BRUCE CALKINS - SHODAI SOKE of Fusho-Satori-Ryu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce,

I am posting this on a separate thread because there are some unaswered post that you may have forgotten its existence:

This thread does need your attention:

Fusho-Satori-Ryu

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23929

You know Bruce, So far you have been dodging inquiries from various threads like cockroaches when lights are turned on !

Everytime you post in another thread your credibility and reputation in the martial arts community goes down like an olympic downhill skier who's about to crash land.

I strongly suggest that stop posting your insane drivel on forum, and It is also obvious to us that making sense isn't your area of expertise.

Just when I think I've read the last of your "well resurched" post , you go and post another thread.

Bottom line is Bruce, before assaulting unsuspecting readers of this forum with a litany of misspellings, egregious grammatical errors, and your martial arts history atrocities. MAKE AN EFFORT to kindly research the facts before you post.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh there are other threads in which he has failed to provide any answers (well, you knew that already didn't you). So let's make it easier on mr. Calkins and combine all the questions here. My favourite unanswered question, mr. Calkins, is the claim that sifu has proven levitation. How has he done this and to whom ? And a follow-up on that is that if he has indeed proven that levitation is possible, why doesn't he take the One million dollar paranormal challenge ? The usual arguments for not taking this are, I believe, something like: "we're not in this for money", "there's nothing paranormal about it" and "they're biased, so even if we prove it, they still wouldn't pay".

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof!

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another interesting bio from the World Combat Martial Artists Association membership page:

Shodai Soke Bruce D. Calkins 10th Deg. Black Belt Fusho Satori Ryu
1st Degree Black Belt IKKA Kenpo
1st Degree Black Belt Aikido

Following on from my other post on this subject (in another thread), it would still seem that a modern 10th degree black belt is approximately the same as TWO shodan grades... And one of them (the aikido grade) has been questioned by members here because it only took about a year to obtain, soemthing most people would only have the opportunity to do legitimately through Yoshinkan Aikido, which this wasn't.

This truly does seem to be one of the worst cases of rank inflation I've ever seen.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another one, this time from the Eagle Martial Arts Registery
  • Fusho-Satori-Ryu 10th degree Black
  • Tsunami-Ryu Karate-Do 6th Degre Black
  • Ryu-Kai Martial Arts 2nd Degree Black
  • I.K.K.A. Kenpo 1st Degree Black
  • Shaolin Kung-Fu Red Sash
  • Black Star Ninjitsu Black Sash
  • Aikido 1st Degree Black

Tsunami-Ryu was the friend's style he helped set up if I remember rightly, Ryu-Kai was another friend's system he trained in for a short time. Even with all those qualifications a 10th dan would be dubious, but whent he 2 highest grades are in systems made up by associated of him, it's even worse.

Of course, if Mr Calkins would like to add some insight as to why after so little training in real styles he felt he was worthy of the 10th Dan, I'm all ears...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ryu_Kai I would'nt mind a lineage on this one

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't go back and edit my posts now, but I just wanted to comment on the difference between the two rank lists.

Most of the time, if you advertise a fairly low grade in your "rank profile" you will advertise all of them. I'm sure most people would agree with me that if you've advertised yourself as a 1st Dan in a generic context, you would also include any higher grades. It's a similar situation to having a Bachelors, Masters and PhD, if you've mentioned the Bachelors to someone it's unlikely that you would fail to mention the others.

As there are no dates for the profiles on the websites I mentioned above, it's not possible to confirm this hypothesis, but I suspect that the grades in Ryu-Kai and Tsunami-Ryu probably came AFTER the 10th Dan in his own style. In which case, this gets us back to the point that I made in my first of the 2 posts: At the time he created his own system and awarded himself a 10th Dan in it, he only had 2 black belts, both shodans.

If true, this is quite simply ridiculous!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I'm makking a assumption. But given the grasp of history and physical concepts-it would be hard to argue otherwise

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aegis said:
If true, this is quite simply ridiculous!

