Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3138276782_1_10_H5BAmQGb.jpg

Teddy Riner, 6'8 305 lb Olympic Judo champion.

You combine that size and strength with Judo and wrestling skill, and you have a dangerous combination.
.. a nice start to the day :D thank you!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
..am curious where is she on a scale of body attractiveness would you say? Are you personally, attracted by built women like this? she is not classical female figure?? every one is different in preferences yes I know.. just polite inquiry (research :D)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
..am curious where is she on a scale of body attractiveness would you say? Are you personally, attracted by built women like this? she is not classical female figure?? every one is different in preferences yes I know.. just polite inquiry (research :D)

Mabye an 8 for that girl. I think the actual body builders like in the first videos go to far.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense? Why don't we do all three?

It does not take much discipline and commitment to be big and strong, think of it like a small job you got at the Target store!!

On average it takes 8 years for martial arts to be used in self defense. Well some things like boxing or wing chun can be used in year or two in self defense if it does not go to ground.

Being small or not strong is major disadvantage. Why don't more martial arts school work on getting big?

Most people want to be strong not weak. Even females are getting into it bulking up now.

These girls could probably pick up 300 pound guy off the ground and throw them on the ground hard.

Being big, strong and tough and tall is very advantage in self defense?

Here is tall strong female.

One is Melanie Cruise a wrestler

Well some people say no matter how big you are and tall you are and strong if you get jumped by two or three street thugs you get really hurt bad.

So are you saying people like miesha Tate, holy holm, Roy nelson people like that can't fight?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some advantage of being tall are Longer kicking range/ kick them before they get close to you, pick people up and throw them, attacker trouble punching or kicking your face, you can hold them down or pin them to wall.

For every advantage, there is a disadvantage. Martial arts are typically very capable of picking out the advantages and disadvantages of each body type and allowing others to capitalize on that. Don't think genetics grants superiority in all cases. I like to spar guys with long legs and arms.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So are you saying people like miesha Tate, holy holm, Roy nelson people like that can't fight?

That is the thing these people are really skilled people. More skilled than most black belt martial artist , even lot of martial artist instructors!!

These people train everyday and been doing it when they where teen. If you started today training two or three times a week you never get anywhere close to their level.

If you where teen and did it everyday you may get close to that level by the time you got into your late 20's.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mabye an 8 for that girl. I think the actual body builders like in the first videos go to far.

I think what he said that powerlifters are strong people but bodybuilders may not be strong.

Do you lift to get strong and tough or lift to get big. Or do you try to do both?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Do I find attractiveness big,tall and strong? I think people should try to be big,tall and strong than say small, weak and short.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For every advantage, there is a disadvantage. Martial arts are typically very capable of picking out the advantages and disadvantages of each body type and allowing others to capitalize on that. Don't think genetics grants superiority in all cases. I like to spar guys with long legs and arms.

What advantage does small, weak and short person have over a big,tall and strong person.

Some of these a big,tall and strong pick people up and throw them to ground if their wight was like small kid.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
3138276782_1_10_H5BAmQGb.jpg

Teddy Riner, 6'8 305 lb Olympic Judo champion.

You combine that size and strength with Judo and wrestling skill, and you have a dangerous combination.

For small girl 100 pounds may not be even possible to get any where like him.

She may have to work on some thing else.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think what he said that powerlifters are strong people but bodybuilders may not be strong.

Do you lift to get strong and tough or lift to get big. Or do you try to do both?

I sort of cross fit. To stay a bit fit. I do a sports system and because of weight classes it changes the dynamics.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She is a 10. The biceps are cool. But I take the face into account as well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What advantage does small, weak and short person have over a big,tall and strong person.

It depends very much on what the small, weak, and short person knows and what the big, tall, and strong person doesn't.

I do not mean this in a negative way, but you are showing your lack of understanding of martial arts. Good technique and body mechanics overcome much.

My own style of karate comes from Okinawa. The Okinawans are not large people. The founder of my style was maybe 125 pounds soaking wet. And yet he trained US Marines who were are large as 6 foot 8 tall and weighed 250 or more, most of it muscle. If he could not demonstrate the effectiveness of his technique to them, convince them that he could toss them around like rag dolls, do you suppose they would have trained hard with him after work, night after night, and brought his style back to the USA with them? He obviously had to prove how well his system worked or they'd have refused to train with him.

Big is nice. I'm big. It means very little by itself in martial arts. If you don't already know that, you're not very good at martial arts.

Some of these a big,tall and strong pick people up and throw them to ground if their wight was like small kid.

You think so, but it's not true. We have a young woman in our dojo who most likely weighs about 100 pounds if that. I am pretty sure she can kick most men's butts. And even assuming someone larger got ahold of her and threw her to the ground, she'd be back up in a second, and they'd be tasting their testicles. Trust me on this.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
For small girl 100 pounds may not be even possible to get any where like him.

She may have to work on some thing else.

Yes I agree it may not be possible for a 5'5" 80 lbs girl to get to be 6'8" and 300 lbs

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Roy Nelson is a body builder??? LOL

Yea some of the MMA fighters are overweight. Being overweight is not going to help.

Than there is also thing if bodybuilder becomes too big flexibility becomes a problem.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions