Bowing out

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

This may be a shock to some folks, but I have decided to bow out of MA. It's been a long time coming. I havn't trained that much since febuary (15 classes at most). The new dojang was/is nice. They train like I want, but I just lost the passion for MA. Finding this new dojang was an attept to get that back, but it didn't work. I think the best thing is to let it go. Maybe someday the passion will return. But, for now, I'll just cheer on my other half who is still in it.

I'll still pop in on MT to visit with my MT buds, though.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laurie,

I remember how happy you were to find this new place. Everyone goes through what you are at some point.

It is all good, take your time. You will be back.

Later,

Matt

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that is disappointing, but you need to do what is right for you. I have had times when I have drifted away from the arts for a time, only to come back a year or so later. I recently rejoined my capoeira school after an absence of about 8 years, while I studied kung-fu. It is good to be back.

Keep an open mind. The spark may come back for you someday, maybe you just need to be away for awhile to find it. Do what you feel is right. All the best.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forcing yourself to do something you feel no passion for is a way to ensure you never do feel passion for it. Take some time off, try new things; if it is meant to be that you return, then you will. Keep us updated on how things are going for you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a shame I have always thought you had a passion for the Art side, in time it will resourvice and then your journey will begin again
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we've been down this road a few times, haven't we? :) This time, I'm just going to offer you best wishes in whatever you choose to pursue. There's always room for you if/when you decide to return.

Highest Regards,

Gemini

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurie:

While I'm sorry to hear that you're bowing out, I think its good that you're doing what's best for you. Kacey's right, if you don't enjoy it, you'll be miserable.

You're always welcome here.:)

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all :) I feel loved :)

I wouldn't leave MT. You guys have been so supportive through my "ups" and "downs." So, I'll still be here, and return the favor (support) when needed ;) Thanks so much, all.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

Sorry to get in late, havent been posting very often, but I wanted to wish you the best.

Follow your heart...regardless of where you find yourself you will know the road was true!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck! One of the beautiful things about the martial arts is that they can be enjoyed at any age. In the future, you may find yourself thinking how great it would be feel to be back on the mat. And, you won't be too old!

Take Care,

Miles

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Youz'll be back, they always come back, seriously though may be you do need a break albeit long term even. I am glad you are not leaving MT you are one of the positive voices here.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take some time off ... occasionally play in other arts ... be true to yourself.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Laurie,

Good luck! Follow your heart in doing what you need/want to do. If you don't come back to TKD, that is ok. If you do return, that is also ok. Either way, I support you in your decision.

- Ceicei

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Laurie...... I'm going to offer a different opinion, and say don't do that. It is not uncommon for someone at your rank to become bored, or lose their ambition, and motivation. I suggest re-analyzing why you began training in the first place, and what your goals are. What do you benefit from training? What would make it more interesting to you?

If necessary, talk to your instructor about this. If you have, talk again! If no progress is made, consider reducing the frequency of your training, but the moment you stop, you will begin to break the habit, and the chances of you returning will diminish with each passing week. If things are not working out at your new school (even if you think they are) you might consider looking for a different instructor or school to find the spark you need.

I was taught as a student, and I still teach my students, five tenets of Taekwondo by which you live your life:

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance *(NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER QUIT)
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit (NO MATTER THE OBSTACLE, KEEP YOUR SPIRIT STRONG)

To me, these are not just words on a paper hand-out, or part of an answer you recite in class, or at a test. These are the guidelines by which you conduct your life - - In ALL circumstances! In tough times, as well as easy. Focus - - look inside yourself - - find the drive, and desire, and keep the dream alive. Set your goals and continue to strive for them! Passion is great, and you should strive to get it back, but just because you haven't found it yet, don't give up the search, or hope it will return someday.

Your Martial Art training is not a "hobby" to be taken lightly, or easily traded for stamp collecting. It is a way of life (for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health, till death do us part) Stick it out, and see if you feel differently in 6 months time. I believe you will be glad you did. :)

If I have to, I'll come out there to New York, or wherever you are, and put the spark back in you girl!!! lol :lol:

Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions