• The organiztion

• The student

• Both

• Doesn't matter I don't believe in Associations

Results are only viewable after voting.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I call my instructor Mr. Wedlake, but my dad calls him Lee. No biggy. I would feel wierd calling he Lee anyway, it's a respect thing. Even if he gave me permission I still would call him Mister.

I too was raised that when you are home the "bread winner" started his meal first. Then so on , and so forth. Also when in the presence of others, the host would always eat first.

Heck, I follow that custom and I'm a mere lad of 30!....:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

I call my instructor Mr. Wedlake, but my dad calls him Lee. No biggy. I would feel wierd calling he Lee anyway, it's a respect thing. Even if he gave me permission I still would call him Mister.

I too was raised that when you are home the "bread winner" started his meal first. Then so on , and so forth. Also when in the presence of others, the host would always eat first.

Heck, I follow that custom and I'm a mere lad of 30!....:asian:

Ditto........ We are together on this one......:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Did Mr. Parker have any eating customs or rules you guys who where close to him used to have to follow?
Hee hee........ yes eat or starve........ No seriously, I never heard any official customs but always waited for him and followed common manners. When I was in Pasadena we always loved to go to Genghis Khans a Korean buffet..... we would race...... lol sadly last year when I went to go back it had changed hands. Many great memories there.

Originally posted by brianhunter
As too the sir thing I know Sibok (Mr. Kelly) has told a couple of stories about guys saying "Hey Ed" and the likes and he used to break something off in them for it

Yes, he is very traditional (and has a deep love and respect for Mr. Parker) and so are a lot of other of Mr. Parkers close circle. They will be offended if you call him Ed. This is normal for any leader all over the world, we are no different. I wouldn't think of going to England and upon being introduced to Margaret Thatcher say "Hi Margi".... I would probably be hauled off ..... if not by the Bobbies....... the people!! lol

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
That is the first time i have heard the explanation of WHY that is done. It sure is nice to hear the WHY every now and then.

Many never ask first just criticize. Even if you don't agree, it is nice to understand the why's of what it is that we do...... I agree with you....... I enjoy explaining the why's. Glad to be of help.

OP
K

kenpochip

I am not sure what people mean when they ask who should benefit. I understand stand how the individual member would benefit, but what kind of benefit are we talking about for the organization itself (as a separate entity)? The way I look at it, the organization is the members + the leaders. Are we talking about the leaders of the organization making money, or benefitting in some other (more abstract) way?

KenpoChip

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpochip
I am not sure what people mean when they ask who should benefit.

I believe that both the members and the head of the Organization should benefit.

I understand stand how the individual member would benefit..

Some member benefits in my opinion are.......
A traceable Ed Parker lineage and certification, quality curriculum, instruction on methods of training, traditions, member unity, open communication to the leaders, consultation, studio administration, guidance and seminars from top Kenpo Instructors, tournament training, etc.

What kind of benefit are we talking about for the organization itself - just the leaders of the organization making money, or benefiting in some other (more abstract) way?

Well I think it is obvious that it is a business venture....... It was for Mr. Parker (his livelihood) and many others as well. However I see many benefits other than monetary such as more comradery between members, greater understanding of Kenpo and all it's variations, sharing curriculum ideas and evolving, developing new training drills or methods of teaching, meeting new people, and spreading the Art of Kenpo around the World.

To Teach is to Learn.........

OP
W

Wertle

I think it's interesting to see how different schools operate on terms of formality in addressing other members. I know in my system, the classes are on the smaller side, and there's a very familial atmosphere. We still maintain respect and order in classes, but they're fairly laid back, and my instructors are very much like surrogate big brothers to me.

When we go to classes with the Soke, I know (for me at least), referring to him as "Soke" carries the same sort of tone as if I were calling my grandfather "grandpa", rather than it would be like referring to a general.

I know in discussing class setups with some friends in different martial arts, we talked about schools set up in a military fashion and schools set up in a family fashion. My friend wasn't sure his class style fit into either category completely, so he suggested a temple set-up. Any thoughts on this?

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Wertle

I think it's interesting to see how different schools operate on terms of formality in addressing other members. I know in my system, the classes are on the smaller side, and there's a very familial atmosphere. We still maintain respect and order in classes, but they're fairly laid back, and my instructors are very much like surrogate big brothers to me.

When we go to classes with the Soke, I know (for me at least), referring to him as "Soke" carries the same sort of tone as if I were calling my grandfather "grandpa", rather than it would be like referring to a general.

I know in discussing class setups with some friends in different martial arts, we talked about schools set up in a military fashion and schools set up in a family fashion. My friend wasn't sure his class style fit into either category completely, so he suggested a temple set-up. Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by "temple" set up?

OP
W

Wertle

What do you mean by "temple" set up?

That's actually what I was wondering. I didn't know if it was a designated thing, or just something my friend was meddling with. I *think* he was referring to how the hierarchy of monks was set up in traditional Buddhist temples, but, having a completely limited knowledge of monks, I have no idea what that would be like.

