Brass Knuckles, steel toe shoes

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We should also include sap gloves. I never owned any but I had a few friends back in the day that did. Nasty things to get hit with

And, they're legal in most areas. These would certainly be a more practical choice than using something that is illegal in most areas (brass knuckles), and they do work as advertised.

As someone living in the USA, I can understand someone wanting to get the best advantage possible when being put in combat, but to use something that will land you in a lot of hot water (brass knuckles) isn't the most practical solution, especially when there are plenty of other defensive aids you can lawfully use (and this does include guns, knives, etc).

It's basically the same thing as someone who wants to use a sawed-off shotgun as a home defense tool. If he doesn't have the proper permits for a short barrel shotgun, then the use of such a weapon, even for legitimate self-defense, isn't a good idea at all, especially when there are plenty of legal alternatives (handguns, 18" barrel shotguns, etc).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We should also include sap gloves. I never owned any but I had a few friends back in the day that did. Nasty things to get hit with
I though you are talking about this. :)

spikes_gloves.jpg

spikes_gloves_1.jpg

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no they are gloves that have a weight sown into the palm or on the back of the hand. Highly illegal

those cloves above are nasty looking things I would not want to get hit with them

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I said their, anything deemed as a deadly weapon, outright use in any country will land you in jail.

You can make replacements though of other things for the purpose. You know that thing about making use of anything in your disposal?

So in real combat where in violence is lawful all bets are off.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my state (Michigan) if a person is prone or on a knee kicking them with a shoe or boot is considered assault and battery with great bodily harm with the intent to commit murder.

While I understand force multiplier and teach them and also train with them, I agree with others here that knowing legal conditions is also required for ones self defense. I also think that carrying a tool that can only be used for assault or force multiple in an assault is a bad idea. Carrying a tool that is used as the tool is defined such as a pocket knife that can also be used for self defense still causes lots of legal issues.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The post about brass knuckles is reminiscent of the "better tried by twelve than carried by six" saying. It's a terrible cliche that will get you thrown in prison. It's better not to be tried or killed. Prison can be a fate worth than death for some people. Yes you want to survive a violent encounter but "at all costs" is a saying worth considering. I hear martial artists repeat these mantra all the time and they are nothing more than superficial martial arts popculture sayings. Just a pop culture in the regular world is often full of superficial and empty trends martial arts can be the same way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post about brass knuckles is reminiscent of the "better tried by twelve than carried by six" saying. It's a terrible cliche that will get you thrown in prison. It's better not to be tried or killed. Prison can be a fate worth than death for some people. Yes you want to survive a violent encounter but "at all costs" is a saying worth considering. I hear martial artists repeat these mantra all the time and they are nothing more than superficial martial arts popculture sayings. Just a pop culture in the regular world is often full of superficial and empty trends martial arts can be the same way.

Yeah guess so. Quite frankly, they are carried by underworld figures with one intended purpose. That does not need articulating. Those images posted. The first one to me looks like bondage thing, but seen on someone, you are pretty much going to charge them. The second one must be owned by a "Pinhead" fan, horror movie, but can't remember. Seriously, other than "Torture" what application could gloved like those have. Mmm, some bad karma there, I don't think those images are appropriate really, but that is just my personal opinion having thought on it retrospectively :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Brass knuckles' are known as knuckledusters here in the UK, a very old weapon, favoured by those as Transk said by criminals. Also favoured by criminals are large gold rings, notably signet and others with a raised pattern on, equally good for hitting people with while impressing them with their wealth.....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Tez3, post: 1679538, member: ]equally good for hitting people with while impressing them with their wealth.....[/QUOTE]
Win win

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not to be killed should be the highest priority. Everything else are not that important compare to your own death.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Brass knuckles' are known as knuckledusters here in the UK, a very old weapon, favoured by those as Transk said by criminals. Also favoured by criminals are large gold rings, notably signet and others with a raised pattern on, equally good for hitting people with while impressing them with their wealth.....

Huh, I would call it that Tez! More like ..... Yes I think the language I would use, would have my Grandad wincing!

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be killed should be the highest priority. Everything else are not that important compare to your own death.
Well I guess that depends on the person. id say not being killed and avoiding prison time are equally high priorities. I could carry around a hand grenade to be sure I'm not killed or I could legally carry a gun. One will get you thrown in prison the other still might get you thrown in prison should you use it wrong. Going home alive is improtant but I've heard people try to justify some ridiculous and criminal techniques saying survival at all costs it most important. You won't be much good to your family in prison, but perhaps slightly better off than if you were dead, but maybe not.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that depends on the person. id say not being killed and avoiding prison time are equally high priorities. I could carry around a hand grenade to be sure I'm not killed or I could legally carry a gun. One will get you thrown in prison the other still might get you thrown in prison should you use it wrong. Going home alive is improtant but I've heard people try to justify some ridiculous and criminal techniques saying survival at all costs it most important. You won't be much good to your family in prison, but perhaps slightly better off than if you were dead, but maybe not.

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly, but I think as Kung Fu Wang meant that metaphorically :)

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Yep I have a pair of SAP gloves in my bug out kit LOL.

They work well on multiplying force and protecting the hands. The first time i ever saw them in use was when I was watching a high speed pursuit and the guy crashed his car and then a motorcycle officer did the dukes of hazard slide over the hood of the car and delivered a love tap on the person fleeing which dropped him. I was like what the hell he didn't even have his feet on the ground and thats when I saw he had some funky gloves on and then researched Hatch gloves and saw the SAP gloves.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I have a pair of SAP gloves in my bug out kit LOL.

They work well on multiplying force and protecting the hands. The first time i ever saw them in use was when I was watching a high speed pursuit and the guy crashed his car and then a motorcycle officer did the dukes of hazard slide over the hood of the car and delivered a love tap on the person fleeing which dropped him. I was like what the hell he didn't even have his feet on the ground and thats when I saw he had some funky gloves on and then researched Hatch gloves and saw the SAP gloves.

Multiplying force, that done in real time?

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
b75443ed13c6b627e8aab819a73bca25.jpg

Probably first generation Hatch SAP gloves that I purchased in 1998 they have much better designs now that would allow for more digit mobility (probably for use of hand guns) kind of like a MMA glove.

These have 8 ounces of steel shot in the knuckle so a weight increase if a half pound in each fist while still being able to throw loose hand strikes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Northern Ireland gloves issued to British Forces from the late 1960's, they had added 'protection' across the knuckles.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
b75443ed13c6b627e8aab819a73bca25.jpg

Probably first generation Hatch SAP gloves that I purchased in 1998 they have much better designs now that would allow for more digit mobility (probably for use of hand guns) kind of like a MMA glove.

These have 8 ounces of steel shot in the knuckle so a weight increase if a half pound in each fist while still being able to throw loose hand strikes.

Oh right now I get it. Thanks :) Never really needed that. Each to their own I guess :D

Latest Discussions