bone toughening

M

muayThaiPerson

theres a lot of talk about shin toughening, the number one answer ot shin toughening is kickin a heavy bag alot. i felt the shins of MT fighters who have trained for years, boy are they tough. so i was thinking, can this type of toughening be aplied to fist as well? ive thought about the wrist breaking, but good handwrap can take care of that right?

i really want ot hear input on this
thanks

OP
M

Master of Blades

Drinking you're milk is an easier, less painful option :rofl:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

i really want ot hear input on this
thanks

Of course you can. You can toughen them up so much that you can only used them for punching, but that's maybe why you want to toughen them to be able to punch with out any problems?

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how much you try an toughen a bone, or joint (it's worse) there are side effects. You wont notice them much when your 20, but when your 40 - 50 plus you'll start noticing it.

So think twice.

/Yari

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

so what your saying is for us martial artist, who kick heavy bags and get our shins toughend, we will all notice side effects when we're 50?

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

No dude. The detrimental effect will come if you put your body through punishment it was not meant to take. Hitting or kicking a heavy bag, or any soft target, will not hurt you if you do it right. Now if you go to the extreme of it, like constantly use a makira(spl) board or hittig buckets of rice or shot, you will damage your in a way that will effect you later. We all grow old and fragile sooner or later, but don't feel the need to rush it :)

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, Kenpo Wolf. I was just reading an article about Jim Lacy in Black Belt, Nov 2002...it says he worked for eighteen years to be capable of smashing a coconut with his inner forearm....which is handy, if you are often attacked by coconuts, but i prefer a chisel.

Seriously dude....for toughening u should read "desensitization" - ur still getting damaged, u just dont feel it. We feel pain for a reason..it tells us what we're doing is stupid.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sometimes you just can't avoid the old boxer's fracture...even the pros get them...in fact, all of them i would say have had a boxer's fracture at least once. if not, they're pretty lucky.

toughening bones...? i'd go with the milk idea. get some calcium in ya. hitting bones against something hard repeatedly will only weaken a bone i'd say. ever seen a shin bone snap in half? rolling things on the shin is not great for it either. yes...a lot of hardcore muay thai fighters do experience problems later in life. boxers of course feel the effects of fighting later on, but they tend to fall victim of being punch drunk.

someone here probably has the link to that movie of the guy breaking his on another fighter's...

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your shins will be fine later if you desensitize them properly but your hand will suffer later if you try to toughen them up too much. Too many joints and bones taking to much punishment. I used to condition my hands until I found out what I was doing was stupid. But it definately works if you really don't give a poop.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

There are a couple of things you can do...

Make sure you get enough calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D.
Deaden the nerves which can be done in a lot of drills, etc.
Increase bone density by working the calves, shins, and ankles

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

so what your saying is for us martial artist, who kick heavy bags and get our shins toughend, we will all notice side effects when we're 50?

Yes. There are alot of things it depends on; your overall condition, how old you were when you started on so on. WEre you live ( you'll feel it more in cold damp areas, and oppesite to livving in the sunny/warm south).

But the bottom line is that the cells in your body get broken. The structur reorg. and the nerves smashed until the don't function correctly. THe blood vesels will stop growing out to those areas.

This is worse case. But it's the price for toughening. I agree with Damian Mavis. It's even worse on the hands. Toughing a joint were i bends only ruins the soft bone structur in the joint.

/Yari

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i agree with the milk deal but is hitting a bag barefist safe?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

i agree with the milk deal but is hitting a bag barefist safe?

not as safe as hitting it with wrapped hands. however, if you have been hitting the bag for a while now your wrists will be able to take the bare-handed workout better.

still...it's a lot easier to injure a hand when it isn't wrapped.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you hit something harder then your hands, you are doing damage. That is not debatable, but medical fact. Microfractures are horrible realities...and the older you get, the more apparent they make themselves. Microfractures making bone stronger is also a myth.

As far as hitting heavybags with no gloves...that depends on you. How is your striking alignment? If it's off...you can seriously hurt yourself. Hence the 'boxer breaks'..

it's a lot easier to injure a hand when it isn't wrapped.

Very true. Wraps act as a brace for the wrist and hand. It creates the alignment, even if the person wearing the wraps hasn't created that alignment for themselves.

OP
C

chufeng

"in fact, all of them i would say have had a boxer's fracture at least once. if not, they're pretty lucky."

NO...
"boxer's fractures" are more common in the street than in the ring...I've lived around boxers all of my life...only ONE has sustained a boxer's fracture (and he got it in a street fight without his hands wrapped).

Proper training and proper wrapping of the hands (that's why a good coach is so important) will prevent this fracture (caused by hitting wrong in the first place).

Never try a new technique "full blast."
Work up to it slowly so you develop proper alignment and strengthen the joints to take the punishment.

Enthusiasm is great, but probably the cause for more injuries than anything else...take your time...train correctly, and you'll get there...boxer's fractures take a VERY long time to heal due to poor blood supply...the down time is NOT worth rushing your training.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

oh right, thats wat i meant. when i said barefist i meant the hands were wrapped but contact is without gloves. dont microfractured heal?

OP
C

chufeng

Most fractures will heal if given enough time to mend.
Most bones will lay more bone down when under stress...

However, if you have a fracture and continue to reinjure it, it will probably not mend and become a source for chronic inflammation.

"microfractures" are probably not even noticed by most folks...yeah the bone is a little sore, but that is because you've been training, right?

So, the area doesn't get a chance to heal as most folks just keep pounding away at the injured area...

If you rest it, though, (about six weeks) it will heal.

:asian:
chufeng