Breaking For testing

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello I have notice some schools have people break boards for testing. I was wondering what you think about it? Does your school make people break boards at testing? Do you think they should or should not and why.

Also does Kung Fu ever brake boards I am just wondering

:asian:

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well brakeing has good and bad points to it I feel. I think it is good to do some brakes once and a while. But not to often cause it may hurt someones hand. Yes it shows power but people always use the same boring moves and never do flashy moves to brake boards just mostly palm side-or front kick hammer fist mostly why they use why not a cresent kick or jump kicks?

any way just me feelings :asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor requires people to break boards on their first test.

A) it helps them understand proper focus of energy in strikes (i.e.: strike through, not at)

B) it gets it out of their system so that when they see other people breaking boards (on TV or if they go to a tournament), they won't wonder, "Hey, why haven't I ever broken a board?"

C) and they won't think, "Wow! That's awesome! Could I do that?"

D) and they'll realize that there's really nothing all that special about standard board breaking (obviously, there are some breaking feats that demand much more rigorous focus and conditioning)

But, mostly, we look at board breaking as a fun party trick :)

Mike

D

Disco

For the reasons Pesilant pointed out and a few more.
We break all through the ranks.

It refines the proper technique. We have had big people (250lbs +) attempt to do a front snap kick (for example). They have more than enough power. They knock the guys holding the boards backwards, but don't break the boards. Then we get a 120lb person with correct technique and they blast the boards like a hot knife thru butter.

Since the old training ways are not in vogue anymore, this is the closest way for us to instill proper discipline and dedication.

It allows the breaker to overcome fear. Yes you can / will possibly get hurt if you do it wrong. In a confrontation you face the same fears. Will I get hurt and can I do this. Sparring alone, we feel is not enough to supplement training.

The higher you go the harder they get. Like #2, it acts as a catalyst to induce the attitude to train to accomplish whats anticipated from you.

It should give a good indication of the persons power base and what the technique is capable of. Hitting certain parts of the human body is a lot more forgiving than hitting 2" of wood.

Probably the biggest attribute is that it gives the person is the feeling of self empowerment.

Different Instructors and styles have their own viewpoints on training, this is just ours.

:asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Ditto to what pesilat and Disco said.

The style I train in also likes to do board breaks, but we don't require them for testing until the dan ranks. For my 1st dan test, I was required to break three 1-inch boards with a technique of my choice (piece of cake). For 2nd dan, you need to do two 4-board breaks, one with a hand technique, and one with your feet. The 3rd dan test requires three 5-board breaks. I'm not sure exactly what they require for 4th dan, but after that, promotions are given more for teaching ability anyways, so I don't think they usually bother with testing breaks beyond 4th dan.

My instructor encourages everyone to break something when he brings wood in. One and two-board breaks are really simple enough even for white belts.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't personally do breaking anymore. Although I do believe it gives good feedback plus it gives respect towards your strikes.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At my dojang, board breaking is part of each belt promotion test. From white belt all the way to the dan ranks breaking is included. The initial breaks for the lower ranking students are pretty basic, but as a student advances up the MA ladder the breaking techniques become much more complex and difficult. When one reaches the dan ranks, multiple board breaks, such as at 2, 3 and 4 stations are required.

It seems the higher you advance the more trees that need to be felled in order to make the boards for the tests. That's a lot of lumber... :rolleyes:

T

TLH3rdDan

we do board breaking and brick breaking but its not required for testing. as for flashy breaks other than the boring palm strike or front or side kick. i personally use ridge hands, elbow, knee, single knuckle strikes( boards only lol), head butt, hook kick round house, and of course the wonderful flying sidekick, we also do multiple angle breaks like one person standing holding a board face level in front another person holding a board sideways at knee level to your right and so on then you simply break the boards using random techniques like say a straight punch on the first to the face and low round house to the second. personally i think boardbreaking helps with focus as the others have posted above along with building confidence in the student.

M

MartialArtist

No, boards don't hit back.

But there's a reason you do use them. Bruce Lee also did a lot of practicing with boards.

Breaking a lot of the time shows you what's wrong with your technique. The mechanics required for speed, precision, and power. For instance, a side kick is not the fastest kick around, but one of the most powerful (to me, it's my most powerful kick). Power breaking does show a great deal of things. Special breaks that require a special method of holding are required for things such as speed breaking. One of the hardest methods is having someone drop a board and you having to break it in midair. Now that's a combination of speed, power, and precision right there.

But breaking is never the fundamental goal in any combat or sport art.

It can relate to weapons. You can spar with a bokken or a shinai all you want, but you're going to have to cut sooner or later. If you don't, and you're blade alignment is a bit off among other things... Or with firearms. You have to go to the range and hit some paper targets. Yeah, they don't move, nor do they shoot back, and you aren't moving either, but one obviously understands the benefits.

Is breaking required? No. Are they helpful? IMO, extremely.

S

Shinzu

yes we break...for testing also. i think it is nice to see how a proper technique can damage your opponent.

plus by the time you get to 75th dan you can build your own house...LOL

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Shinzu
yes we break...for testing also. i think it is nice to see how a proper technique can damage your opponent.

plus by the time you get to 75th dan you can build your own house...LOL

LOL. Is 74th dan where you learn to hammer in nails with your bare hands?

A

andurilking2

i only have like 2 more dans to go before i can start on my dog house

S

Shinzu

Originally posted by Zepp
LOL. Is 74th dan where you learn to hammer in nails with your bare hands?

i think that is when you can think the nail into the wood :D

T

tonbo

Well, if you are building houses at 74th and 75th Dans, then I think I am just about ready to go get myself some popsicle sticks to practice on.....

.....they will help prop up my little paper tent....;)

Peace--

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I don't personally do breaking anymore. Although I do believe it gives good feedback plus it gives respect towards your strikes.

I hate to agree with Mr. Farnsworth(Man, I wanna kick myself for this) but what he says is true.:rolleyes:

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
I wish I were a 75th dan, or even a fifth dan... :D
Just quit and go to another dojang. I'm sure they'll accept you and from then on, the design and style of house is up to you. The pine boards make very good decks, while the balsa wood is just trash.

Latest Discussions