Battle of the martial arts YouTubers (Ultimate Self Defense Championship) Episode 3,

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with toughness or not. It's the attitude whether one has the courage to stand on the ground and fight for what he believes is right or not.
Lmao, ok hope you’re real proud of all that courage and bravado when you’re in the hospital or dead.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
According to the John at ASP there’s an 18% chance of injury if you fight back against a mugger, and a 25% chance of injury if you comply based on what he’s seen watching thousands of videos of self defense situations

11:08 about where the relevant portion starts

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
According to the John at ASP there’s an 18% chance of injury if you fight back against a mugger, and a 25% chance of injury if you comply based on what he’s seen watching thousands of videos of self defense situations

Some interesting stats and perspectives there - thanks

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh geez go figure someone on the internet doesn’t understand nuance.

Did I say if you get to a public place you’re 100% guaranteed to be safe? No. People committing crimes often don’t want witnesses, so people committing crimes often won’t follow a victim into a business with not only witnesses, but cameras.
As for running, I myself have been the safe zone at work having had multiple people on separate occasions run to me looking for safety because they were being followed, and go figure the person following stopped and went away 100% of the time.

As for improvised weapons, maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the weapon is, but considering the goal of the drill/game/scenario was not to focus on getting weapons to fight back, and that each group was out numbered 2:1 an improvised weapon against 2-3 armed attackers is probably a much worse outcome than trying to out run them.

As for running, I agree, running isn’t the end all be all of self defense. Sometimes it’s your job not to run. Sometimes you have children or elders who can’t keep up, sometimes you’re just slower, or don’t have the cardio to escape. Just like I’ve posted compliance doesn’t guarantee that you’ll get away safely, neither does running.

I’m sick of people who really have no actual experience with self defense trying to talk like they’re experts.
Oh geez go figure someone on the internet doesn’t understand nuance.

Did I say if you get to a public place you’re 100% guaranteed to be safe? No. People committing crimes often don’t want witnesses, so people committing crimes often won’t follow a victim into a business with not only witnesses, but cameras.
As for running, I myself have been the safe zone at work having had multiple people on separate occasions run to me looking for safety because they were being followed, and go figure the person following stopped and went away 100% of the time.

As for improvised weapons, maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the weapon is, but considering the goal of the drill/game/scenario was not to focus on getting weapons to fight back, and that each group was out numbered 2:1 an improvised weapon against 2-3 armed attackers is probably a much worse outcome than trying to out run them.

As for running, I agree, running isn’t the end all be all of self defense. Sometimes it’s your job not to run. Sometimes you have children or elders who can’t keep up, sometimes you’re just slower, or don’t have the cardio to escape. Just like I’ve posted compliance doesn’t guarantee that you’ll get away safely, neither does running.

I’m sick of people who really have no actual experience with self defense trying to talk like they’re experts.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

What about the percentages when you're up against a zombie (% chance of injury if you fight back against the zombie, and % chance of injury if you comply with the zombie's demands).

I wanna sound smart in the Ep.4. zombie thread...