Hard to argue with that....

http://www.goldendragondojo.com/renshibio.html

In 1979 Soke formed the style of Golden Dragon Karate. A Blend of his training over the years.
Which by then included:
  • red sash in Shaolin kung-fu (and 5 animal styles, including toad :))
  • a year of aikido
  • less than a year (november 1975 - august 1976) at Black Star Ninjitsu academy (a style so secret that only references to it on the internet are all by mr. Calkins himself and the American Ninja - movies)
  • training on his own

Then later on:
In 1994 Soke Calkins met Sensei David Mason in a style called Yami-Umi-Do
I think this style is nowadays known as Tsunami ryu
Working with one of the instructors of Yami-Umi-Do Soke also trained in the style of Ryu-Kai a blended style called "Style of Styles."
and
In 1995 Soke met and taught with Sensei Robert Koch of Warrior Self Defense. A Kenpo Instructor in the I.K.K.A. system of Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate

So it would seem that the kenpo first degree black belt is the only real rank, IF that one is real. I sincerely doubt that you can receive a first dan in aikido in year, except by studying it several hours a day, seven days a week.

One thing we can tell for sure, mr. Calkins has absolutely no idea how to handle a sword!
DaiSword.jpg

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also without any idea of what freakin sword to buy either!!

Seriously, Reading your website I read the editorial piece that your regularly crow about. First I would hope it is an allegoriacal rather than factual account. But how did your dedicated, sincere and disiplined students feel when you bypassed them in a effort to elevate someone who did'nt listen, practice, show respect and even disrupted those who wanted to train? Were they thinking in the immoratal words of Jonny Rotten "Did you ever feel cheated?" maybe at that point they realized that in the school of unborn illumination that rank is not earned but given as a gift.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TimoS said:
One thing we can tell for sure, mr. Calkins has absolutely no idea how to handle a sword!
DaiSword.jpg
Oh my, check out the back wall...THOSE ARE KLINGON WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

upnorthkyosa

PS - What do they call those - btw? I can't remember...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Bal'laat. Bigger question is what Dojo would hang these on thier wall?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Oh my, check out the back wall...THOSE ARE KLINGON WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

upnorthkyosa

PS - What do they call those - btw? I can't remember...
This utterly rediculous picture (and the one of him holding up his dirty foot) that caused me to start shaking so bad, I couldn't respond. And I didn't even notice the Klingon weapons. Breathe Don, breeeeeathe....

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay Folks lets have a little contest

How many things are wrong in the above posted picture?
I count 7-What are they?
(mods you can delete this if it is too much)

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Calkins it seems to me that you are the topic of discussion for about the last week now. I believe a lot of this would just go away if you do one of two things. First answer some of the tough questions that people have asked of you, or second just not reply to some of the posts. Your answers show that your 37 years of training is at best questionable.

My friends as I have stated before maybe it is time to bury this issue. It is painfully obvious that we will never get the answers we want. His silence speaks for itself. Now the claim by him of training in Japan. He still has yet to answer with whom he trained and when. With all that being said unless there is a major development in this subject (him actually answering some questions) I am not going to post in this subject anymore. We are feeding his ego by doing so and I have more important things to worry about. There is true knowledge to be gained and I would rather use my time in a more productive manner. Mr. Calkins once again I look forward to your response.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Hand position is all wrong.(At least they're not backwards).
2. Blade is too low and at the wrong angle. Well, maybe not in this case.
3. I'm not sure about his style, but in my art, his belt is upside down. Black is always on top.

Still lookin'....

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
4 - Sageo tied incorrectly?
5 - Not only is the actual physical location of the hands wrong, the grip of each hand is also incorrect ;)

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Okay Folks lets have a little contest

How many things are wrong in the above posted picture?
I count 7-What are they?
(mods you can delete this if it is too much)

Let's see now....

1. first and foremost: the blade
2. klingon blades
3. nonsensical stance
4. sageo seems oddly tied, but you can't be sure from the picture
5. you should use a different obi with a sword (although often I'm too lazy to change back and forth when I have a tojutsu class just before karate class)
6. there's a bottle opener nailed to the wall (to the left of the shaken)
7. can't be sure about this but it looks like the right elbow is way too high (and just begging to be cut)
8. hand positioning, while not totally wrong (certainly not kendo positioning) is not what it should be (e.g. right hand too close to tsuba, or "tsuba" in this case and left hand.... well, let's just say that I can't understand how he's keeping his hand)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ba-Bing

Congradulations to Gemini and TimoS. You have a great eye for detail

may i add 1 more?

Blocking with the sharp edge of the blade, of course with the block held to low. Resulting a notched blade and a splitting headache

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Blocking with the sharp edge of the blade, of course with the block held to low. Resulting a notched blade and a splitting headache

Too true... I just wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a block :) Too bad e-budo is still down, I think our esteemed mr. Calkins was featured in their KKKK thread (Krappy Karate Katana Kamae)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions