Boxing and kenpo

S

scorpio

My Kenpo instructor likes to incorporate basic boxing techniques in class. This mainly consists of throwing jabs, crosses, hooks etc. As well as learning to slip, bob and weave. we usually spend one class a week hitting the heavy bag while refining our punches and evasive maneuvers.
My punching has improved dramatically and the principles learned are easily applied to other strikes (hammerfists, back knuckles etc.).
I personally enjoy this aspect of training, and feel it has made me a better kenpoist as well as better preparing me for real physical confrontation.

Any thoughts or experiences?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, I see many advanced students throwing punches that would end up breaking their fingers or wrist because they don't have proper techniqe. This is not to say that Kenpo doesn't develope proper technique but boxing developes it much quicker, in my opinion.

Also if memory serves me correctly SGM Parker had a background in boxing. Mr. Trejo also had boxing experience before he started Kenpo.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Boxing training was part of my mid teens, (long ago and far away), but because of the nature of the training, the lessons I learned are ingrained.
Yes I do agree that Kenpoists should at some stage explore Boxing Training, even if its just at equipment level e.g. speed ball, jab & hook bag, heavy/medium bag and of course Pad work, Kenpoists could learn a thing or three about coordination,rythm and timing just from speed ball practice.
Rich.
ps I still skip as well as do bag and pad work on regular basis (at least once a week)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
scorpio said:
My Kenpo instructor likes to incorporate basic boxing techniques in class. This mainly consists of throwing jabs, crosses, hooks etc. As well as learning to slip, bob and weave. we usually spend one class a week hitting the heavy bag while refining our punches and evasive maneuvers.
My punching has improved dramatically and the principles learned are easily applied to other strikes (hammerfists, back knuckles etc.).
I personally enjoy this aspect of training, and feel it has made me a better kenpoist as well as better preparing me for real physical confrontation.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Welcome to the forum Scorpio! Enjoy your stay here.

As for your question...Yes, I think that its an excellent thing to do. Its one thing to do punches/kicks on a stationary target as it helps to build power and gives one the feeling of actually hitting something, but I feel that its also important to incorporate proper footwork, proper hand formation and hitting methods, as well as adding movement into the drills. My Modern Arnis instructor does this on a regular basis as well, in addition to our weapon training.

Keep up the good work! You'll notice that you'll just keep getting better and better!! :ultracool

Mike

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Additionally, working a Uppercutt bag is great for discovering the power of stances and transtions

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to have some of boxing incorporated into the MA's. Since most street fights are a "boxing" style fight, it would be good to know.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The KAI wrote..Additionally, working a Uppercutt bag is great for discovering the power of stances and transtions........dead right, its correct use of the transitions that give s the uppercut, hook and cross their devastaing power, the upper cut is one of the foundations of Kenpo and is probably (should be IMHO) the first punch taught to Kenpo students.
Rich
Ps I use the maize bag for jab, hook and UPPERCUT.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually watching most Martial artist attempt an uppercut is a somewhat humorous!

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Besides the uppercut, the hook is another very common punch that is thrown wrong. What most Martial artists call a hook, is in reality just a clumsy haymaker. Boxing is a great addition to any art. I think punches are not covered properly sometimes because most of the time, people all think they already know how to punch.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Self Defence Techniques such as Raining Claw and Shielding Hammer, can be improved if you build the technique "back" from realistic punching, in this case uppercut & left hook.
when attacked in this fashion if you do not immediately apply the equation formula, then you are going to have a rude awakening , as well as a sore face.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree with everyone, I also beleive that everyone should cross train, add some kickboxing and grappling to the boxing and kenpo, then practice flowing from one range to the other, just as real fights occur.

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Boxing training was part of my mid teens, (long ago and far away), but because of the nature of the training, the lessons I learned are ingrained.
Yes I do agree that Kenpoists should at some stage explore Boxing Training, even if its just at equipment level e.g. speed ball, jab & hook bag, heavy/medium bag and of course Pad work, Kenpoists could learn a thing or three about coordination,rythm and timing just from speed ball practice.
Rich.
ps I still skip as well as do bag and pad work on regular basis (at least once a week)
I could never get the hang of skipping properly. We do a lot of skipping without the rope for a warm up to get us used to staying light on our feet.

