Brining Methods?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not sure how I misunderstand. A salt block is a very solid member that would have much more resistance than a bean bag. They weigh between 33 and 63 pounds depending on which size you use. Think more along the line of a wooden board attached to a Solid wall in hardness.
I simply used the salt reference because that is what the OP's original question pertained to.
Referring specifically to your apparent misunderstanding that, in fact, punching stuff to promote bone density actually was part of the process.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the OP is referring to brining his whole body, not just his knuckles. From what I understand, brining is meant to be done specifically on your knuckles as part of the conditioning.
The texts usually talked about the knuckles and fists, but also sometimes included other parts of the body, in specific, the face.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The texts usually talked about the knuckles and fists, but also sometimes included other parts of the body, in specific, the face.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
your clearly very well research in this topic, whats less clear is if you think its a good idea in general and specifically for an impressionable 18 yo ?

one would hope those with slightly more maturity would reject the idea out of hand

i could actually see the sense, if you were earning your living in bare knuckle fights of leather your face to stop eye cuts, however the consequence are such that you would need to earn a good amount of money to come close to off setting the downside

i cant for the life of me see any sense in doing this to your hands, how is that going to help you ?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your clearly very well research in this topic, whats less clear is if you think its a good idea in general and specifically for an impressionable 18 yo ?
I've also avoided telling him if he should get tattoos or piercings.

What I know is that the techniques and regiment suggested do toughen the skin and the bones.

I also know that the the reference to brine is commonly misunderstood as being a super-saturated salt solution. Heck, that's what I thought it was too when I first read the text.

i could actually see the sense, if you were earning your living in bare knuckle fights of leather your face to stop eye cuts, however the consequence are such that you would need to earn a good amount of money to come close to off setting the downside
What downside? That your skin looks leathery? I suppose in our image-obsessed society that makes it a big deal, but one generation ago, a guy with leathery looking skin just meant that he worked hard outside.

My understanding is that the changes to the skin are not permanent, per se, and need to be maintained as the skin grows. And you already know that changes to bone density need to be maintained also.

i cant for the life of me see any sense in doing this to your hands, how is that going to help you ?
Having stronger bones, less likely to break, and having tough skin on the fists, less likely to scrape and abrade is difficult for you to understand how that would help in a fight? You wanna run that by me again?

Is it a requirement? No. Would it help? I could sure make a good case for it.

I think the question you're really wanting to ask is, "is it worth it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've also avoided telling him if he should get tattoos or piercings.

What I know is that the techniques and regiment suggested do toughen the skin and the bones.

I also know that the the reference to brine is commonly misunderstood as being a super-saturated salt solution. Heck, that's what I thought it was too when I first read the text.

What downside? That your skin looks leathery? I suppose in our image-obsessed society that makes it a big deal, but one generation ago, a guy with leathery looking skin just meant that he worked hard outside.

My understanding is that the changes to the skin are not permanent, per se, and need to be maintained as the skin grows. And you already know that changes to bone density need to be maintained also.

Having stronger bones, less likely to break, and having tough skin on the fists, less likely to scrape and abrade is difficult for you to understand how that would help in a fight? You wanna run that by me again?

Is it a requirement? No. Would it help? I could sure make a good case for it.

I think the question you're really wanting to ask is, "is it worth it?

ok make a good case for how, mich it stops abraision and then for how muchh the lack of abraision helps,

ive abraded my fist upteen tome over the years and never once has this bbeem a factor in if i won or lost, generally its a good sign as it means im hitting him, quite hard, if my hand skin is abrading sp is his face skin, generally more so
and over time the act of abraision will its srlf toughen the skin,

so if its a problem at all, which is far from certain, pending you makig a good case for it, its aself solving probl3m

nb, my exsperiance of occupation skin conditions shows that very few things are easily reversible , id doubt that treatibg your self with tanic acid is a rare exception

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok make a good case for how, mich it stops abraision and then for how muchh the lack of abraision helps,

ive abraded my fist upteen tome over the years and never once has this bbeem a factor in if i won or lost, generally its a good sign as it means im hitting him, quite hard, if my hand skin is abrading sp is his face skin, generally more so
Reduced abrasion on the fists and stronger hand/knuckle/fist bones helps in a fight because you're less likely to injure yourself.

How much? Too many variables. But it clearly can be beneficial. I see that you're not even trying to argue that it doesn't help. Good. You're smart enough to know that arguing that is silly.

The only question is "is it worth the trouble?" Apparently, it isn't to you. Though I don't think you've ever tried to to now.

For me? It's not worth the trouble. Though I might try it again with vinegar just for giggles. But I don't really want my hands smelling like vinegar.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reduced abrasion on the fists and stronger hand/knuckle/fist bones helps in a fight because you're less likely to injure yourself.

How much? Too many variables. But it clearly can be beneficial. I see that you're not even trying to argue that it doesn't help. Good. You're smart enough to know that arguing that is silly.

The only question is "is it worth the trouble?" Apparently, it isn't to you. Though I don't think you've ever tried to to now.

For me? It's not worth the trouble. Though I might try it again with vinegar just for giggles. But I don't really want my hands smelling like vinegar.
im not agueing at all, im gently requesting you meet your promise to make a good case for treating yoyr hands with eithet acetic or tanic acide or both.

just making unsupored satatements that it helps is not coming close to you makibg a good case
.and your tryobg to fudge the discusion with bone hardening which is a seperate discusion if you want to make a good case for it

let me help,

how will not abraiding yoyr knuckles help you win a bare fisted fight ?

by how much will tanic acid effect that ?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im not agueing at all, im gently requesting you meet your promise to make a good case for treating yoyr hands with eithet acetic or tanic acide or both.
To help prevent or minimize injury.

Not sure what more anyone could want.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To help prevent or minimize injury.

Not sure what more anyone could want.
im stil waiting for how you believe it helps you win a fight, thats rather the cruz of the matter, if you dont know and it seems you dont, that ok, but you did say you could make a good case for it

at best, your current postion is you should cause your self injury to prevent injury, with seemingly no consideration of if it improves your fighting abilities or not.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im stil waiting for how you believe it helps you win a fight, thats rather the cruz of the matter, if you dont know and it seems you dont, that ok, but you did say you could make a good case for it
That's not the question you asked. You wrote, "i cant for the life of me see any sense in doing this to your hands, how is that going to help you ?" This is how it's going to help you. By reducing your injuries.

If you insist on linking it directly to fighting, the less you injure your hands, the more you can fight and fight again sooner with shorter recovery. But, again, that's not what you wrote.

at best, your current postion is you should cause your self injury to prevent injury, with seemingly no consideration of if it improves your fighting abilities or not.
Being able to punch without injuring your hands does contribute to being able to continue fighting. Nevertheless, that wasn't what you wrote.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not the question you asked. You wrote, "i cant for the life of me see any sense in doing this to your hands, how is that going to help you ?" This is how it's going to help you. By reducing your injuries.

If you insist on linking it directly to fighting, the less you injure your hands, the more you can fight and fight again sooner with shorter recovery. But, again, that's not what you wrote.

Being able to punch without injuring your hands does contribute to being able to continue fighting. Nevertheless, that wasn't what you wrote.
ok , just more claims with no facts

let examine this latest one

how does having abraided skin mean you cant fight again the next day ir the next hour if you wish,

hell ive ripped the skin of my knuckes fixibg cars, gone on to fix that car and then another the day after

abraided skin is the most inocuas of injuries, if that stops you fighting you shouldnt ve in the fight game, having a broken nose is of course a different matter, but tanic acid wont stop that

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok , just more claims with no facts

let examine this latest one

how does having abraided skin mean you cant fight again the next day ir the next hour if you wish,

hell ive ripped the skin of my knuckes fixibg cars, gone on to fix that car and then another the day after

abraided skin is the most inocuas of injuries, if that stops you fighting you shouldnt ve in the fight game, having a broken nose is of course a different matter, but tanic acid wont stop that
You're seriously going to argue that NOT BEING INJURED ISN'T BENEFICIAL?!?!? Really? And I'm the one who's just making stuff up? Really?

Dude, I'm done with that foolishness. When you're ready to admit that not being hurt is better than getting hurt, come back and talk.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're seriously going to argue that NOT BEING INJURED ISN'T BENEFICIAL?!?!? Really? And I'm the one who's just making stuff up? Really?

Dude, I'm done with that foolishness. When you're ready to admit that not being hurt is better than getting hurt, come back and talk.
no my point was that treatibg yourself with tanic acid was its self injurius, what you need to do is make a " good case" for doibg so, which is what you claimed you had

so far we have you may or may not get abraided knuckes, less than untreated hands, this may or may not, but probebly wont stop you fighting soon after.

this is not a good case, its wild supposition at best

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no my point was that treatibg yourself with tanic acid was its self injurius, what you need to do is make a " good case" for doibg so, which is what you claimed you had

so far we have you may or may not get abraided knuckes, less than untreated hands, this may or may not, but probebly wont stop you fighting soon after.

this is not a good case, its wild supposition at best
Is it injurious, though?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting tannic acid on you would cause injury?
go to a leatherworks and consider the ppe, i have,

getting oil on your hands doesnt cause injury keep getting oil on your hands and you get dermatitis , as the tanic acid " adversly effects the dermis, then its dermitisis, what else could it be?

if you didnt want hands the colour and consistancy of leather, it would most certainty be an injury, ,, if youve done it to yourself in the mistaken velif it will make you a better fighter, then its injury by reading nonsence on the internet

of course if you just thiink its a cool look, all is well

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to a leatherworks and consider the ppe, i have,

getting oil on your hands doesnt cause injury keep getting oil on your hands and you get dermatitis , as the tanic acid " adversly effects the dermis, then its dermitisis, what else could it be?

if you didnt want hands the colour and consistancy of leather, it would most certainty be an injury, ,, if youve done it to yourself in the mistaken velif it will make you a better fighter, then its injury by reading nonsence on the internet

of course if you just thiink its a cool look, all is well
I wouldn't count discoloration as an injury. Dermititis would be. I wonder what level of exposure that would take. At a tannery, they'd be in contact with it all day if they didn't use PPE.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't count discoloration as an injury. Dermititis would be. I wonder what level of exposure that would take. At a tannery, they'd be in contact with it all day if they didn't use PPE.
if you didnt want tan coloured hands and lets face it not many peole do, its an injury, a self inflicted injury perhaps, but still an injury

at tanneries they dont want tan coliyred hands so they wear ppe

urs a self answering question, if your doesing your self sufficiently to turn your skin to leather, which is the reason for doibg it, then your dosing it sufficiently to make it look like leather

Last edited:

Latest Discussions