Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense? Why don't we do all three?

It does not take much discipline and commitment to be big and strong, think of it like a small job you got at the Target store!!

On average it takes 8 years for martial arts to be used in self defense. Well some things like boxing or wing chun can be used in year or two in self defense if it does not go to ground.

Being small or not strong is major disadvantage. Why don't more martial arts school work on getting big?

Most people want to be strong not weak. Even females are getting into it bulking up now.

These girls could probably pick up 300 pound guy off the ground and throw them on the ground hard.

Being big, strong and tough and tall is very advantage in self defense?

Here is tall strong female.

One is Melanie Cruise a wrestler

Well some people say no matter how big you are and tall you are and strong if you get jumped by two or three street thugs you get really hurt bad.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are big, tall and strong good for you then you must determine HOW to use those attributes to your advantage for they are not advantageous implicitly on their own.. just because you are tall or strong does not mean you can take all comers!

I am not tall, not strong and not big.. rather than spend half of my life trying to re-engineer my self into some thing I am not designed as, I prefer to spend the time analysing any short comings that arise as a result of my stature and then rectifying those in training as realistically with as many different type of fighter as possible, shape, size, age, and art.

If you are big and tall and strong you may also have blind spots or short comings!! Do not fool your self into imagining just because of your physical attributes you are invincible. Assess your self realistically, be true about your own weaknesses, admit your fallibility and train out those fail points.. Then and ONLY then can you sit back rest on your laurels etc..

I do not believe size, skill, age count for any thing unless you have trained your self to utilise those attributes and smoothed out the rough edges of your weaknesses.. every body has them!

Jx

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Geoff Thompson refers to body-building as a sugar pedestal (or to put it another way, a false sense of security) because being big doesn't mean you know how to handle yourself. Being big can also attract exactly the attention you are trying to avoid, from people looking to earn brownie points for taking down someone big.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me I just could not be bothered to be in a gym lifting weights. It just bored me to tears. If I was bigger I probably would have been a better fighter.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strength is good. Make no mistake about that.

However, there is a problem when strength is used in lieu of technique. It may work as a replacement for good technique in some small ways, but ultimately, to become a good martial artist, you must learn good technique. If you can do that and be strong, that's great. Just don't let strength lead the way towards your training; technique should rule.

Even small martial artists with good technique have no problem defending themselves against large strong people. This was proven quite effectively after the end of WWII in Okinawa, when the American servicemen took possession of the island and began training with local Okinawan karate masters. If the Okinawan karateka, typically much smaller and lighter than your average Americans, could not have demonstrated their superior fighting skills to the Americans, no one would have wanted to train with them. Why train with someone who cannot kick your butt?

All kinds of physical training can be helpful. Flexibility training, strength training, cardiovascular training, all good. But technique is best. If you can have them all, then so much the better.

SAConner

White Belt
Reaction score
Many martial arts a designed for smaller people taking on lager opponents, in which case those who practice them would normally have an advantage against bigger and stronger people.One of the main reasons we have so much diversity in martial arts today is because no matter what you study you only need to keep what works for you. For instance a technique that works well for a larger and stronger person may not be as effective for a smaller person and vice versa. Focusing on getting bigger may be the best option for you but there are many artists out there it would never work for.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its a sliding scale right? height/.Size/strength (and I suppose age) to skill. I trained last night with a girl, probably 15 who was 5 foot tall and weighed maybe 80lbs. There is no way should could do any damage to me - other than an eye poke. I could have grabbed her by the ankle and swung her around my head. ;) On the hand I have instructors with 20 + years of training - that while I outweigh by 90 lbs - could with a little effort really destroy me... their speed, accuracy, and power is amazing. I might also say - that while being big strong is nice - I am slow compared to many other class mates.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Strength is good. Having a strength training routine is useful for any martial artist.
2) Body building is a sport devoted towards developing a certain aesthetic look. There are other forms of training that are more geared towards developing functional strength. (Not to say that body builders aren't strong, but I'll take a power-lifter or a strong-man competitor over a body builder any day.)
3) Contrary to what you say, developing a high-degree of strength does require discipline, commitment, and hard work. Some folks start out with a genetic advantage, but even those folks will have to work hard to reach their potential.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can only be so tall.
Being strong is good, being strong and fit is even better.

