Archery, Fencing, and Broadsword by "Stonehenge" and Wood

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have republished "Archery, Fencing, and Broadsword" by "Stonehenge" and Wood

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/archery-fencing-and-broadsword/7757776

The ebook download is, as always, free.

Blurb:
Writing in 1863 John Henry "Stonehenge" Walsh and Rev. J. G. Wood, the "authors" of this book, published their manual apparently intended for the "historic combat sports" market, in vogue with the middle class of the time.

Despite the fact that the authors engaged in whole-cloth plagiarism, most notably, plagiarizing significant amounts from John Gaspard le Marchant who wrote his popular military and Broadsword manual 67 years prior, they compiled a fairly comprehensive yet concise little manual covering Archer, Fencing with the Foil, and Broadsword.

The Archery section contains basics of equipment, usage, and uniform as well as itemizing several type of competition, and even detailing the basics of an Archery Club.

The Fencing section includes the basics of the use of the Foil, positions, terminology, engagements, and general advice.

The Broadsword section incorporates details on the training and usage of the Broadsword, in a Military Saber configuration, training, set drills, and suggestions for "loose play."
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad you like.

I really do like le Marchant's Broadsword system. It's very well documented and I like the additional drills that Walsh and Wood have added. I may decide to make it my primary source in Military Saber study.

Chris Thompson has told me he thinks there may be some link to Highland Broadsword as well.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bought this book on Lulu. It's quite cool. I recommend it.

Thanks for republishing it.

fyn

Latest Discussions