Broken Gift, Gift of Destiny etc..

S

Self_Destruct

Originally posted by Seig

Self Destruct, I am about to go on a rant and I hope you do not take offense or take it personally. IF any others are offended, my apologies now. The entire tenor of this post just chaps my :moon: . This is not against Self Destruct personally, but directed at ANYONE that feels KNOWLEDGE that they have gained form someone else, belongs to them! If you are an AK stylist, even an offshoot, then your knowledge stems from Mr. Parker, and even though I was not blessed with his acquaintance, I think he would be appalled that people take his gift, rearrange, call it their own and then refuse to share with any one seeking knowledge, simply because they did not join his organization. Now, SD, I respect the fact that you made a promise and honor dictates you keep said promise. That is not what has my knickers in a twist, it's the fact that you had to make the :cuss: thing to begin with. I will not, because I am in a fowl mood address some other things in this post, because it will become an personal attack that is probably undeserved and unwarranted.....:soapbox:

No offense taken...you're certainly entiled to your opinion and as long as you disagree in a respectful way it is welcome. I think you're getting the wrong idea so let me try to explain a little better. I'll address each one of your arguments seperately so this will be easy to read...

If you are an AK stylist, even an offshoot, then your knowledge stems from Mr. Parker, and even though I was not blessed with his acquaintance, I think he would be appalled that people take his gift, rearrange, call it their own and then refuse to share with any one seeking knowledge, simply because they did not join his organization.

The reason behind not spreading around the material on the internet has nothing to do with joining the organization or mystifying the art as someone else mentioned. Nor does Mr. Pick think the knowledge belongs to him only.

S

Self_Destruct

Originally posted by Self_Destruct

The reason behind not spreading around the material on the internet has nothing to do with joining the organization or mystifying the art as someone else mentioned. Nor does Mr. Pick think the knowledge belongs to him only.

I originally wrote a mile long post and when I posted it only this came out. Damn it.....I'll try again tomorrow.

S

Self_Destruct

Originally posted by Seig

Self Destruct, I am about to go on a rant and I hope you do not take offense or take it personally. IF any others are offended, my apologies now. The entire tenor of this post just chaps my :moon: . This is not against Self Destruct personally, but directed at ANYONE that feels KNOWLEDGE that they have gained form someone else, belongs to them! If you are an AK stylist, even an offshoot, then your knowledge stems from Mr. Parker, and even though I was not blessed with his acquaintance, I think he would be appalled that people take his gift, rearrange, call it their own and then refuse to share with any one seeking knowledge, simply because they did not join his organization. Now, SD, I respect the fact that you made a promise and honor dictates you keep said promise. That is not what has my knickers in a twist, it's the fact that you had to make the :cuss: thing to begin with. I will not, because I am in a fowl mood address some other things in this post, because it will become an personal attack that is probably undeserved and unwarranted.....:soapbox:

Lets try this again!!!!

No offense taken...you're certainly entiled to your opinion and as long as you disagree in a respectful way it is welcome. I think you're getting the wrong idea so let me try to explain a little better. I'll address each one of your arguments seperately so this will be easy to read...

quote: If you are an AK stylist, even an offshoot, then your knowledge stems from Mr. Parker, and even though I was not blessed with his acquaintance, I think he would be appalled that people take his gift, rearrange, call it their own and then refuse to share with any one seeking knowledge, simply because they did not join his organization.

The reason behind not spreading around the material on the internet has nothing to do with joining the organization or mystifying the art as someone else mentioned. Nor does Mr. Pick think the knowledge belongs to him. One reason is that he is strongly against learning Kenpo through books, videos, or internet. You need a human instructor in front of you to teach and correct you. You need to make contact and cause a reaction. Iron Sharpens Iron, Man Sharpens Man. If I were to post a technique it would be very difficult to do. Everything we do is so very specific from the way you turn your foot to achive proper body alignment at the very beginning, to the way you launch forward, to the way you make your block...and so on. I'd have to use a bunch of terminology that really wouldn't make sense to you. It would be impossible without being there to show you. Now say you take this flawed information that I gave you and tried it out. Now two things could happen.
1.) You could say "this sucks, this would never work!" Now any time you hear the UKF mentioned all you have is a negative opinion caused by misinformation.
2.) You say "hey this is cool!" and you go show your buddy what some guy from the UKF taught you. He shows his buddy, and so on down the line until there's a group of people doing UKF material wrong. Either way it's a gross misrepresentation that ultimatly traces back to me.

