Brining Methods?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a textbook that was widely used in medical schools around the time of WWI. It recommends treating heart attacks by immersion in ice water.
Some of us have learned a thing or two since the 19th Century. I highly recommend it.
Sorry, but you just don't have the context for this.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is brining? i dont fully understand what this is?
It's part of an old European regiment for body and skin toughening. It includes punching bags and then rubbing one of many various lineaments, often analogous to Dit Da Jow, onto the tender skin.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I read that what I see is, "I don't know much about how the old boxing matches actually worked or what the rules really were but I've got an opinion anyway."

Yes, there were unlimited rounds. Strangely enough they didn't break their hands as often as people think and "punch drunk" wasn't really a thing like it is now. There's a reason for this.
my undrsrand of boxing gloves is they were originally designed to protect the hands, so yes sticking a pound weight on someones hands is likely to increase brain damage, but if the tanic acid worked they wouldnt have needed gloves in the first place, ??

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ivan in all seriousness, you cannot shortcut the process. It takes time on a makiwara board, bag or similar to toughen up the hands. I suspect the person you quoted from the book had already significantly toughened up hands and was looking for an edge. Toughened up from acclimation and use is very different from roughened up in appearance.
Salt could work if you took a block of salt (available at farm supply stores) and banged on it every day but there are better ways.
You misunderstand. The application of the a topical tonic or "brine" is only part of the regiment. The other part is punching stuff such as punching bags and the European boxing version of a makiwara, called a "wall pad," which was basically a bean-bag in canvas or leather mounted to a board on the wall.

by lklawson

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my undrsrand of boxing gloves is they were originally designed to protect the hands, so yes sticking a pound weight on someones hands is likely to increase brain damage, but if the tanic acid worked they wouldnt have needed gloves in the first place, ??
People still wanted shortcuts even back then.

And there was a social context to it too. For a long time, there was a belief that boxing was a brutal and barbaric sport. There was a social push to "civilize" it and part of that was adding more rules, more restrictive rules, and gloves under the general (and generally uninformed) belief that it made the sport safer for all participants.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
salt water, sea water is reputed to have posertive health effects , i suspect the concentration is an issue,

that aside the book he is quotibg is talking about pickling your hands in extremly concentrated acetic acid (vinegar, ) i think that may indeed toughen the skin, but at the exspence of having hands that look like they have been pickled, not a good look to be honest
Agreed. You look like you've got leather for skin because, well, you kinda do.

And the tanic acid version was even worse because it's usually a dark brown and would color the hands and the face. It was said you could tell what boxers were using tanic acid just by looking at the stains on their face.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been mulling over the idea of brining my body for a long while ago. For about a 3 months minimum. Aside from the fact that my mother was in absolute shock when she found out, and that women don't like it very much, I feel as if it's necessary for me to do so to get an edge over my past self, and my future opponents. I have bought some coarse salt and I wanted to know what would be the best way to brine my hands and knuckles to make them less prone to cutting, and possibly my body too.

I have also read that rubbing alcohol works too. Could I simply rub a mixture of rubbing alcohol and coarse salt on my hands and body twice daily? If you've done this before, or have an idea of how I should do it, what would you recommend?
I have tried super-saturated salt brine as a skin toughening treatment on my knuckles. I didn't like the results and I don't believe it worked as well. Actual pickling brine works better than super-saturated salt solution because the pickling brine contains a mild acid. As @jobo correctly points out real pickling brine, even salt pickling brine, contains mild acid. Vinegar pickling brine starts with vinegar solution and contains 5%-10% vinegar acid. The other pickling brine, through a process of fermentation, produced a mild lactic acid solution. In both cases it is the mild acid which inhibits the spoilage of whatever is being pickled. It is the mild acid that you want for your skin toughening element. Straight up super-saturated salt solution just won't work as well. It doesn't have "the right stuff."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why? She doesn't know the context or history any more than most of the rest of posters in this thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Seriously?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. Most of the posters in this thread apparently had no idea of where the idea came from, that it was historically accurate, or how to implement the regiment.

Most of the posters immediately offered criticisms on something they clearly were ignorant about. There is one poster who was not only ignorantly critical but downright insulting and arrogant in his own ignorance, suggesting that the OP got the idea from pure fantasy.

To illustrate, if someone were to post asking a question about Iron Body body hardening and a bunch of people jumped out telling him that punching bricks full force is stupid, might you not be inclined to believe that they were ignorant about the method? That's what I saw here in this thread.

While I'm not surprised, I am a little disappointed.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, seriously.
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I think an obviously passionate, but somewhat impressionable young man, while living under the roof of those who raised him, should honor the wishes and worries of parents, whether he thinks their opinion is correct or not.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think an obviously passionate, but somewhat impressionable young man, while living under the roof of those who raised him, should honor the wishes and worries of parents, whether he thinks their opinion is correct or not.
I think that's a fair point. The statement about his mom is without much context. I didn't see where she forbade it, just that she was "in absolute shock."

If I didn't know where this was coming from, and I were his parent, the thought of my kid rubbing salt all over his body would sound pretty shocking to me too.

That said, rubbing salt on the skin is an understandable misunderstanding of of the text.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You misunderstand. The application of the a topical tonic or "brine" is only part of the regiment. The other part is punching stuff such as punching bags and the European boxing version of a makiwara, called a "wall pad," which was basically a bean-bag in canvas or leather mounted to a board on the wall.

by lklawson

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I am not sure how I misunderstand. A salt block is a very solid member that would have much more resistance than a bean bag. They weigh between 33 and 63 pounds depending on which size you use. Think more along the line of a wooden board attached to a Solid wall in hardness.
I simply used the salt reference because that is what the OP's original question pertained to.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, seriously. Most of the posters in this thread apparently had no idea of where the idea came from, that it was historically accurate, or how to implement the regiment.

Most of the posters immediately offered criticisms on something they clearly were ignorant about. There is one poster who was not only ignorantly critical but downright insulting and arrogant in his own ignorance, suggesting that the OP got the idea from pure fantasy.

To illustrate, if someone were to post asking a question about Iron Body body hardening and a bunch of people jumped out telling him that punching bricks full force is stupid, might you not be inclined to believe that they were ignorant about the method? That's what I saw here in this thread.

While I'm not surprised, I am a little disappointed.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Keep in mind, the OP is referring to brining his whole body, not just his knuckles. From what I understand, brining is meant to be done specifically on your knuckles as part of the conditioning.

Admittedly I know very little about it which is why I was staying quiet until now.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the OP is referring to brining his whole body, not just his knuckles. From what I understand, brining is meant to be done specifically on your knuckles as part of the conditioning.

Admittedly I know very little about it which is why I was staying quiet until now.
No worries; I know next to nothing about brining outside of curing and smoking ham.:)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, only crazy people and old fools use potions on their hands. Sometimes that's a redundancy.

Brine.jpg

Latest Discussions