Ekks

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Can anyone tell me anything about the EKKS or about Senior Professor Brint Berry ?

Does anybody know who he studied under ?

Or anything.

Thanks

Chicago Green Dragon

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is that he sells an @ss load of videos (and now moving into the dvd version) on e-bay. Other than that I don't know anything.:confused:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Thank you for your reply.

I noticed he has a lot of interesting videos on ebay.

Chicago Green Dragon
:asian:

OP
J

jeff

Hello,

Here is some information about the EKKS, or Eastern Kenpo Karate Association.

Senior Professor Brint Berry, 7th degree black belt, is the President and Founder of the EKKS, and he studied under Master Jay T. Will, 8th. degree black belt, who was the founder of the UKKA.

Master Jay T. Will was a student of Senior Grandmaster Ed Parker.

The EKKS is American Kenpo Karate, with all of the forms and techniques, of American Kenpo Karate. The main difference is that all of the system is learned by 3rd degree black belt, instead of waiting until 5th degree black belt. This includes all weapons, tecniques, and forms. The entire system.

The EKKS system also has some techniques that were created by Master Jay T. Will, and Senior Professor Brint Berry.

More info can be found at the web site at:

http://www.easternkenpokaratesociety.com

I hope that helps.

Jeff

Chicago Green Dragon said:
Can anyone tell me anything about the EKKS or about Senior Professor Brint Berry ?

Or anything.

Thanks

Chicago Green Dragon

OP
M

max49c

Yes, I am aware of him. quality is terrible, and customer service is worse. The word on the street was correct.

If you go to his web site, or read the ebay info, you are lead to believe that he is some renowned kenpoist. BEWARE OF THESE SMALL TIME BLACK BELTS putting out their own videos recorded in their back yard. Though I did not expect an epic motion picture, his videos fall way below the line.

You could tell that these DVD's were converted from VHS tapes, quality was like a poor EP speed tape, WITH CLIPS OF OTHER STUFF HE HAD RECORDED ON THESE TAPES (a brief shot of his bedroom? and a movie he must have taped from television, and a vacation trip to the Caverns.) Ambient sound is louder than his voice; and his kids are playing ON CAMERA while he is instructing (very unprofessional); BUT THE WORST THING WAS THAT THERE IS AN ENTIRE SEGMENT SHOT IN THE DARK. ALL YOU CAN SEE IS A BLACK SILOUETTE AND HEAR HIS VOICE (and that of his washing machine & dryer). I am totally serious. And on top of all that, some of the DVD's were defective.

DON'T EVEN THINK OF GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK, he will does not give refunds!!! I learned an expensive lesson.

Stick with the big names, like the Karate Connection. These folks are geared toward quality, customer service, bargains, and seeing you thru to completion..

-------------
Chicago Green Dragon said:

Or anything.

Thanks

Chicago Green Dragon

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
max49c said:
Yes, I am aware of him. quality is terrible, and customer service is worse. The word on the street was correct.

If you go to his web site, or read the ebay info, you are lead to believe that he is some renowned kenpoist. BEWARE OF THESE SMALL TIME BLACK BELTS putting out their own videos recorded in their back yard. Though I did not expect an epic motion picture, his videos fall way below the line.

You could tell that these DVD's were converted from VHS tapes, quality was like a poor EP speed tape, WITH CLIPS OF OTHER STUFF HE HAD RECORDED ON THESE TAPES (a brief shot of his bedroom? and a movie he must have taped from television, and a vacation trip to the Caverns.) Ambient sound is louder than his voice; and his kids are playing ON CAMERA while he is instructing (very unprofessional); BUT THE WORST THING WAS THAT THERE IS AN ENTIRE SEGMENT SHOT IN THE DARK. ALL YOU CAN SEE IS A BLACK SILOUETTE AND HEAR HIS VOICE (and that of his washing machine & dryer). I am totally serious. And on top of all that, some of the DVD's were defective.

DON'T EVEN THINK OF GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK, he will does not give refunds!!! I learned an expensive lesson.

Stick with the big names, like the Karate Connection. These folks are geared toward quality, customer service, bargains, and seeing you thru to completion..

-------------
I concur with the above statements, fortunately, it didn't cost me any money to find out LOL. He also holds up handwritten signs for sets and forms and many of them are misspelled and look like a 6 year old drew them LOL.

Stay away from these tapes, they suck.

DarK LorD

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
I concur with the above statements, fortunately, it didn't cost me any money to find out LOL. He also holds up handwritten signs for sets and forms and many of them are misspelled and look like a 6 year old drew them LOL.

