Black Belt Magazine Number 1

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just thought that someone on this board might like to see this.

Black Belt Vol 1

This Magazine has an article about GM Ed Parker

:asian:

M

MisterMike

$250 ????

Guess that's not for leaving on the back of the toilet.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't call me old but, I still have my Issue # 1 of Black belt Magazine. They used to be located in L.A. on Washington Blvd near Fairfax, along with their brother company "Martial Arts Supply."

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Don't call me old but, I still have my Issue # 1 of Black belt Magazine. They used to be located in L.A. on Washington Blvd near Fairfax, along with their brother company "Martial Arts Supply."

You're Old! Ha Ha Ha! Well, at least older than me. What's so bad about that?

On another note, I remember talking about Black Belt Magazine while we were on the way out to Valencia. Can you tell everyone a little history about Black Belt Magazine, and how it all got started? It seems to me that Ed Parker had something to do with it, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bill Lear
You're Old! Ha Ha Ha! Well, at least older than me. What's so bad about that?

On another note, I remember talking about Black Belt Magazine while we were on the way out to Valencia. Can you tell everyone a little history about Black Belt Magazine, and how it all got started? It seems to me that Ed Parker had something to do with it, but I could be wrong. Thanks.
Mind you, this is like 5th hand info, but:
I believe that the original editors/publishers of Black Belt Mag. consulted Mr. Parker on some of the business side of things as they were trying to launch the endevour and asked him (E.P.) to become a partner with them. If memory serves Mr. Parker had some business deals of his own up in the air at the time; waiting/working for them to pay off so he turned them down... but said they could 'consult' with him in the future, which he did. I believe that they also looked to him and his art for good article ideas as well as contacts throughout the martial arts community of America as Mr. Parker was just about on a first name basis with all of the major and semi-major martial artists of the norther hemisphere....and then some.
I'm certain Doc will know more.

Your Brother
John

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my copy of the Magizine was given o a riend while I was i in the sevice along with my first issues of Marval comics. I didn't think I'd be back to read them

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

Mind you, this is like 5th hand info, but:
I believe that the original editors/publishers of Black Belt Mag. consulted Mr. Parker on some of the business side of things as they were trying to launch the endevour and asked him (E.P.) to become a partner with them. If memory serves Mr. Parker had some business deals of his own up in the air at the time; waiting/working for them to pay off so he turned them down... but said they could 'consult' with him in the future, which he did. I believe that they also looked to him and his art for good article ideas as well as contacts throughout the martial arts community of America as Mr. Parker was just about on a first name basis with all of the major and semi-major martial artists of the norther hemisphere....and then some.
I'm certain Doc will know more.

Your Brother
John

Seems to be what I recall too.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Uyehara Brothers were good friends with Parker and asked him to bring his expertise to create a magazine and be a partner in the business. Parker was too busy but expressed his support. The Magazine was "Black Belt" and Parker was featured in the first issue, and was a regular contributor until he passed.

Parker never regreted his decision even though later, his own magazine "Action Karate" folded. Although Parker's magazine was a much better product, his busness partners mismanaged the magazine and only about 6 issues were printed. They are classics now and had Parker, Chuck Norris, and Joe Lewis on one cover, and featured notables like Steve Sanders competing against Carlos Bunda in a vintage sixties I.K.C. on another.

Throughout the years Parker always supported Black Belt and was always welcome by his friend Mito Uyehara. In fact whenever we went over there, you couldn't tell that Parker didn't own the place.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

The Uyehara Brothers were good friends with Parker and asked him to bring his expertise to create a magazine and be a partner in the business. Parker was too busy but expressed his support. The Magazine was "Black Belt" and Parker was featured in the first issue, and was a regular contributor until he passed.

Parker never regreted his decision even though later, his own magazine "Action Karate" folded. Although Parker's magazine was a much better product, his busness partners mismanaged the magazine and only about 6 issues were printed. They are classics now and had Parker, Chuck Norris, and Joe Lewis on one cover, and featured notables like Steve Sanders competing against Carlos Bunda in a vintage sixties I.K.C. on another.

Throughout the years Parker always supported Black Belt and was always welcome by his friend Mito Uyehara. In fact whenever we went over there, you couldn't tell that Parker didn't own the place.

I didn't know that Mr. Parker was involved in Action Karate. Thanks. :D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
The IKKA used to sell back issues through the association. I wish I had all the old Blk Blt,Fighting Stars,Karate Illustrated,etc.,etc.,etc.,that I used to have stashed ! One day I threw them all out. I thought I was doin the right thing. Oh well live, and learn...

B.H.G. :asian:

Latest Discussions