Another reason is that there are some things you just don't teach to everybody. Things like neckbreaks, spine compressions, and how to butcher someone with a knife. Ed Parker himself is a prime example of this. He taught many people over the years but how many did he teach the Kenpo knife to? A very select few. Now how many people did he go into great detail with about the knife? One...mabye two at the most. He even wrote a book called "Speak with a Knife" that he decided to never publish and only let a few read the manuscript for that exact reason. Same goes with his book "Speak with a Club" although Ed Jr. may be publishing that one in the future.

Not joining the organization has nothing to do with it either. Mr. Pick trains many people from other organizations and schools. Some even outside of Kenpo. The Special Forces 10th Division being one of them. For the most part UKF schools are small and non-commercial. Not everyone who walks through the door is accepted as a student. You can't buy your way into the UKF. You have to be a serious, sincere, responsible person. To then go and post the material on the internet would undermind that whole process. Just as I told Rainman...go visit a UKF school if you're really interested and they would be more than happy to show you what we do in person, face to face.

Now, I'm sure if you're saying that Mr. Pick has no right to change things when you said "people take his gift, rearrange, call it their own". If thats what you're saying let me know and I'll discuss that in another post.

Now, SD, I respect the fact that you made a promise and honor dictates you keep said promise. That is not what has my knickers in a twist, it's the fact that you had to make the :cuss: thing to begin with

I didn't have to make any promise. I'm a grown man and enter all commitments with my eyes open. Those are my teachers wishes and I respect and agree with them. I spent a long time in the IKKA and the UKF is were I want to be.

I will not, because I am in a fowl mood address some other things in this post, because it will become an personal attack that is probably undeserved and unwarranted

Bring it on. You can address anything you like. I stand by everything I say and I am willing to back it up. Like I said in the beginning...as long as you disagree in a respectfull way your opinion is welcome. I hope this all makes sense. My original post that was lost was much better than this one.

S

Self_Destruct

Originally posted by Rainman

Same as you have loyalties I do as well... It is important that I honor them in a simular albeit less rigid format than the rules you must adhere to. Kinda limits you on what you can say though which leaves you out of basically all arguments;)
:asian:

No, not really. I don't see it as an argument. When the discussion becomes an argument I'm no longer interested. That's what I like about this board versus many others. People can actually disagree without acting like a buch of jack@sses. But anyway, I can discuss many things...I just won't post the actual written material.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Self_Destruct

No, not really. I don't see it as an argument. When the discussion becomes an argument I'm no longer interested. That's what I like about this board versus many others. People can actually disagree without acting like a buch of jack@sses. But anyway, I can discuss many things...I just won't post the actual written material.

Argument is another word for debating a particular point of view. ;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self Destruct has a good point in that he is following his teachers wishes. We all must respect one of the most important values of the Art and that is Loyalty and Respect.

If his teacher wishes to keep the material he shows to his student between them then so be it. Many instructors do this and it should not be viewed as not sharing because he is....... but only with his personal student much like history dictates that we learned from father to son down.

His teacher IS sharing his art for what ever reason or value he gets (monetary or otherwise) so we must respect that.

If we seek this exact same knowledge then we might should contact the Instructor directly and ask to learn that which what we seek in the proper manner.

just my thoughts.......

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do agree with you that many go off and re-work Mr. Parkers material and then say it's theirs. THAT CHAPS MY :moon: ALSO! so I do agree with that..... but I also agree with what I outlined ..... there is a differnce.......

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:wah: :idea: :kiss: :moon:

I feel like I'm back in the military. Gotta kiss major booty to get anywhere. Woe is me. Never been good at that. :wah: :p

Latest Discussions