Punch/kick combo

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have created a punch combo and a kick combo. It's the toolbox approach that record tools used in both the punch toolbox and kick toolbox. I haven't created videos for these yet. When I create video, I'll share it here.

The purpose of this is you only spend a small amount of training time; you can polish all your punch tools and kick tools. You can treat it as short forms (or combo drills). It has combo design in mind that move 1 set up move 2, move 2 set up ....

I would like to get people comment on this.

Both start from the right side forward. After the combo, switch to the other side. The footwork and stance can be modified according to your need.

Punch combo:

1. Right hook punch.
2. Right back fist.
3. Left uppercut.
4. Right overhand.
5. Right block/grab/pull.
6. Left jab.
7. Right cross.

Kick combo:

1. Left front toes kick.
2. Right front heel kick.
3. Left inside crescent kick.
4. Right outside crescent kick.
5. Left roundhouse kick
6. Right turn side kick.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I try not to think of memorized combos. In fact, I'm trying to move away from that from the way I was taught, for a few reasons:
  • Memorized combos tend to take over the training and you lose everything else
  • You should have combo trees instead of combo lines (which I think is something you discussed in previous threads)
  • Quite often folks would focus more on memorizing the combos than on performing them well...myself included
Instead, I like to look at things from a conceptual level. I think beginners should focus more on rote material, and advanced practitioners like ourselves should focus more on concepts and how to apply them dynamically. My concepts for combinations is that you have five different combinations.
  1. Repeating, such as a jab-jab-jab; or right body hook, right uppercut, right hook.
  2. Oscillating, such as jab-cross-jab-cross; or right hook, left uppercut.
  3. Flowing, such as right hook, right backfist.
  4. Spinning, such as right hook, left spinning elbow; or left roundhouse kick, right back kick.
  5. Simultaneous, such as a C-punch.
Your punches and kicks are separate, which means you're not practicing punching and kicking together (with those combos). For example, in Taekwondo I would do right hook punch, left back kick. In Muay Thai, we would do right hook, left roundhouse kick. This is a spinning combo in which the momentum is set by the first technique, and then an oscillating combo in which the recoil of the first helps set up the second.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try not to think of memorized combos.
I agree that to use move 1 to set up move 2 is not the main concern here.

By using the toolbox approach, I only need to include a set of tools in the toolbox. The order of the tools in that toolbox is not important.

If I have 6 tools in my toolbox, whether I may link it as abcdef, fedcba, acbdfe, fdecab, ... It won't make much difference.

But I still can't link in any random order that won't make sense. For example, a left inside crescent kick, right roundhouse kick combo won't make any sense.

combo such as:

- left inside crescent kick, right outside crescent kick,
- left roundhouse kick, right turn side kick,

make sense because your body spin into the same direction.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your punches and kicks are separate,
I have also considered to make one striking toolbox and put both kick tools and punch tools in it. It may start to get complicate.

If I also add tools for:

- knee,
- elbow,
- block,
- lock,
- throw,
- footwork,
- strategy,

it will get even more complicate. IMO, to have multiple toolboxes is better than to have just 1 toolbox.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have created a punch combo and a kick combo. It's the toolbox approach that record tools used in both the punch toolbox and kick toolbox. I haven't created videos for these yet. When I create video, I'll share it here.

The purpose of this is you only spend a small amount of training time; you can polish all your punch tools and kick tools. You can treat it as short forms (or combo drills). It has combo design in mind that move 1 set up move 2, move 2 set up ....

I would like to get people comment on this.

Both start from the right side forward. After the combo, switch to the other side. The footwork and stance can be modified according to your need.

Punch combo:

1. Right hook punch.
2. Right back fist.
3. Left uppercut.
4. Right overhand.
5. Right block/grab/pull.
6. Left jab.
7. Right cross.

Kick combo:

1. Left front toes kick.
2. Right front heel kick.
3. Left inside crescent kick.
4. Right outside crescent kick.
5. Left roundhouse kick
6. Right turn side kick.
I have some similar looping combos for training beginners to move footwork patterns while continuing to punch. One is a ten count.
1. Right uppercut
2.Left roundhouse
3.Left back knuckle roundhouse
4.Right overhead
5.Right hanging punch
6.Left uppercut
7.Right roundhouse
8.Right back knuckle roundhouse
9.Left overhead
10.Left hanging punch
I have them doing crossovers and twist steps at 45 degrees off center.
Sometimes in winter my teacher would blindfold us and turn off all lights in gym while did these. This is just one example of a combo as a useful coordination exercise. I don’t consider this a “technique” for fighting, but it is useful for training. Oh, and usually the students have fun doing it. In case anybody is into having fun while training to kill the ninjas lurking in the parking lot.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have also considered to make one striking toolbox and put both kick tools and punch tools in it. It may start to get complicate.

If I also add tools for:

- knee,
- elbow,
- block,
- lock,
- throw,
- footwork,
- strategy,

it will get even more complicate. IMO, to have multiple toolboxes is better than to have just 1 toolbox.
I may combine tool boxes for an exercise. I want to be able to change and connect any piece or tool to any other piece or tool I have in an improvisational manner. Like a jazz musician. I hate jazz but I love the concept.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try not to think of memorized combos. In fact, I'm trying to move away from that from the way I was taught, for a few reasons:
  • You should have combo trees instead of combo lines (which I think is something you discussed in previous threads)
  • Quite often folks would focus more on memorizing the combos than on performing them well...myself included
Instead, I like to look at things from a conceptual level. I think beginners should focus more on rote material, and advanced practitioners like ourselves should focus more on concepts and how to apply them dynamically. My concepts for combinations is that you have five different combinations.
  1. Repeating, such as a jab-jab-jab; or right body hook, right uppercut, right hook.
  2. Oscillating, such as jab-cross-jab-cross; or right hook, left uppercut.
  3. Flowing, such as right hook, right backfist.
  4. Spinning, such as right hook, left spinning elbow; or left roundhouse kick, right back kick.
  5. Simultaneous, such as a C-punch.
Your punches and kicks are separate, which means you're not practicing punching and kicking together (with those combos). For example, in Taekwondo I would do right hook punch, left back kick. In Muay Thai, we would do right hook, left roundhouse kick. This is a spinning combo in which the momentum is set by the first technique, and then an oscillating combo in which the recoil of the first helps set up the second.
Just curious on nomenclature, what is a c punch? Lots of names for each tool.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You disagree with my respond. Not sure which part that you disagree with. Could you give some detail?

Some combos have logic connection. Here is one example. A attacks B's leading right leg. B steps back. A then attacks B's left leg.

If one doesn't train this combo, when the opportunity arrives, he may not be able to catch t.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No matter how many times that you may have trained your form, The form is still not yours. You really want to create some form (or drill) that you enjoy of doing it.

I just finished my 1 and 1/2 hours training today. I have changed my punching drill. I feel it flows much smoothly.

1. Right hook punch.
2. Right back fist.
3. Left overhand.
4. Left horizontal hammer fist,
5. Right uppercut.
6. Left jab.
7. Right cross.

What do you think about this changing?

Latest Discussions