Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is also size and how tall. A 6'9" is taller than 6 foot tall person!! But if that 6'9" is really skinny and that 6 foot tall person is sorta of like a bodybuilder, I would take the 6 foot tall person better chance to win fight over 6'9 person.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You don't know what true strength is, then. Come back when you grow up.

Mattocks I use to be smaller and getting water from fringe, carrying big TV, carrying box full of books or bag of groceries was much harder before.I was much weaker.

I got bit bigger now and if I only was a bodybuilder or power lifter even a borderline bodybuilder or power lifter it may make big difference.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It depends very much on what the small, weak, and short person knows and what the big, tall, and strong person doesn't.

I do not mean this in a negative way, but you are showing your lack of understanding of martial arts. Good technique and body mechanics overcome much.

My own style of karate comes from Okinawa. The Okinawans are not large people. The founder of my style was maybe 125 pounds soaking wet. And yet he trained US Marines who were are large as 6 foot 8 tall and weighed 250 or more, most of it muscle. If he could not demonstrate the effectiveness of his technique to them, convince them that he could toss them around like rag dolls, do you suppose they would have trained hard with him after work, night after night, and brought his style back to the USA with them? He obviously had to prove how well his system worked or they'd have refused to train with him.

Big is nice. I'm big. It means very little by itself in martial arts. If you don't already know that, you're not very good at martial arts.

You think so, but it's not true. We have a young woman in our dojo who most likely weighs about 100 pounds if that. I am pretty sure she can kick most men's butts. And even assuming someone larger got ahold of her and threw her to the ground, she'd be back up in a second, and they'd be tasting their testicles. Trust me on this.

I think big, tall and strong person make really good at at Judo and wrestling.

But in self defense most people on street don't know how to fight or they try to emulate how street gangs fight or what they see on TV.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is also size and how tall. A 6'9" is taller than 6 foot tall person!! But if that 6'9" is really skinny and that 6 foot tall person is sorta of like a bodybuilder, I would take the 6 foot tall person better chance to win fight over 6'9 person.

If they are the same weight the taller guy generally has the advantage. Because of reach.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For small girl 100 pounds may not be even possible to get any where like him.

She may have to work on some thing else.

That particular person yes, because not only is he a physical specimen, but he's also a highly trained athlete. That gives him far too many advantages to overcome outside of using bladed weapons or firearms.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I known some people that gone from skinny to borderline bodybuilder in year or two.

Really really really big bodybuilders like Arnold Schwarzenegger or bigger will be really hard to do and need lot of hard work and contentment.

If you are 120 pounds collage guy or girl you could bulk up to say 170 pounds.
Without some pharmaceutical "assistance", I'm skeptical of a 50 pound muscle gain in a year. It might be doable for a few, genetically gifted individuals with excellent nutrition and training support, but I don't think it's doable for most.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without some pharmaceutical "assistance", I'm skeptical of a 50 pound muscle gain in a year. It might be doable for a few, genetically gifted individuals with excellent nutrition and training support, but I don't think it's doable for most.
Even for those who can manage such a feat, it represents a lot of hard work and commitment.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If they are the same weight the taller guy generally has the advantage. Because of reach.

The taller you are the harder it is to bulk up.

Why are the majority of bodybuilders short?
Why are the majority of bodybuilders short? • /r/bodybuilding

WHY Am I Getting Stronger But NOT Bigger?

Getting big does not mean your may stronger.

Bodybuilders use different muscles when working out than powerlifters and powerlifters don't care about looks they care about getting strong.

A Bodybuilders may not be strong in that sense well they will be stronger than skinny person but normally will not be strong like powerlifters.

Bodybuilders is more concern with looks than powerlifters.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How big can a Bodybuilders or powerlifters before it interference with flexibility of martial arts.

I seen some Bodybuilders get so big to the extreme they move like robots.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That particular person yes, because not only is he a physical specimen, but he's also a highly trained athlete. That gives him far too many advantages to overcome outside of using bladed weapons or firearms.

There is chart on the internet base on your age, sex and height what your wight should be. Higher than that you are overweight and lower than that you are skinny.

Than there is chart base on that if you a Bodybuilder what it should be from there.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Out side of drugs and hormones supplements a 100 pound girl 5 feet tall would have hard time getting that big.

And these drugs and hormones supplements may even kill her that she will need.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did I read that Holly's trainers use weights and strength training while Ronda's camp has a "no weight lifting" policy?

About flexibility - some guys who lift these days are embracing yoga. I see lots of it among U.S. Football players these days.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out side of drugs and hormones supplements a 100 pound girl 5 feet tall would have hard time getting that big.

And these drugs and hormones supplements may even kill her that she will need.

Sorry, I misread what you were talking about.

Yeah, there's zero chance of a 5ft 100lb woman ever getting that size. That guy's size is almost entirely due to genetics.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of course being strong will help. I don't think you should make it to where it's the only thing you have going for you though, not if self defense is your primary concern.

In highly generalized terms that can't hope to cover every situation and/or individual variable, my thoughts are this: In order for strength to beat technique, the strong guy's strength advantage must be bigger than the technical guy's technique advantage. In order for technique to beat strength, the technical guy's technique advantage must be bigger than the strong guy's strength advantage.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a very thick dude. 5'9 and 206 pounds. Not tall but I am muscular and kind of chubby, I can throw roundhouse kicks, got fast hands and am pretty at blocking, but when I weight train and bench 270 or whatever. I don't say to myself, "this is going to help me in a street fight." Or even "this is going to improve my martial art".

Weight lifting is separate from martial arts, but the benefits it brings can help you in it; however it is not a foundation for it. As long as a person has a good foundation and understanding of how to apply the core of their martial art into defending themselves/competition, than that is the most important.

I think that the reason you don't see super huge guys often in martial arts is because it is not part of the core fundamentals of any martial art, the core fundamentals are what's practice most because they matter the most.

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On average it takes 8 years for martial arts to be used in self defense. Well some things like boxing or wing chun can be used in year or two in self defense if it does not go to ground.
Most fights do not go to the ground. Yes, it is extremely useful to learn what to do if a fight does go to the ground, but you don't need 8 years to learn legitimate self defense techniques. And, like strength training, it is a progression. It isn't like you suddenly reach a specific point where you are like "okay, now I know self defense" or "okay, now I'm strong." It's about making gains. And if you are interested in strength training for practical strength, focus on that rather than bodybuilding.

And if you are only looking in the short term (not sure why you would), even then I don't think there is any question whether 2 months of boxing lessons or 2 months of weight lifting is going to help you more in a fight.

Last edited:

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
..am curious where is she on a scale of body attractiveness would you say? Are you personally, attracted by built women like this? she is not classical female figure?? every one is different in preferences yes I know.. just polite inquiry (research :D)
Hope you don't mind if I answer as well, but a solid 9 IMO. Most men I know are attracted to athletic women like this, except for the ones who are intimidated by it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it is a progression thing. Whether it is 2 months of boxing or 2 months of karate you will be more well off then if you were to be without the 2 months of boxing or 2 months of karate.

I don't think the weight lifting will help you at all in a fight though. A punch or a kick isn't all that about arm or leg muscle strength. It's more about the physics of how you distribute the force of your feet moving off the ground, thougout your body, and finally into your fist. The strength would really only come into play if you are grappling and even then technique is more important then actual strength. Hip rotation is also very important.

My point is it does help, but the training in the martial arts whether it be boxing or a more asianic style, that would be much more important.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I myself only gained around 30-35 give or take. For 60 that took 2 years.

Latest Discussions