It would do well for people to learn how to throw proper punches to lower the level of wrist injuries that occur during sparring.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Asangria,RE:Skipping
skipping changes when you start to use a rope, it's more dificult but more beneficial.
A couple of pointers that might help
1) try slowy walking up and down the gym while swinging the rope and stepping through it.
2) with feet together and staying relaxed, come up on the balls of your feet bend your knees then bounce ( a bit like po-go-ing), now introduce the rope get the timing down by bouncing when you hear the rope slap the floor infront of you.
3)when you have got this down, try bouncing on one leg while jumping the rope for a 5/10 count then the other leg and finally alternate right then left.
It is best to skip on a sprung floor or wooden floor anything that gives and takes the impact away from the knees, things like concrete are a definate no! no!, if you do it on an unforgiving surface your knees will blow up after about 10/20 mins.
Start by wearing soft shoes sneekers or trainers this protects the toes, shin and instep from the lash of the rope when you get it wrong.
Skipping builds stamina, develops timing, co-ordination as well as rythm, it well worth putting a bit of time in to develop it.
Good luck
Rich

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I agree with everyone, I also beleive that everyone should cross train, add some kickboxing and grappling to the boxing and kenpo, then practice flowing from one range to the other, just as real fights occur.
In addition to my 6th degree in EPAK, I also hold black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate. So I have definitely done a lot of "cross-training".

But the more I think about it, and continue to dig deeper into my knowledge and understanding of EPAK, do you think it is better to "cross-train" or "cross-reference"? I think of the latter as learning PIECES from various styles to see how it relates or improves your Kenpo base. The former would be trying to learn an entire system to black belt in addition to your study of EPAK.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
But the more I think about it, and continue to dig deeper into my knowledge and understanding of EPAK, do you think it is better to "cross-train" or "cross-reference"? I think of the latter as learning PIECES from various styles to see how it relates or improves your Kenpo base. The former would be trying to learn an entire system to black belt in addition to your study of EPAK.

Excellent point Sir. I would have to say that it depends on the person. Me personally, I train in a few others, but again, its up to what the person doing it feels comfortable with. However, seeing that there is so much out there, I think its a good idea to at least cross reference, for the reasons that you mention in your post.

Mike

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My question is in regard to "cross-referencing" in other arts for the benefit of improving one's kenpo base. The thought of looking at some boxing or grappling systems has been on my mind for some time. I do see the benefit of "cross-referencing" these styles (for me, anyway) as it applies to my own kenpo. To those of you already training in other arts - do you find when you walk in the door of another style's studio, that you are met with the attitude that their art is the best and there is none better and poo poo to your style.

How do you react to this? Do you even mention the fact that you train in another art, or do you take what you need and ignore the "commentary". I realize it also depends upon the studio and instructor, but being a woman in the arts - i find that there are a lot of guys that want to show me how to do "it" better. I am accepting and open to all fellow martial artists, but at times the information i receive is contradictory. Well not to get totally off topic, just thought i'd ask how others felt about their "alternate" training - whether specific to boxing or not.

Salute,

Donna :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
My question is in regard to "cross-referencing" in other arts for the benefit of improving one's kenpo base. The thought of looking at some boxing or grappling systems has been on my mind for some time. I do see the benefit of "cross-referencing" these styles (for me, anyway) as it applies to my own kenpo. To those of you already training in other arts - do you find when you walk in the door of another style's studio, that you are met with the attitude that their art is the best and there is none better and poo poo to your style.

How do you react to this? Do you even mention the fact that you train in another art, or do you take what you need and ignore the "commentary". I realize it also depends upon the studio and instructor, but being a woman in the arts - i find that there are a lot of guys that want to show me how to do "it" better. I am accepting and open to all fellow martial artists, but at times the information i receive is contradictory. Well not to get totally off topic, just thought i'd ask how others felt about their "alternate" training - whether specific to boxing or not.

Salute,

Donna :asian:

My BJJ instructor is a Kenpo BB and runs his classes out of the Kenpo school. Have I had people have that attitude? Yes, but when I go somewhere to train, as hard as it may be, I try to refrain from getting into the style vs. style debates. I'm there to train, plain and simple, but when faced with those questions/attitudes, I try not to get into a long, drawn out debate.

Mike

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
My BJJ instructor is a Kenpo BB and runs his classes out of the Kenpo school. Have I had people have that attitude? Yes, but when I go somewhere to train, as hard as it may be, I try to refrain from getting into the style vs. style debates. I'm there to train, plain and simple, but when faced with those questions/attitudes, I try not to get into a long, drawn out debate.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your honest and straightforward reply. I think you have an excellent attitude toward training. Thanks for the input.

Donna :)

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do boxing drills with the students I teach. But that is only for a warm up, it will teach them quicker ways of hitting a person and timing. They all seem to like it.

Latest Discussions