Stay away from these tapes, they suck.

DarK LorD

I see everyone is in agreement on the quality of these videos. How's the Kenpo?...or should I not even bother asking?

Can someone post a clip? I'd love to see it.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Senior Professor Brint Berry, 7th degree black belt, is the President and Founder of the EKKS, and he studied under Master Jay T. Will, 8th. degree black belt, who was the founder of the UKKA.

Master Jay T. Will was a student of Senior Grandmaster Ed Parker.

Ah but what you fail to mention Mr. Will is a Tracy Black Belt who was brought under first generation status somehow, maybe Doc or Goldendragon can enlighten us as to how that actually happened.

So for as to how much material is actually EPAK and not Tracy's Kenpo is unknown. I have not seen the tapes but I do have some of Mr. Will's books and much of his material is very much Tracy's.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo3631 said:
Ah but what you fail to mention Mr. Will is a Tracy Black Belt who was brought under first generation status somehow, maybe Doc or Goldendragon can enlighten us as to how that actually happened.
I'm neither Doc nor Goldendragon, but I can tell you what Jay told me about it. He said that he originally studied under Ed Parker, but when he went to college in San Jose, he studied (at Mr. Parker's recommendation) at the Tracy's studio there, where he earned his shodan. He later re-tested under Mr. Parker (he said he wanted to get a black belt from his original instructor), claiming that the Parker and Tracy systems were identical at that time. So, he was a second-generation black belt (under Tracy's) who was later upgraded to first-generation status (under Ed Parker). And yes, his material was nearly identical to that of the Tracy's organization, but I believe that Brint Berry later switched to EPAK.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
All I know is that he sells an @ss load of videos (and now moving into the dvd version) on e-bay. Other than that I don't know anything.:confused:
Watch that language bub, there's little kids on this forum!:whip:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go ahead and use the profanity, our filters should bleep it out. Using symbols to avoid the profanity filters is against MT Policy and Rules.

Just a friendly reminder & thanks to Dr. Kenpo.

-Michael

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Go ahead and use the profanity, our filters should bleep it out. Using symbols to avoid the profanity filters is against MT Policy and Rules.

Wait, I'm only giving Mr. F a hard time here. I'm just a rookie.:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Michael Billings said:

Wait, I'm only giving Mr. F a hard time here. I'm just a rookie.:)
Nice going "rookie" see what you did now........ he just called me and was crying....... you go to your corner for a half hour of time out!
:whip:

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Nice going "rookie" see what you did now........ he just called me and was crying....... you go to your corner for a half hour of time out!
:whip:
I will obey, Master..................:waah:

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here checked out Brint Berry's website? It is huge. Seemed to have a lot of non-martial art info on it.

Dark Kenpo Lord, tell me your joking about the quality of the videos/dvd's. How can some one put something like that on the market and expect to sell more than one copy?:idunno: Pretty funny though. I would like to see the dvd's just for humor.

WOW, I got an orange belt somewhere in there.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Has anyone here checked out Brint Berry's website? It is huge. Seemed to have a lot of non-martial art info on it.

Dark Kenpo Lord, tell me your joking about the quality of the videos/dvd's. How can some one put something like that on the market and expect to sell more than one copy?:idunno: Pretty funny though. I would like to see the dvd's just for humor.

WOW, I got an orange belt somewhere in there.
I wished I had an answer for you, sadly, this stuff is out there and keeps getting passed around as GOOD Kenpo. I'm going to change that, I will revolutionize how people view this art and the sophisticated simplicity, I just need a couple more months and a good webmaster. I will almost guarantee that most Kenpoists will be floored when they see what I'm doing.

DarK LorD

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, you know I gotta bite just for kicks & giggles, and just because the setup was too perfect to pass up...floored impressed, or floored laughing? :ultracool

D.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Now, you know I gotta bite just for kicks & giggles, and just because the setup was too perfect to pass up...floored impressed, or floored laughing? :ultracool

D.
Well, you live local, why not come see me sometime (I'm very easy to find and contact should you want) and compare notes and you can judge for yourself. All I know from you is your internet persona, I know nothing of your skills, and the fact you have no one comfirming or denying you are anything but a keyboard Kenpoist. You also haven't listed your identity, rank, lineage, etc.. You're in Huntington Beach, this is Steve Spry territory, are you in his lineage (I know you're not him, your spelling is near impeccable)?

DarK LorD

Latest Discussions