To Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

camilyon

White Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

It is always a pleasure to correspond with and learn from a noted master. I was wondering, from what institution did you recieve your Ph.D in Anatomical Physics?

Salute
smileJap.gif
Camilyon

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
camilyon said:
Doc,

It is always a pleasure to correspond with and learn from a noted master. I was wondering, from what institution did you recieve your Ph.D in Anatomical Physics?

Salute
smileJap.gif
Camilyon
Uh ohhhhhhh :eek: Now you have done it............:xtrmshock

M

Mark Weiser

Pulling up a chair and bringing popcorn and the softdrinks lol lol. This good get interesting.

Reactions: Doc

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Several years before Ed Parker's death, Dr. Chap'el was awarded his 7th degree Black Belt Diploma after completing an assigned thesis project examining the rank structure of the IKKA. Since the passing of Professor Parker, Dr. Chap'el has been awarded his 8th, and 9th ranking by the prestigious American Teachers Association of the Martial Arts, (ATAMA) founded by Shaolin Kenpo Grandmaster Ralph Castro. He has been awarded a 9th degree from Dan-San Ryu Jiu-Jitsu, a 9th degree from the World Federation of Karate-Do, and a 9th degree from the Universal Martial Arts Society. He was awarded the position of 10th degree from the University and ATAMA with Ed Parker Jr. sitting on the Credentials Committee."

The "University" spoken of here is the Ed Parker Institute-University of Martial Science.

In addition to continuing Professor Parker’s teachings and developing Advanced American Kenpo Concepts, Dr. Chap'el is the Senior Master Professor of the Ed Parker Institute-University of Martial Science. The University reflects Dr. Chap'el 's commitment to furthering Ed Parker's American Kenpo, over and above “belt mills.” The University emphasizes the educational aspect of Kenpo, endeavoring to make the "school" function as a college university by emphasizing knowledge through course work over unearned “belts,” and questionable skills.

The information here was taken from the "A Spoonful of Knowledge University" website, where Martial Science is listed as a course. I would guess that Dr. Chap'el got his Ph.D from either this University, or from the Ed Parker Institute-University of Martial Science.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoDave said:
The "University" spoken of here is the Ed Parker Institute-University of Martial Science.

The information here was taken from the "A Spoonful of Knowledge University" website, where Martial Science is listed as a course. I would guess that Dr. Chap'el got his Ph.D from either this University, or from the Ed Parker Institute-University of Martial Science.

:asian:
Actually neither of those "institutions." However I never devulge personal information about myself beyond kenpo on the internet. Call it an occupational liability, or need to know. Either way. :)

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Where does the name "Doc" come from, then? Surely, as the nom de plume you use here, you feel confident discussing its origins.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Where does the name "Doc" come from, then? Surely, as the nom de plume you use here, you feel confident discussing its origins.
Those who know me personally began calling me that when I received my Ph.D. 6 years ago. It stuck.

MHeeler

White Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Actually neither of those "institutions." However I never devulge personal information about myself beyond kenpo on the internet. Call it an occupational liability, or need to know. Either way. :)
How do your academic credentials qualify as "personal information?" As a "professor," isn't your educational background important information? Do you divulge this information to your current students, or prospective students, for that matter? I would think that, as a professional and an educator, it would be an "occupational liability" NOT to reveal the content of your educational and academic background. With the advent of easily bought "degrees" online and elsewhere, real educational training at respected, accredited institutions are definitely "need to know."

MH

S

Steamboat

If you read Dr. Chapel's profile it states that he is a federal agent. If I was a federal agent I would give out limited personal info on the internet as well.

It seems to me that if some people would do a modest amount of research on the history of EPAK they would spend less time attacking this pioneers credability and more time asking him for insights to improve thier own abilities.

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
MHeeler said:
How do your academic credentials qualify as "personal information?" As a "professor," isn't your educational background important information? Do you divulge this information to your current students, or prospective students, for that matter? I would think that, as a professional and an educator, it would be an "occupational liability" NOT to reveal the content of your educational and academic background. With the advent of easily bought "degrees" online and elsewhere, real educational training at respected, accredited institutions are definitely "need to know."

MH
You know that's kind of humorous asking how MY academic background is MY personal information. Sort of like me asking you if your IQ is your business, (which of course, it is).:) The idea of, being in a forum on the internet, having a conversation with someone who has chosen to not even put a name in their profile, questioning me about my occupation qualifications, also strikes ma as a tad funny and Alpha Centaury ballsy.

