Bowing out

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whatever you choose is a good decision, as long as you think it is. Have fun!

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

It's not boredom. I have tried for the past 6 months to stick it out, even finding a new school to try to get the passion back. It's just not there. It's gone. I feel like I am wasting what I busted my **** for (technique), but, it really doesn't bother me to quit.

Thanks all for your kind words. Don't worry, I'll still be on MT :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all.

It's not boredom. I have tried for the past 6 months to stick it out, even finding a new school to try to get the passion back. It's just not there. It's gone. I feel like I am wasting what I busted my **** for (technique), but, it really doesn't bother me to quit.

Thanks all for your kind words. Don't worry, I'll still be on MT :)

What about your Jiu Jistu? Are you still going to be doing that?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do..The best of luck in whatever you do..Me thinks you will return...

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, it's "official." I met with the manager of my old dojang. I bought out the contract, and had an "exit interview." The new dojang, I just told them that I will be out for a while.

It is kinda sad to leave "officially." But I may return to training one day. I may just break out the old tapes, pop them in the VCR, and train a bit here and there to see if my "itch" returns to go back to training. We'll see.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May the itch be with you ALWAYS...

stingg

White Belt
Reaction score
Good luck, I appreciate the help you've given me, and I hope the future holds only good things for you!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once it is in your blood always in the blood.
Terry
Best of luck.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Once it is in your blood always in the blood.
Terry
Best of luck.

Good point Terry. I don't think I'll totally leave MA. I mean, the stuff I learned that was drilled into my brain and reflexes will always be there. So will the disipline, confidence, and self esteem.

I still want to practice my forms. But as far as training at a dojang, I really don't know. I was turned off by politics, money, and BS. Unless I really find a dojang that hit me like my TSD dojang (in NJ), but here in NY. Not the style per-say (sp?), but the dojang itself. No BS, just train hard. I can do that on my own without the crap.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your too close to your Dan Ranking. If you want to take a rest, take it after you have reached that level. Once you become a Black Belt, your a Black Belt. Trying to come back at the gup level will almost always have you going backwards in time and money. I think your last post really let thru your true feelings, "tired of all the BS and Politics". We have all been there at one time or another. Finish this part of the journey, otherwise I fear you will have a major regret that will only serve to frustrate you in the future.

:asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I still want to practice my forms. But as far as training at a dojang, I really don't know. I was turned off by politics, money, and BS. Unless I really find a dojang that hit me like my TSD dojang (in NJ), but here in NY. Not the style per-say (sp?), but the dojang itself. No BS, just train hard. I can do that on my own without the crap.

I kind of agree with Brad Dunne. if you can, finish you black belt, then step back for a while and decide what you need. I have spent years at a time practicing by myself, mostly doing forms and heavybag work. Find what you like best about it and find your own motivation. Do things your own way.

Later, I have found new teachers and new arts that inspired me to get more heavily involved. But that training time spent alone is tremendously valuable. Even if you never join another school, that stuff that you have learned belongs to you and you can practice on your own terms. Even when I have belonged to a school, I have still spent a lot of time training by myself, because for me it is a personal journey and I tend to not be the "joining" type of person.

Maybe you need a new teacher. Some teachers are very low-profile, don't belong to big organizations, don't have political issues, and just love to teach and train. Often, if they do use a ranking system, it is heavily downplayed and not given much attention. If you found someone like this, regardless of the style taught, you might find yourself a lot happier with the arrangement, and much happier with the training. This is the kind of relationship I have with my kung fu sifu, and I like it a lot. He doesn't pressure me into anything, and my own development depends on my own motivation. he just teaches me what he feels I am ready for, and what I am ready for depends on my own motivation to train.

Take a break if you need to, but finish your black belt if you can. then reassess your needs and desires and go from there. All the best, I am sure at some point you will figure it out. The final result may be a surprise to you, and you end up exactly where you never expected to be.
icon12.gif

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I kinda agree, but I don't want my BB here. It's not about MA. It's about politics and money. If I get my BB, it will be through a dojang that cares about technique, and martial arts. I don't mind a dojang trying to earn enough to keep the doors open, ect. But this dojang is all about money and politic BS. I DON'T want to test for my BB here.

Flying, my jujitsu instructor is very laid back. No org, or nothing. I wanna still train with him, but he wanted me to get my BB in TKD first (something about a BB would understand mentally more or something ... he teaches a very brutal art of jujitsu). But, I don't want it. He may still teach me. We'll see.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hiya all.

This may be a shock to some folks, but I have decided to bow out of MA. It's been a long time coming. I havn't trained that much since febuary (15 classes at most). The new dojang was/is nice. They train like I want, but I just lost the passion for MA. Finding this new dojang was an attept to get that back, but it didn't work. I think the best thing is to let it go. Maybe someday the passion will return. But, for now, I'll just cheer on my other half who is still in it.

I'll still pop in on MT to visit with my MT buds, though.

I'd be a hipocrite to chastize you. But I encourage you to change to a different art or something before you leave.

You're karate kid, fine, you can get your MT name changed... Go Kung Fu.. Go Kenpo.. Go Arnis. Go somewhere. I beg you to reconsider.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I'd be a hipocrite to chastize you. But I encourage you to change to a different art or something before you leave.

You're karate kid, fine, you can get your MT name changed... Go Kung Fu.. Go Kenpo.. Go Arnis. Go somewhere. I beg you to reconsider.

I'm actually looking, believe it or not. There's a rumor that my old Judo instructor is back at the YMCA. I have to confirm that, though. And I would like to stay with Jujitsu, but that's up in the air right now.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might consider looking for a rankless system. I have a feeling you'd go forever in such an environment.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By all means - don't throw out the baby with the bathwater! You still have much to learn. You started walking the martial path - so don't stop and give up! Find another guide...

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Update all. It's good news. I thought alot about what you all said here, and I have talked to my friend Heidi many times when I have MA "troubles." There's some stuff she said that didn't sink in till later. But finally it has ... after a month ... Sorry Heidi, that it took so long.

Anyways, the good news is that I am going back to the ITF school that I mentioned on here a few times two days a week to get my "feet wet" again in MA. I'm going to take it easy at first, learn my new forms, and see what happens. Wish me luck
icon_smile.gif

Latest Discussions