Broken Gift, Gift of Destiny etc..

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that defenses against a 'crushing handshake' are a bit useless? I can't imagine a situation where anyone would ever actually get attacked by a crushing handshake!

These are brown belt techniques on our syllabus, I can't help thinking my time would be better spent learning some of the techniques I see mentioned frequently but aren't on our syallabus, such as Raining Lance or Back Breaker.

Interested to know people's thoughts...

Ian.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, they are very useful. I teach a few other techniques against crushing handshakes that are not on the syllabus also. The reason I spend so much time on them? My classes are in a college town. I also teach at the college. College=Fraternities. Fraternities have a tendency to have quite a few large innebriated men/boys at them. These neandrethals seem to have a need to prove how strong they are and if they are impaired not only loose their judgement but have hurt people. There is a time and a place for everything.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The techniques can also be used for a wrist grab. Yes it's for a handshake but would work well for grabs too.

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was at a seminar where Mr. Planas was going over 3 of the handshake techniques. When he taught these you knew why there were the different positions and why you would use 1 over the other. Each 1 has it's own useful information. I received a much better understanding on how they worked and how to apply them. On the 2 labeled above Mr. Planas changed a few angles on how our class were doing the techniques as well as each 1 had a better feel.
Jason Farnsworth

M

matthewgreenland

I used to not be a big fan of the ol' handshake techniques; however, over the years I've started to appreciate them.

If you look at it from another standpoint, you may see that sometimes after a heated argument with someone they may want your hand to shake and prove that they have no hard feelings. At this point, if they are a good con artist, they may convince you to shake with them, but they are really planning to set you up for a sucker punch.

One thing that I've been doing with shake techniques is having the attacker throw a punch from the opposite hand. During the first move of the technique you can see that you are able to cancel the other weapons of the attacker, or now victim, lol.

Adding the sucker punch element added a spark of realism for me.

Hope this helps.

B

brianhunter

Hey aggressive handshakes happen in Pro Wrestling all the time!! The Rock has used it to set them up for the Rock Bottom! Kinda a variation of gift of destruction instead of the knee and elbow!

Here goes this thread down the hatch sorry guys ;)
:flushed:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might end up in a handshake or near-handshake position as a result of intercepting an attempted grab (and being grabbed on the hand in response to your attempt to intercept) or working to wrestle a weapon out of an opponent's hands or him grasping your hand while trying to get one out of yours.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
Does anyone else think that defenses against a 'crushing handshake' are a bit useless?

No, it is not a useless defense, for various reasons... One, this is a possible attack that is hidden by a typically friendly action......... this merits thought....
next it is a specialized type of grab that has numerous options worth exploring both with harsh retaliation and/or just simple release tactics explored. It is a grab on the most flexible appendage of your body...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Used to hate them, now I love 'em.

Beat someone up for shaking your hand, I don't think so. How about:

1. Gift of Destruction - Someone forcing your hand down and toward you with the "crushing" handshake as they think about hitting you with a left punch.

2. Gift in Return - Opponent activly pulling you in for a left punch.

3. Gift of Destiny - The old "crushing" handshake, but this time they are bending their bicep to "crush" mo' betta'. This is as if they pulled you back as you tried to leave. If you work the wrist and check the forearm as they bend the bicep it does some fun things to the muscles and ligiments in the forearm and wrist.

4. Broken Gift - We work against a handshake and left kick, so we have to put their body between us and the kick (or left punch), checking their width and heigth, thereby controlling depth.

These are some of the "What If's" I came up with to justify beating up someone shaking my hand. Lo and behold, they are also found in the "Notes" I have regarding the techniques. It sure gives my students a reason to learn something that the 1st impulse is to "not like" or not make sense.

Have fun - bowing seems safer!
-Michael B.
UKS-Texas

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are in sudden death overtime.......
the judge says... salute... you do..... then...

you stand up extend your hand and when your opponent does the same.......

You quickly "Back Fist" your opponent and win the match!!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

You are in sudden death overtime.......
the judge says... salute... you do..... then...

you stand up extend your hand and when your opponent does the same.......

You quickly "Back Fist" your opponent and win the match!!

...Immediately get disqualified, have your instructor drag you out by the scruff of the neck because he 'never taught you that', get ganged up on inthe parking lot by a mob of angry parents......

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a pretty crummy way to win a trophy. It wasn't at the Internationals was it? When ever something like that happened at a tournament I was at, they did the point over. They should have done that for you too.

C

C.E.Jackson

Most of the handshake techniques teach principles of motion you will use in more advanced techniques such as knife attacks. They may seem usless to you now but learn them well. The motions you learn now will become perfected by the time you need to use them in a more serious attack requiring more skill later.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always thought, and I believe was taught. That these were "threatening" situations. Along the lines of the the attempted quick sucker punch, etc.. Is this incorrect?

Salute in Christ,

C

C.E.Jackson

Any attack whether it's a handshake or a knife attack has the potental of doing you harm, so yes a handshake is a serious attack... however there ARE levels of seriousness - a grab has a lower potental for serious injury than a knife attack and requires a lower skill level to defend against - in most cases.

That is why Ed Parker placed the handshakes lower in the requirements that knife attacks. The principles taught in the lower levels - when practiced over time - lead to the skill level required to defend against an attack of greater potental for serious injury or death.
:idea:

C

clvlkenpo

As with all techniques, look for the principle being taught, not the sequence of moves taught in the ideal form of the technique. gift in return works really well for example against a right punch, simply left inward/right outward parry from the outside and you have the same reference point to force the opponent's arm down into his groin with your right hand. this is a practical application in motion that works very well from experience besides the actual "handshake" version.

Rob

Latest Discussions