The accredited academic colleges and universities where I teach and have taught seem to be satisfied with my background examination and credentials, and students aware of my credentials have had no complaints with my performance. The same can be said of my Kenpo students, who are somewhat less demanding academically, but much more focused on physical teaching ability. Nevertheless they would seem to be satisfied, and I have never ever lost a student to another Kenpo teacher in 42 years of teaching Kenpo. My other occupation has chosen to annoint me with a "top secret" clearance, in fact a large segment of my students also have these clearances, so we "check each other out" pretty well. Should you decide to become a student in one of my Kenpo classes you would be oblidged to fill out a background form and confidentiality waiver, with a little more information than your profile lists. This, obliging you to give up information in exchange for information, as opposed to high horse anonymous demands from behind a keyboard. I must say I've been somewhat suspicious as of late because there has been a rash of "light" profiles from single digit newbie posters who seem focused on me personally. If this seem paranoid, I'm reminded by one of my DEA students, "It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you." But in all seriousness, I've had some real significant experiences that justify my cautiousness, and that will continue into retirement.

Yes degrees are easily purchased, (even accredited and unaccredited) if you have the money. With the right amount of money donated you can buy a "real" degree from any institution. Some with acquired legitimate degrees are awful teachers, (we've all had some of them in college). So I guess ultimately the only thing you can go by is performance once you are immersed in a teaching/learning environment.

At any rate, to answer your question, anyone who finds themselves in one of my classes is fully aware of my credentials relevant to the class being taught as they should be. Now would you please give me your name, social security number, and date of birth. Nothing personal, I just want to make sure you're a "real" person and verify your identity to post here.

M

Mark Weiser

Doc your a Riot LOL! oh by the way in the arena of Cyberspace. You have to keep your guard up since there are persons and governments that dedicate all the resources towards a single goal.

Doc is justified in being Paranoid lol. And yes Doc they are out to get you!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Doc your a Riot LOL! oh by the way in the arena of Cyberspace. You have to keep your guard up since there are persons and governments that dedicate all the resources towards a single goal.

Doc is justified in being Paranoid lol. And yes Doc they are out to get you!
I know, and you're crazy. :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc said:
Those who know me personally began calling me that when I received my Ph.D. 6 years ago. It stuck.
Correction, more like almost 10 years ago. Time flys when you get old. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
You know that's kind of humorous asking how MY academic background is MY personal information. Sort of like me asking you if your IQ is your business
Dates of attendence at a college or university and degree(s) earned are public info. and will be verified by the school's registrar upon request. This is not analogous to an IQ score. Things like that (and, more practically, GPA) are different. Where a person earned his or her Ph.D. is a matter of record. The dissertation would be filed with UMI, and the university would verify the degree without consulting the former student for permission. In fact, the dissertation would be on file in the school's library. In rare circumstances it might be restricted for a period of time for security or propietary reasons, but would still be listed as being a restricted item. No, you're simply mistaken--if you received your degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S., it is not your information. A Ph.D. enters a person into the "community of scholars" where open sharing of knowledge is a virtue (albeit one not always honored).

I have never, ever met or heard of a Ph.D. holder who was unwilling to state where he or she had studied...and I've met quite a few of them in my day. Further, it's hard for me to understand why your life would be in danger if people knew you had studied at UCLA rather than USC. Are LEOs from state schools at higher risk?

Having held a Top Secret clearance myself, I can't imagine what that has to do with anything. There are no classified degrees, although there are degree programs that require a clearance for entrance into them at some federal schools. But, having such a degree--like having a clearance--is not itself classified.

Add to this the fact that I am unaware of any school in the U.S. that offers any degree in "Anatomical Physics" at any level. A web search lends support to the belief that this is at best a very rare degree program. Individualized majors are rare at the doctoral level, though not unheard of. Can you point me to a list of schools offering a course of study in your field? Where would a young person go to study Anatomical Physics (not kinesology, biomechanics, physiology, physical education, or anything standard like that).

