Breaking For testing

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And speaking about breaking, anybody here ever cut, rip skin or break any bones when doing board breaking techniques?

At the last Black Belt test I assisted in, one kid broke his hand pretty well when he didn't keep a tight knife hand while going through a board. His knuckle looked like 5 times too big. :eek:

I always tell everybody "keep your fingers straight, hard, and together as you attack the board as fast you can with knife hands!"

Anyway, the worst I've ever suffered in board breaking was some ugly looking bruises on my hands and feet, and just a torn off toe nail. No biggie... :p

E

Elfan

I belive Mr. Parker said something along the lines of "If something can help your art at least 2% than its worth spending some time on." I think board breaking qualifies for that, it can he helpful, but its not something to focus your time on. As for testing, I can see good reasons for having board breaking and good reaons why not, but again as long as its not the focus it could be a benificial addition.

P

progressivetactics

we do board/break on some tests, not all. It is only a fraction of the grade for some ranks, and not necessarily at a certain gup/kyu.
I feel it is important, but not strict about every test.

Latest Discussions