Being big don't amount to a hill o' beans.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It does not take much discipline and commitment to be big and strong, think of it like a small job you got at the Target store!!
That is an incorrect statement. You should try a serious body building routine for a few months, then come back and tell us how much discipline and commitment it doesn't take.
Why do you continually write your opinions on things in which you have absolutely no basis for those opinions? Seems to me that you should actually do something before putting down your opinion on it so it doesn't sound like you're quite so clueless.

Just my opinion, but at least I have some basis for it. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he just likes looking at female bodybuilders. Hence, the video links.
images

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Its a sliding scale right? height/.Size/strength (and I suppose age) to skill. I trained last night with a girl, probably 15 who was 5 foot tall and weighed maybe 80lbs. There is no way should could do any damage to me - other than an eye poke. I could have grabbed her by the ankle and swung her around my head. ;) On the hand I have instructors with 20 + years of training - that while I outweigh by 90 lbs - could with a little effort really destroy me... their speed, accuracy, and power is amazing. I might also say - that while being big strong is nice - I am slow compared to many other class mates.

She probably should work on bulking up if she wants to defend her herself.

Last edited:
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is an incorrect statement. You should try a serious body building routine for a few months, then come back and tell us how much discipline and commitment it doesn't take.
Why do you continually write your opinions on things in which you have absolutely no basis for those opinions? Seems to me that you should actually do something before putting down your opinion on it so it doesn't sound like you're quite so clueless.

Just my opinion, but at least I have some basis for it. :)

I known some people that gone from skinny to borderline bodybuilder in year or two.

Really really really big bodybuilders like Arnold Schwarzenegger or bigger will be really hard to do and need lot of hard work and contentment.

If you are 120 pounds collage guy or girl you could bulk up to say 170 pounds.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can only be so tall.
Being strong is good, being strong and fit is even better.

Being big don't amount to a hill o' beans.

Some advantage of being tall are Longer kicking range/ kick them before they get close to you, pick people up and throw them, attacker trouble punching or kicking your face, you can hold them down or pin them to wall.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Geoff Thompson refers to body-building as a sugar pedestal (or to put it another way, a false sense of security) because being big doesn't mean you know how to handle yourself. Being big can also attract exactly the attention you are trying to avoid, from people looking to earn brownie points for taking down someone big.

I think what Geoff Thompson was trying to get at is it don't matter if you are 100 pounds or 300 pound really big monster!!! A kick to a face or head is bad. No amount of bodybuilding is going to help with a punch or kick to the face. Same thing with strikes to knees or genitals. Your body does not really bulk up in those areas.

The extra fat and body muscle where go yo your chest and abdomen give you more body armor in those areas.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3138276782_1_10_H5BAmQGb.jpg

Teddy Riner, 6'8 305 lb Olympic Judo champion.

You combine that size and strength with Judo and wrestling skill, and you have a dangerous combination.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what Geoff Thompson was trying to get at is it don't matter if you are 100 pounds or 300 pound really big monster!!! A kick to a face or head is bad. No amount of bodybuilding is going to help with a punch or kick to the face. Same thing with strikes to knees or genitals. Your body does not really bulk up in those areas.

The extra fat and body muscle where go yo your chest and abdomen give you more body armor in those areas.
No, he is referring to a false sense of security/ability. If you read watch my back he uses it to refer to himself, thinking he was prepared for violence when he actually wasn't;_

Anyway, there I was, sixteen, left aikido and by now a purple belt in Shotokan karate, standing on a "Sugar Pedestal", not realising that when the rain came down it would crumble below.

He is referring, with body-building, again to the false sense of security of begin big. "I'm the biggest so I'll win.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being a bodybuilder or big tall and strong really good thing to help out in self defense? Why don't we do all three?

On average it takes 8 years for martial arts to be used in self defense. Well some things like boxing or wing chun can be used in year or two in self defense if it does not go to ground.

Being small or not strong is major disadvantage. Why don't more martial arts school work on getting big?

Most people want to be strong not weak. Even females are getting into it bulking up now.

These girls could probably pick up 300 pound guy off the ground and throw them on the ground hard.

Being big, strong and tough and tall is very advantage in self defense?

Here is tall strong female.

One is Melanie Cruise a wrestler

Well some people say no matter how big you are and tall you are and strong if you get jumped by two or three street thugs you get really hurt bad.
Rubbish being strong isn't helpful at all. How many mma fighters who are hugely muscled end up getting exhausted 2 minutes into a fight. Being big and muscled is overrated

Latest Discussions