OP
Z

Zeke

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Yes, he is very traditional (and has a deep love and respect for Mr. Parker) and so are a lot of other of Mr. Parkers close circle. They will be offended if you call him Ed. This is normal for any leader all over the world, we are no different. I wouldn't think of going to England and upon being introduced to Margaret Thatcher say "Hi Margi".... I would probably be hauled off ..... if not by the Bobbies....... the people!! lol

Well honestly if you did it in a respectful manner I not think anyone would have a problem with you calling her Maggie;) You see the thing is that the use of Mr., Mrs., and Yessir or Nosir is more or less an american idea. So over here in Europe it is nor such a big thing. And you can be respectful without using it. In some countries it will even be a sign of disrespect! :confused: Yes I know it sounds strange but it's the truth:D In my country you use a persons first name UNLESS you want to make fun of him , tell him you think he's an idiot or because you want him to know that you don't want anything to do with him ;) So I guess you can imagine that we sometimes feel a little weird calling the American instructors we bring in sir or Mr.:rolleyes: So normally I sort of "warn" them that we will tried to call them sirs/Mr. , but if the students don't do it , they should't take it as a sign of disrespect because it isn't meant that way. And I have yet to have anyone call us disrespectful when they left. One instructor even told me when he left that he was very surprised by how respectful my students were compared to his own, although mine called him by his fist name and his own adressed him as Mr. and Sir .
So as you said yourself "When in Rome":cool:
And of course when we are in the states we go with your ways (Well sort of;) )
Take care
Zeke

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Zeke

Well honestly if you did it in a respectful manner I not think anyone would have a problem with you calling her Maggie;) You see the thing is that the use of Mr., Mrs., and Yessir or Nosir is more or less an american idea. So over here in Europe it is nor such a big thing. And you can be respectful without using it. In some countries it will even be a sign of disrespect! :confused: Yes I know it sounds strange but it's the truth:D In my country you use a persons first name UNLESS you want to make fun of him , tell him you think he's an idiot or because you want him to know that you don't want anything to do with him ;) So I guess you can imagine that we sometimes feel a little weird calling the American instructors we bring in sir or Mr.:rolleyes: So normally I sort of "warn" them that we will tried to call them sirs/Mr. , but if the students don't do it , they should't take it as a sign of disrespect because it isn't meant that way. And I have yet to have anyone call us disrespectful when they left. One instructor even told me when he left that he was very surprised by how respectful my students were compared to his own, although mine called him by his fist name and his own adressed him as Mr. and Sir .
So as you said yourself "When in Rome":cool:
And of course when we are in the states we go with your ways (Well sort of;) )
Take care
Zeke

Every letter that was sent to me from England was addressed
"Master Kirk" ... is this like Mr?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

Every letter that was sent to me from England was addressed
"Master Kirk" ... is this like Mr?

MASTER KIRK???

Since When?, Where, How?:soapbox:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

MASTER KIRK???

Since When?, Where, How?:soapbox:

I shoulda known you'd have something to say about that
comment :rofl:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93

Just glance to the far left of the screen, and there it is, Master :eek:

That's it! I'm gonna sue Martial Talk!

This is too much!

I wanna see his credentials, his references, the works!:soapbox:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's it! I'm gonna sue Martial Talk!

This is too much!

I wanna see his credentials, his references, the works!:soapbox:

Again glance to the left and you'll see he has over 1200 references for you to read ;)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tried to eat first before Mr. Conatser, I caught a fork though my hand. :eek:

I've broken bread with Mr. Conaster and It has been my experience that if you don't eat when the opportunity presents itself, you would stay hungry, especially if he was buying :) We have both been known to put a serious strain on a Chinese Buffet.

Seriously, whatever happened to manners between adults and to our elders? I have chastised many a young store salesman who presumed because he had access to my first name, it was OK to use it. The rule is a simple one: You do not call anyone by their first name unless they give you permission to do so.

I received an e-mail from one of my nephews today who is 26 years old. The first word in his e-mail was "Sir." "Yes sir and no sir" has been in our family vocabulary since we all learned to talk, and I see no signs of it leaving anytime soon. Do they call me by my first name? Yes they do, just like Ed Parker Jr. did at that age, but it is always prefaced by "Uncle."

Now you don't have to make a big deal about it. I know Ed Parker ALLOWED some people to call him "Ed" even when he didn't like it. He never said a word to them but it did affect what he thought about that person. Generally speaking, if you refered to him inappropriately, you could never actually get as close as your indiscretion suggested you were no matter how hard you tried. I am the same way, if it matters to you. I geuss that's the burden of being old.

OP
K

Kirk

Doc, just be aware the my southern brethren (non M.A. ists) might
call you "Mr Ron" and mean it in the highest respect. :asian:

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow. I never ever thought that someone was being disrespectful to me by using my first name. I thought that was what it was for. Seems like a lot of b.s. to me. Sometimes the martial arts takes itself way to seriously.

Latest Discussions