have recieved. There is no shame of working non-martial arts job, there may be no glory, fame and wealth , but 10 years from now you will look back and thank me for the advice I just gave you.

To teach martial arts is not merely about barking orders and strutting around the dojo acting like mightier than thou attitude, It is not about intant gratification or posing with your uniform on the net , Teaching Martial arts is about setting examples, its about experiencing and living the virtues that the martial arts has to offer. Virtues such as Honor, Truth, responsibility, accountability, respect , sefl-discipline, humility...etc

These are the very virtues that you lack the most and again its never too late to start fresh !

I'll leave you with this qoute Bruce from Pearl Bailey:

The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat one's self. All sin is easy after that.​

So good luck Bruce and may you find what you were searching for !

T

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
WEhen you look a the website there is a section advetising weapons training. This picture is an attempt to show his mastery of weapons. In othere words, and this is where it gets scary-he's going to pass this crap onto a generation of gullible students.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That picture appears under a section saying "See Soke in Action" or something along those lines. Anyone reading the site and seeing such a link would be expecting to see pictures of actual moves, not bad poses.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... seeing as Bruce isn't responding, maybe its time to move on to something that shows the positive side of martial arts, rather then the negative...

Yes there is a lot of nonsense out there, but by focusing on it everytime it shows up it makes the problem seem a lot worse then it is. Which is more likely to keep people from joining ANY school, not just avoiding the bad ones.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
One cannot defend that which one has not.

Mr. Calkins wants to be respected for his almost 4 decades of training.
He wants to be seen as an inovator, a leader, and an expert in his field.

There is nothing wrong with that.

What he has seemingly lost is the ability to learn, correct and adapt. This forum has a rich and wide array of talent. One cannot help but be enriched by the interaction.
Except when one is close minded and "sure" they are right.

Mr. Calkins came here to socialize with other martial artists. He expected to be welcomed as a respected leader due the respect his rank deserves. What he got was the cold taste of reality. A taste that was bitter in his mouth.

The reality is that when one walks their own path with complete disregard and disrespect for a people, culture, lanuage and history, others will be there to correct and let truth shine through.

He could have been humble and simply replied "thank you".
He could have replied "Thats not what I was taught, lets swap sources."
But, he did not.

He was asked qyuestions about his history, and due to grammer, spelling or comprehension issues never could give a satisfactory answer.

Mr. Calkins is someone whom I believe means well, but is unable, or unwilling to open his mind to the posibility that what he is doing is incorrect. I don't know if his training is real or not. There is no proof, other than certs on his wall. He reminds me of the child in denial when told there is no Santa Claus. It's a pity really.

Now, he leaves us, never having answered the questions. The Simple questions that could have saved his reputation and allowed us to welcome him into the family.

Goodbye Mr. Calkins. I hope that someday your path will lead you to enlightenment.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Leaves us? I just checked his profile, he was looking at a thread only 10 minutes ago... Maybe he just doesn't know we're discussing him here.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Site keeps asking for facts and when it comes from my typing no one believes it. Like The Titles.... YES Sempai means Senoir.... In the Japanese Dict.. But it has been used for "Senoir Student" "Student Instructor" "Assit. Instructor"... for years.. why was I questioned and slamed as not knowing what I am talking about on this. Shodai Soke is also one of these used tearm...

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/wmal/page17.html

I would like to address the issue concerning the use of titles such as Soke, Shodai, Grandmaster and others, as well as some other issues. It seems that there are many traditionalists who are offended by Americans using these terms. They would rather see the use of the title Soke dropped, and Americans use the title of Founder. They don't understand why Americans insist on using an Asian term. They are also complaining about 40 year old Grandmasters. The last time I heard so much whining and crying was from children in a daycare center, and even they didn't cry as much as some of these people who call themselves martial artists. I will begin with some facts that many may or may not know

First, I will address the issue of Americans using Japanese terms. This has been going on since the Japanese arts were brought to America. After all of these years, Americans still butcher the name Kara-Te. We pronounce it Ka Rotty. We also see it used in conjunction with the word "American". Schools call it American Karate. Is Karate American? Absolutely not, but people call it this anyway and it has been accepted as the norm. What about the Koreans? The Korean Yudo Association has changed its name to the Korean Judo Association. How dare those Koreans use a Japanese term (Judo). Isn't saying Korean Judo the same as saying American Karate? How about American Kenpo? Many American martial artists use the term dojo or dojang, yet no one complains about that. Many of the modern schools still teach Asian terminology, respect and discipline. So, this is okay, but once the word Soke comes into play, it's taboo. It was acceptable for Americans to use the term Sensei. Why is it okay for a 3rd dan to be called Sensei, or a higher ranking Grandmaster to go by the title of Shidoshi, but not okay for the founder of a system to have the title of Soke? This does not make sense.

