Broadsword

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just doing a little bit of research here.

What, to you, is a "Broadsword?"

In your experience, what is a "Broadsword" John Q. Public.

I've got my own answers but I want to know if it's changed since last I gave serious thought or if I'm off base about what others think the term means.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the average person -- I think "broadsword" conjures images of a European knight's sword or a Conan the Barbarian sort of sword.

Personally, I tend to think of the European swords featuring straight blades, usually double edged, relatively broad compared to sabers. Heavy, but not so heavy as to require two hands.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, a "broadsword" is a basket-hilted sword used in and around the 1700's.

To John Q. Public, a "broadsword' is an arming sword. I think this is due to the misuse of the term in Sword & Sorcery fiction, and later rpgs influenced by the genre. They of course, also assume that such is a sword is much heavier than they actually were... arming swords tend to weigh in around 2.5 lbs.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. That's what I've concluded, roughly.

Historically, a European "Broadsword" is any of the 17th-19th C. single-handed, basket-hilted swords, both curved and straight. Military Sabers, Backswords, etc.

And, yeah, my experience is that John Q. thinks of what WMA folks call a "Longsword" when he hears the term "Broadsword." I blame D&D and Conan fantasy. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions