Boxing and kenpo

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In our school, my Sifu likes to incorporate boxing into the kenpo techniques . Five swords is an excellent example. Knowing and practicing boxing CANNOT hurt. Hee Il Cho requires his TKD students to box. Throwing punches as well as getting HIT is great training. Knowledge is power.

BTW: anyone see the video clip of the guy get beat up in the pizza joint?
icon8.gif

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Seabrook said:
In addition to my 6th degree in EPAK, I also hold black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate. So I have definitely done a lot of "cross-training".

But the more I think about it, and continue to dig deeper into my knowledge and understanding of EPAK, do you think it is better to "cross-train" or "cross-reference"? I think of the latter as learning PIECES from various styles to see how it relates or improves your Kenpo base. The former would be trying to learn an entire system to black belt in addition to your study of EPAK.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
Six in one, Half a dozen in the other. It's just semantics, however to stay with the wording preference, Don't you have to take your "reference material" and then put it into action or "Train yourself" to do it, mixed with your EPAK? No matter the wording your taking SOME stuff of other styles (as I did say in my post, not training to blackbelt level) and adding it to be better well rounded in self defense.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jamie Seabrook......In addition to my 6th degree in EPAK, I also hold black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate. So I have definitely done a lot of "cross-training".....
Yes I would say that that was a sort of cross training, impressive C.V. you have there Jamie.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
My question is in regard to "cross-referencing" in other arts for the benefit of improving one's kenpo base. The thought of looking at some boxing or grappling systems has been on my mind for some time. I do see the benefit of "cross-referencing" these styles (for me, anyway) as it applies to my own kenpo. To those of you already training in other arts - do you find when you walk in the door of another style's studio, that you are met with the attitude that their art is the best and there is none better and poo poo to your style.

How do you react to this? Do you even mention the fact that you train in another art, or do you take what you need and ignore the "commentary". I realize it also depends upon the studio and instructor, but being a woman in the arts - i find that there are a lot of guys that want to show me how to do "it" better. I am accepting and open to all fellow martial artists, but at times the information i receive is contradictory. Well not to get totally off topic, just thought i'd ask how others felt about their "alternate" training - whether specific to boxing or not.

Salute,

Donna :asian:
Donna,

I take what I need and ignore the "commentary"....because you're right....instructors often feel their style is the BEST.

But we all know Kenpo is best right.....hee, hee!

Jamie Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Jamie Seabrook......In addition to my 6th degree in EPAK, I also hold black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate. So I have definitely done a lot of "cross-training".....
Yes I would say that that was a sort of cross training, impressive C.V. you have there Jamie.

Thanks "kenpoworks". I see that you are a 6th Degree as well...have we met each other? Do you have a website?

Cheers bro,

Jamie Seabrook

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We may have met, if you are one of Joe Fosters Canadian Team that attended the European Championships in Jersey in the early 90s.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Boxing is the most natural way to fist fight. If not boxers would have found a better way to hit and defend. ( standup fighting with using hands only)

If you are not learning about boxing you maybe missing an important part of fighting. I agree with all of you about learning to box. Yes there are rules in the ring. It is the basic stuffs about boxing we need to learn. Do you agree? Just my thoughts.....Aloha

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Boxing is the most natural way to fist fight. If not boxers would have found a better way to hit and defend. ( standup fighting with using hands only)

If you are not learning about boxing you maybe missing an important part of fighting. I agree with all of you about learning to box. Yes there are rules in the ring. It is the basic stuffs about boxing we need to learn. Do you agree? Just my thoughts.....Aloha

Of course all of you realize that Eastern Boxing came long before Western Boxing. Eastern Boxing was not a limited sport vehicle and had to withstand the test of real life or death confrontations. Funny thing about Western Boxers fighting on the street. They almost always break their hands. Don't get me wrong. These guys are tough, in shape, and can take punishment but what they do is very limited. I had a school across the street from a former welterweights gym. He was doing a serious business and came over to negoiate the use of some mat time for his overflow. He proposed he would swap me some boxing lessons for some mat time. He noted that "karate people" don't know how to "jab or punch." He asked if I could "hook off a jab." I said sure and proceed to demonstrate. He looked a bit surprized when I whipped the movement with power, and asked me if I had ever boxed. I said, "No." I than proposed he take some Kenpo lessons fro me. He replied that "boxing" is all he needed to defend himself. I said, Really?" ABout that time I looked over his shoulder as if I saw someone and asked him, "Is he with you?" When he turned around to see whom I was speaking of, I jumped on him and put him in a cervicle lock and took him to the floor. He weezed in a muffled voice, "What the hell are you doing?" "Making a point." I said. "Can you box your way out of this situation?" He stopped struggling, tapped me on my arm lightly, and I released him. He stood up smiling and said, "I get your point." He never came back, nor did we ever trade services, but he had a new found respect for what we do. Boxing is rough, tough, and manly as hell. But it is a sport, and if I want to learn to fight on the street, I don't train in football.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
I doubt it. Boxing is a western convention. Prior to the Queensbury rules western fighting was dramatically different. Even after the rules were started fighting styles have evolved because of gloves, etc. If you want to understand a style you need to look at the rules that have led to that style. If we went to the simple step of removing gloves from the fighters you would see Western boxing change dramatically as the fighters adjusted to the new conditions.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
We may have met, if you are one of Joe Fosters Canadian Team that attended the European Championships in Jersey in the early 90s.
I was on that team, 1991-1992, but left his school within 6 months because I didn't like his club. So, I never went to Europe on that trip.

Anyway, best in Kenpo!

Jamie Seabrook

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Per the different Kenpo organizations, it will seem strange that such patches/insigna are avaialble from public supply stores

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, 47MartialMan, I am a bit slow and missing your points, please elaborate on your responses!
With Respect
Rich

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Sorry, 47MartialMan, I am a bit slow and missing your points, please elaborate on your responses!
With Respect
Rich
That is understandable. My mind goes on a tangent or moves so fast that it is hard to convey it or my thoughts to words. I suffer from dsylexia and/or dysphasia. As I go back to re-read and correct my mistakes, I would cause some to surface anyway.

I had seen many suppliers sell the different Kenpo patches/insignia, per Kenpo organization, to which long ago, for me to get one, we had to earn it and not "buy it". They just weren't avialable for anyone to purchase so openly and readily.

I often try to clear up to people the diiferemces of the spelling of Kenpo and Kempo. Although I have some info on this subject as well, would you care to elaborate your view on this so that i may add to my knoweldge?

with sincerity

47MM/Rick

Latest Discussions