As far as the title of Soke, Shodai or any other Asian term, why do Americans use it? Well, I am sure there are several reasons. Probably one reason is just because it sounds better than Founder. It is related more to the martial arts. I, myself, prefer the title Founder, but regardless, what difference does it make as long as the person has trained hard and earned the title. I cannot speak for everyone who carries the title of Soke, but I can honestly say that those I have met do not require anyone to call them by this title. Of course there are those who use the title of Soke to impress people which is not a good practice. Anyone who founds their own system is a Soke or Shodai, however, that does not mean they should go around calling themselves Soke. Maybe some of the old Masters such as Ueshiba, Kano, Shimabuku, Oyama and others never used the title of Soke, but nonetheless, all of these men were.

As for 40 year old Grandmasters, let me shed some light on this subject. Bruce Lee was only in his early 30s when he passed away, yet he was and is still highly respected, yet he never earned a black belt. His art of Jeet Kune Do is still practiced today by many and Bruce Lee is still admired throughout the world.
At age 31, Hwang Kee combined Soo Bahk Do / Tae-Kyon, Karate Formd out of books, with the Chinese T'ang method and developed Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.
At age 40, Mas Oyama established his Kyokushinkai headquarters. Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee of Tang Soo Do was a 6th Dan at the age of 29 and by the time he was 40 received his 9th dan. From the information I was able to gather, Grandmaster Ji, Han Jae of Sin Moo Hapkido studied with Choi, Yong Sool from 1953 until 1956, only three years before opening his own school, An Moo Kwan. In 1957, Ji held the rank of 3rd Dan in Yu Kwon Sool. Only six years from his beginning with Choi, Ji Han Jae claims to have founded Hapkido in 1959. And lastly, how dare a 22 year old with only a few years of study in Jiu-Jitsu found his own art and call it Judo. Jigoro Kano was born in 1860, received instruction in Jiu-Jitsu for the first time in 1877, and by 1882, he founded Judo. By the time Kano was 40, Judo had come to enjoy great popularity.

Regarding martial artists who found their own systems, they are not doing anything that the Grandmasters and Masters of the past didn't do. If you look into the history of what people consider traditional martial arts, every art was founded by someone who trained in different arts before developing their own. Look at the art of Hankido. This combines Korean Hapkido with Japanese Aikido. Mas Oyama trained in Chabi (a combination of Kempo and JuJitsu), Shotokan and Goju-Ryu before developing his Kyokushinkai. This is true tradition. I laugh when so-called traditionalists make comments about newly founded systems. They don't seem to realize that at one time the art they are studying was also considered a new martial art.

I have recently received a letter from a group stating that martial arts organizations with mixed styles are just made up of individuals who could not make it in the real martial arts. What they are basically saying is that Hwang Kee, Morihei Ueshiba, Yong Sool Choi, Mas Oyama, Jigoro Kano, Tatsuo Shimabuku, as well as more modern martial artists such as Wally Jay, Bruce Lee, and many others who founded their own styles and systems could not make it in the real martial arts, or possibly these dinosaurs as they call themselves are just a bunch of followers who could not make it as leaders and they are jealous of those who do lead. If you are a follower, then follow, if you are a leader then lead, but one should not look down on others for having a different outlook on things. The world would never evolve and progress without those who take a chance.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:deadhorse Are we?? There is also the sense that when somespreads the B.S. thick it takes a little time to shovel the place out!!

Mr Calkins seems to be very nonconfrontational, and the aformentioned inabilty to learn anything (How the hell do you get to Sokeship with that attitude?)

The good thing learned here??

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks,
Mr. Calkins has been hammered on pretty hard the last week or so. A fair amount of that hammering is in my opinion justifiable. He claims a high rank and title while demonstrating some significant holes in the knowledgebase. It's fair to ask for clairification, especially when there are grammer/spelling errors and factual discrepencies with what we ourselves know.

A fair amount of the commentary however, wasn't justified. While it does fit into "opinion", calling someone a loon, a nutcase, a wackjob, etc. is usually not the best way to get answers to your questions. We can hurl insults about personal appearence all we want. If being overweight, bald or a geek means you can't do martialarts, then I'm pretty much damned myself.

Y'all beat him up pretty good. Now, stand back and give the guy room to gather his thoughts and deal with the questions raised.

And before anyone gets the "Great Kaiths defending another fraud" crap going, I'm going on record here. No, I'm not. I'm giving Mr. Calkins the chance to either redeem or hang himself. I'm as sceptical as anyone here. I'd like to see the answers as well, especially since this is in my own backyard.

I asked an associate of mine (Native born Japanese man in his late 50's) what some terms meant. He stated Soke = Founder.
"What does Soke mean?"
"Founder"
"So if I start my own style of martial arts, I'm a Soke?"
"Yes. If others recognize you as one though, that is different."

One other point.
ANYONE using the "Email A Member" feature to harass, threaten or mailbomb a member will be dealt with harshly. That is abuse of service and completely against the charter of this site as well as your ISP's own TOS I'm certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions