Bringing back old school karate

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the very thing I have been pondering for many years and I have yet to figure it out. I have so wanted to bring back the ways of studying with several masters on a single aspect that they have become "superior" at. The major problem is that there is no way to start the process of digressing to that state. If it starts heading that way the masses will not accept it and will go elsewhere. It is all a part of the soccer mom mentality. Lets have little bobby or sue go do the karate thing for a while and then go to something else. This leads to no dedicated students. Or maybe having children in the classes is the problem. We have to tone down the subject matter to fit in with today's society. If this is going to work all karateka must go the route of the Dog Brothers and cut out what is not working ie the flash. Just my $0.02 worth.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
Yeah, that's why you get to sign a disclaimer that is written in plain speak. I had this discussion with Marc Denny of the Dog Brothers fame, and asked him how they didn't get sued.

I can't find the email he sent me but the disclaimer was somewhere along the lines of Martial arts traing involves contact at high levels. By signing this you will acknowledge that what you are about to undrtake is dangerous and the risk of injury is extremely high. And then something about not suing noone no how for nothing.

One of the Denny bros. is a lawyer I believe, so he knew what to write and how to word it. Apparently it stands up to the scrutiny of the California legal system.

--Dave

Eventually someone will find a way around it. You could still be successfully sued if it was proven that the injury was administered maliciously or negligently, and was beyond what could "reasonably" be expected in the normal course of the class and training.

At the very least, it can be tremendously expensive to defend against, even if you win.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
One of the Denny bros. is a lawyer I believe, so he knew what to write and how to word it. Apparently it stands up to the scrutiny of the California legal system.

--Dave

It is Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny that is the lawyer. He is one sharp cookie.

jisshukan

White Belt
Reaction score
GREETINGS TO EVERYONE. I JUST BECOME A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM OF MARTIAL ARTS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN ORTHODOX OKINAWAN KARATE AND KOBUDO, SO FOR ME WHAT YOU CALL "OLD SCHOOL KARATE" IS MY WAY OF LIFE. TODE, UCHINADI, KARATE ETC. WAS MADE FOR OURSELVES TO LEARN, FOLLOW, PRACTICE, TEACH, DEVELOPED AND MORE LEARNING. TRADITIONAL WAYS ARE THE ROOTS, MODERN KARATE WAS MADE FOR ANOTHER PURPOSES AND NEEDS, FREE STYLE KARATE IS AN EXPRETION OF WHAT THE BODY CAN DO IF YOU MIX MARTIAL ARTS WITH GYMNASTICS. WITHOUT DISRISPECT ANYONE IN THIS FORUM, MY PERSONAL WISHES ARE THAT ALL ORTHODOX KARATE TEACHERS AND PRACTICIONERS PRESERVED THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND PASS DOWN THEM THE SAME WAY THEY LEARN IT.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you train for the art And not so much for the money. You can find the small amount of students that want the real deal. Now when you take every person who walks into your school well thats different. remember in the old school . You had to be excepted only after the instructor decided he would teach you. Not when you chose that he would be your instructor. Select classes less problems.

icp1775

White Belt
Reaction score
everyone does need to go back to the old school style. the bad thing is it is a good chance it will not happen.

Latest Discussions