General punching

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you teach people to punch, do you teach to hit the target or go though the target.

Do you tell them to use the tricep and not the bicep and do you explain that the tricep is the gas and the bicep is the brake on a car.

Basically how do you teach your student to punch correctly?
Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Non-TKD answer here ;)

I teach to punch through the target and use the legs and weight shifting, not the arms to provide the power behind it.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Non-TKD answer here ;)

I teach to punch through the target and use the legs and weight shifting, not the arms to provide the power behind it.

Yeah, I was working with the kids last night. I was going over horse stance with them and just teaching them basic reverse punch. I had a pork chop for their target. I was definitely telling them of the importance of "Looking through and past your target."

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I start them actually hitting a target, then hitting through it. I have found that accuracy at white belt is more immportant than power.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Stoker,
I would find it appropriate to answer your questions in reverse order.

terryl965 said:
Basically how do you teach your student to punch correctly?
Preliminary to the punch, the student learns proper stance, balance, body alignment and movement. They learn how to breathe correctly, and how to Kihap to control their breath, tighten muscles, and use Ki.

As for the punch itself, I first teach them the proper method of clenching the fist. I show them the bone alignment in the wrist and hand, and to use the first two base knuckles (index and middle finger) upon impact. I then show them the basic movements of the punch in slow motion - - the path the fist takes to the fully extended position. I teach them accuracy, and how to relax, then tighten the muscles at the proper moment. I'm not going to reveal all the secrets of a proper Taekwondo punch here (those who are trained will know what I am leaving out, and will hopefully understand why), but the power is equally generated throughout the entire body.

terryl965 said:
Do you tell them to use the tricep and not the bicep and do you explain that the tricep is the gas and the bicep is the brake on a car.

Yes, this is not the analogy I use, but it is a good one. Of course, there are many muscles involved in the extending of the arm in a punch, not only in the arm itself, but in the whole body. If you were to use only the triceps, the elbow would not move, and the arm would extend downward. The biceps muscle must relax to not resist the extension, and can be considered the brake, but only applied if you are not hitting a target, using light or controlled power, or only after passing through the boards when breaking. The elbow must come to a full extension, completely straight (not hyper-extended, but not bent), however, contact is made while the elbow is bent, and the fist only partly rotated.

terryl965 said:
When you teach people to punch, do you teach to hit the target or go though the target.

This will depend on the purpose of the strike. Most initial strikes in self defense are stinging blows designed to be quick (not telegraph), daze or distract the opponent, and set up for the more powerful punch. Some people will want a clear definition as to what the term "target" means. It could be the surface of the object you are striking, a point just at the back side of the object, or the point at which you intend to stop your punch some distance beyond the object (more like your "target destination").

In my terminology, the target is the surface of the object you are striking. If it is your intention to distract your opponent, a snappy punch, or jab to the surface might only touch the skin. If you intend to stun, daze, or slightly injure your opponent, the full extension of your punch will be aimed an inch or two beyond the surface (into the middle of the object). If you are attempting to destroy the object, your punch is aimed, and your mental focus is to a point approximately one foot beyond the back of the target.

Thus, if you wish to break boards, you don't even think about there being a "target" there. I am going to rapidly accelerate my punch from point "A" (near my body) to point "B," and anything that gets in the way is going to be destroyed. If it just so happens that a few boards, or a person's body is in the path of my fist, then my fist will pass through it on the way to it's destination. The only "targeting" I do then, is the "bullseye" target of a pinpoint accurate point of entry into the front of the object, and exit out the back, with not regard for stopping until I reach point "B."

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Non-TKD answer here ;)

Perfect answer.

Its amazing how many people dont actually know how to throw a good punch.

No disrespect intended.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
''I'm not going to reveal all the secrets of a proper Taekwondo punch here ''

Now im interested.

How does a TKD punch differ from a standard boxing?muay thai punch then?I have seen a couple so I have an idea of the difference.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Master Stoker,
I would find it appropriate to answer your questions in reverse order.

Preliminary to the punch, the student learns proper stance, balance, body alignment and movement. They learn how to breathe correctly, and how to Kihap to control their breath, tighten muscles, and use Ki.

As for the punch itself, I first teach them the proper method of clenching the fist. I show them the bone alignment in the wrist and hand, and to use the first two base knuckles (index and middle finger) upon impact. I then show them the basic movements of the punch in slow motion - - the path the fist takes to the fully extended position. I teach them accuracy, and how to relax, then tighten the muscles at the proper moment. I'm not going to reveal all the secrets of a proper Taekwondo punch here (those who are trained will know what I am leaving out, and will hopefully understand why), but the power is equally generated throughout the entire body.

Yes, this is not the analogy I use, but it is a good one. Of course, there are many muscles involved in the extending of the arm in a punch, not only in the arm itself, but in the whole body. If you were to use only the triceps, the elbow would not move, and the arm would extend downward. The biceps muscle must relax to not resist the extension, and can be considered the brake, but only applied if you are not hitting a target, using light or controlled power, or only after passing through the boards when breaking. The elbow must come to a full extension, completely straight (not hyper-extended, but not bent), however, contact is made while the elbow is bent, and the fist only partly rotated.

This will depend on the purpose of the strike. Most initial strikes in self defense are stinging blows designed to be quick (not telegraph), daze or distract the opponent, and set up for the more powerful punch. Some people will want a clear definition as to what the term "target" means. It could be the surface of the object you are striking, a point just at the back side of the object, or the point at which you intend to stop your punch some distance beyond the object (more like your "target destination").

In my terminology, the target is the surface of the object you are striking. If it is your intention to distract your opponent, a snappy punch, or jab to the surface might only touch the skin. If you intend to stun, daze, or slightly injure your opponent, the full extension of your punch will be aimed an inch or two beyond the surface (into the middle of the object). If you are attempting to destroy the object, your punch is aimed, and your mental focus is to a point approximately one foot beyond the back of the target.

Thus, if you wish to break boards, you don't even think about there being a "target" there. I am going to rapidly accelerate my punch from point "A" (near my body) to point "B," and anything that gets in the way is going to be destroyed. If it just so happens that a few boards, or a person's body is in the path of my fist, then my fist will pass through it on the way to it's destination. The only "targeting" I do then, is the "bullseye" target of a pinpoint accurate point of entry into the front of the object, and exit out the back, with not regard for stopping until I reach point "B."

CM D.J. Eisenhart
Last fearner you are so elegrent with the pen your post are so insightful andwell writen. Did you write athesis on TKD and if so would you like to share, would be interesting to read.
Thanks
Terry

Latest Discussions