Best kicks for average folks

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BJJ? No but it is in Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Check this from 'The Gracie Academy' start at about the :056 mark.

Yeah, but that first clothing choke ain’t gonna’ work, because, you know, he’s wearing a T-shirt.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but that first clothing choke ain’t gonna’ work, because, you know, he’s wearing a T-shirt.

only choke that could work against his size is rear naked
A triangle choke and he would pick you off the ground in 2 seconds
Maybe a Darci choke
I would never mess with a 6-6 , 300 ib dude

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am an average white belt in BJJ
I have no ranking as I do no gi !!
This one guy started a year after me and already has a blue and he is not that good .
Him and I fought to a draw but him being 20 yrs younger would win if the match was more than 5 min

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am the worst in my BJJ class
I am in the upper middle of my beg mma class which is half wrestling
I am in middle of my striking class

why last in BJJ : because it’s a hard class and I am not the brightest guy or biggest

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

why last in BJJ : because it’s a hard class and I am not the brightest guy or biggest
Neither of which actually matters so stop making excuses

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am an average white belt in BJJ
I have no ranking as I do no gi !!
This one guy started a year after me and already has a blue and he is not that good .
Him and I fought to a draw but him being 20 yrs younger would win if the match was more than 5 min
No if he beats you after 5 minutes it has nothing to do with someone being 20 years younger. It's to do with the fact he's fitter than you. Stop blaming age for your poor performance

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
only choke that could work against his size is rear naked
A triangle choke and he would pick you off the ground in 2 seconds
Maybe a Darci choke
I would never mess with a 6-6 , 300 ib dude
Oh wow this wins most ignorant comment of the day. I'd ask if you're serious but I just know you are

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

We get it you suck at bjj. You've told us that about 100 times...you suck so what're you going to do about it to get better? Or are you just going to continue to blame your instructor, or your age or your back or whatever else pops into your head. Everyone's got an excuse I've got a ton I could use. I'm a diabetic, alcoholic with depression I could easily make excuses for my performance not being good but I don't I just get in there and do what I can to get better. Will I ever be at elite level? No but I'm also not going to sit around blaming everyone but myself. I'm not great at bjj I'm not but that's no ones fault but my own so I get on with it and keep training to get better. Will I ever be an amazing medal winner ? Probably not but I don't care about that stuff. You want to get better there's no quick fix. Stop making excuses stop complaining and just train

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
him being 20 yrs younger would win if the match was more than 5 min

You've been told this but keep using your age as an excuse, you don't do any fitness or conditioning, that's why you're beaten, nothing to do with age at all. Many of us beat younger people because we stay fit, that and the fact we learnt the basics, keep practising them as well as constantly learn, keeps minds and bodies active.

Why as a beginner are you doing all these classes? If you are doing a proper MMA class you won't at this point need BJJ and striking classes because that should all be in your MMA. Just do the MMA and a conditioning and fitness class/session, you will benefit far more than classes which are likely to give you conflicting information and where you don't seem to learn a lot. Which instructor is giving you all the duff gen or are you picking it out of random conversations you hear?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you are learning the basic concepts and techniques, it doesn't matter what you're wearing. Worry about the clothing after you get past the starting point.

The argument is no gi works with a gi. But gi doesn't really work in no gi.

Otherwise I don't think doing either is as big an issue as say rolling without striking. Which changes the dynamic considerably.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Otherwise I don't think doing either is as big an issue as say rolling without striking. Which changes the dynamic considerably.

Whatever you start in, the beginner's class is the one to go to not start in the advanced class. Always basics first.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. For the beginner, though, getting the basic principles is what matters most. And those are (with some adjustment in a couple of areas) basically the same principles. If you can do gi, you can learn the adjustments easily. I do agree the adjustments are probably easier in the other direction, but they mostly only matter when you have a bit of functional skill. If there are beginner classes in both, a new person could pick whichever they prefer. If there's only a beginner class in one (or a better beginner class in one), then they should choose that one, regardless of whether the evil gi is involved or not.

Besides, if he went to the gi class, he could have a fabulous gi like some folks have.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to bring it back home to the OP...

Most likely this one:
3b93742b7d19f7e143ae3b3e38c28c89.gif

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MMA class does tons of wrestling which i badly need!! And ground and pound
The BJJ does submissions
The striking does boxing and MT

I need all 3 !!!

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would say my striking is much better than my grappling . It’s low intermediate level .
However with only 10 wrestling classes and I have been practicing at home ..I have made very good progress . More progress in 10 classes than the 80 I had with my coach lol
Whom I fired !!!
My BJJ I know many of the moves and do ok when we drill but poorly when we fight as I am overmatched and I gas out after 5 min

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am super pleased with my wrestling improvements . This is the only good thing to happened to me since I stated 2 months ago lol