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Dates of attendence at a college or university and degree(s) earned are public info. and will be verified by the school's registrar upon request. This is not analogous to an IQ score. Things like that (and, more practically, GPA) are different. Where a person earned his or her Ph.D. is a matter of record. The dissertation would be filed with UMI, and the university would verify the degree without consulting the former student for permission. In fact, the dissertation would be on file in the school's library. In rare circumstances it might be restricted for a period of time for security or propietary reasons, but would still be listed as being a restricted item. No, you're simply mistaken--if you received your degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S., it is not your information. A Ph.D. enters a person into the "community of scholars" where open sharing of knowledge is a virtue (albeit one not always honored). I have never, ever met or heard of a Ph.D. holder who was unwilling to state where he or she had studied...and I've met quite a few of them in my day. Further, it's hard for me to understand why your life would be in danger if people knew you had studied at UCLA rather than USC. Are LEOs from state schools at higher risk?
I said it was personal, and it will remain that way whether you understand it or not.
Having held a Top Secret clearance myself, I can't imagine what that has to do with anything. There are no classified degrees, although there are degree programs that require a clearance for entrance into them at some federal schools. But, having such a degree--like having a clearance--is not itself classified.
Never said it was.
Add to this the fact that I am unaware of any school in the U.S. that offers any degree in "Anatomical Physics" at any level. A web search lends support to the belief that this is at best a very rare degree program. Individualized majors are rare at the doctoral level, though not unheard of. Can you point me to a list of schools offering a course of study in your field? Where would a young person go to study Anatomical Physics (not kinesology, biomechanics, physiology, physical education, or anything standard like that).

I guess there is a lot you don't know, and seeing you have switched over to this topic tells me alot and your motives are clear. You have your opinion and they may be genuine, however it appears to me you want to nitpick and argue points that have nothing to do with Kenpo and attack me and the MSU in particular. You are mis-stating everything I said. You can grind your axe somewhere else. I stand by all my statements and fortunately I'm not held captive to your beliefs or understanding on anything. My work and what I choose to devulge about myself fortunately as an American citizen is protected, while you make all these demands from behind closed doors. Yes there is much information about us as citizens that is a matter of public record, but that doesn't mean I have to give it to you. Perhaps you can understand that, maybe not. There is no way I am going to lay my personal life out for your or anyone's approval. You got a problem with that, make an appointment and you can see me personally, after I get all of your personal information and look you up.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo_cory said:
You can have all my personal information and look me up if I can come see ya and learn some Kenpo Doc. :)
I appreciate that. Its all about the students and their learning in the end. Perhaps that is why I keep students. Look forward to hooking up one day.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I appreciate that. Its all about the students and their learning in the end. Perhaps that is why I keep students. Look forward to hooking up one day.

Thanks Mr. Chapel. You think I bug ya with PM's, wait till I meet you. I got enough questions about kenpo to drive you nuts.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
it appears to me you want to nitpick and argue points that have nothing to do with Kenpo and attack me and the MSU in particular.
I want to get a clear understanding of the use of the word 'science' in the title of the MSU, and the nature of the B.S./M.S./Ph.D. degrees it grants. The question of your qualifications seems an obvious point of departure. You seem to be portraying yourself as the head of a degree-granting body who is willing to state that he has a Ph.D. but not willing to allow verification of that claim. Does anything about that strike you as odd?

You are mis-stating everything I said.
You haven't said enough for that to be a possibility.

As to demands, this is a discussion board and I'm discussing. It's a common enough occurrence among academics, incidentally--trading information, testing ideas via friendly argumentation, etc. It's codified in the traditions of publishing one's research, and in the public dissertation defense. I'm not the one who has made unsupported claims, am I?

Yes there is much information about us as citizens that is a matter of public record, but that doesn't mean I have to give it to you.
Agreed. But you're trying to have it both ways, claiming to be a Ph.D. in a nonstandard field but not being willing to back up your claim. You want to eat your cake by being called Dr., then have it too with this "I've got a secret!" game. Why should you not be questioned on that? If I were to announce on this forum that I'm an 8th degree black belt in Kenpo, personally promoted by the Founder himself prior to his death, wouldn't many ask about the certificate?

You got a problem with that, make an appointment and you can see me personally, after I get all of your personal information and look you up.
Hmmm, having received so much exposure on this board, I forgot that my public profile doesn't actually have my name. Are you hinting about that? It's Jeff Leader, as Kaith Rustaz will verify for you. A Yahoo! search will turn up all you might want to know about me, I think, unless you're implying that you have better sources of information available to you because of your occupation.

But trying to distract attention from you by turning it on me is such an obvious tactic. Mr Chap'el, is your Ph.D. an earned degree, and if so, where did you earn it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions