Brining Methods?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been mulling over the idea of brining my body for a long while ago. For about a 3 months minimum. Aside from the fact that my mother was in absolute shock when she found out, and that women don't like it very much, I feel as if it's necessary for me to do so to get an edge over my past self, and my future opponents. I have bought some coarse salt and I wanted to know what would be the best way to brine my hands and knuckles to make them less prone to cutting, and possibly my body too.

I have also read that rubbing alcohol works too. Could I simply rub a mixture of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt on my hands and body twice daily? If you've done this before, or have an idea of how I should do it, what would you recommend?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recommend you don’t do this. Salt dries the skin and makes it prone to cracking and bleeding.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
What you're talking about doing is idiotic.
I asked for help on methods, not demeaning opinions. I have considered the consequences, those are for me to worry about.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been mulling over the idea of brining my body for a long while ago. For about a 3 months minimum. Aside from the fact that my mother was in absolute shock when she found out, and that women don't like it very much, I feel as if it's necessary for me to do so to get an edge over my past self, and my future opponents. I have bought some coarse salt and I wanted to know what would be the best way to brine my hands and knuckles to make them less prone to cutting, and possibly my body too.

I have also read that rubbing alcohol works too. Could I simply rub a mixture of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt on my hands and body twice daily? If you've done this before, or have an idea of how I should do it, what would you recommend?
this makes the tatoo soind like a good idea, i take it back, just run with that for now

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am aware of the consequences
So then why would you think this is a good idea to do? To your entire body? The consequences will be miserable and will not make you better able to train martial arts. Quite the contrary: and physical contact you make will result in painful cuts and bleeding.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for help on methods, not demeaning opinions. I have considered the consequences, those are for me to worry about.

Asked for or not, you're going to get them. It's a stupid thing to do. But if you're going to do it, you should probably use urine to dissolve the salt. And don't do just your hands. Full body immersion is the way to go.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bro...

Are you serious?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I honestly have never heard of anyone doing this. What benefits are expected from it?

I saw it in the anime Baki in Netflix. One of the characters claimed to make his skin tougher by rubbing salt on it. The end result, when he fought one of the villains, the villain wasn't able to cut him with his blade-like knuckles.

I think the OP might just be trolling.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw it in the anime Baki in Netflix. One of the characters claimed to make his skin tougher by rubbing salt on it. The end result, when he fought one of the villains, the villain wasn't able to cut him with his blade-like knuckles.

I think the OP might just be trolling.
no unfortunelty he is serious

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that my mother was in absolute shock when she found out, and that women don't like it very much, I feel as if it's necessary for me to do so to get an edge over my past self, and my future opponents.

What in blazes are you even talking about?

Which women?

Of course your mom is gonna be shocked. It's a combination of being worried for your well-being and the possibility of her kid being a complete moron.

Bro, if you want an edge against future opponents, build your physical fitness and combat skills.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly have never heard of anyone doing this. What benefits are expected from it?
There is a book written by a very old bare knuckle boxer who used rubbing alcohol and some other solutions. I think I can link, should I be able to find it.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recommend you don’t do this. Salt dries the skin and makes it prone to cracking and bleeding.
Here:
"If at first they should get a little raw or rubbed, a few
applications of weak tannic acid solution, or rosin, or good
strong pickle out of the salt-pork barrel, will soon make the
hands and knuckles tough."
- Billy Edwards' "Art of Boxing and Manual of Training" from 1888

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a book written by a very old bare knuckle boxer who used rubbing alcohol and some other solutions. I think I can link, should I be able to find it.
is this about the same time they were usibg leaches, drilling holes in peopjes heads for migrain and doesing people on arsenic ?

if you want to toughen the skin on your hands do hard manual work, hell they even pay you for it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here:
"If at first they should get a little raw or rubbed, a few
applications of weak tannic acid solution, or rosin, or good
strong pickle out of the salt-pork barrel, will soon make the
hands and knuckles tough."
- Billy Edwards' "Art of Boxing and Manual of Training" from 1888
that would be tanning like they use on leather? and the strong pickle would be vinegar or acetic acid possibly with salt in it, yea sounds like a great idea

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't help it......
upload_2020-10-1_16-3-19.png

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes and they also used to fight bare knuckle in limitless rounds until someone got knocked out people have gotten Smarter since then (some at least) and realized most of the stuff they did back then was stupid as hell

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Future opponents so for competition? Come on man wake up...in competition you wear hand wraps and gloves so basically even IF you got any benefits it wouldn’t make any difference because your not actually hitting with your actual knuckles....you want strong knuckles then punch a bag without gloves on not this nonsense

Latest Discussions