Ata?

OP
M

Mark70Z

Let me know which church and we'll try and come by and watch (and the time). I guess we'll be able to see how much they have learned through the belt levels. Do they have any type of demo's at the testing, or is it all about the test? I guess I'd like to see what the quality of the BB's are...

Also, one more question. Do you happen to know anyone in NE Florida that teaches or has a school for grappling/jiu jitsu, or some other simular ground fighting MA? At some point in time I'd like to have my son at least learn the basics of ground fighting. Like I said before, he started in Taekwondo, and is in Shorin Ryu now, but neither really teach him much about a fight once it goes to the ground.

OP
G

Galvatron

There's a place out at the beach on mayport road that teaches Judo, and I THINK they also teach Jui-Jitsu. I think the name of the school is "Gentle Way" or something like that. I couldn't give you any input on how the school is though, as I've never been there or met anyone from there. I've heard second-hand that it's a good school.
There's a Taekwondo school in Orange Park called "The Mudo College of Taekwondo" where they also teach Hapkido. I know that HKD isn't typically thought of as a "ground fighting" style, but he teaches a lot of close range combat type stuff. In the classes I've taken there, he's done a good bit of stuff on how to deal with getting pinned down, ending up on the ground, etc. The head instructor's name is Master Ron Berry, and he's a Kukkiwon-6th Dan.
I live in the Ft Caroline area of town and still make it a point to try to get out there once or twice a month.

OP
M

Mark70Z

I see the Gentle Way of Judo listed within the Yellow Pages, but I don't see The Mudo College of Taekwondo. I guess they're not listed; can you give me the location of the school? Thanks for all the help!

When my son first started at the ATA his first instructor was from Argentina. He was a great guy and a fine MAist. He had his BB in BJJ, and his third degree in Taekwondo (I think the ATA just gave him the BB when he came to the US, but don't quote me on that since I may be mistaken). The school just started and he was teaching the class ground fighting along with Taekwondo. My son really enjoyed the classes with him instructing. A few years later due to family issues he had to move back to Argentina. I'm sure we would still be there if he was instructing.

OP
G

Galvatron

Mudo College is near the intersection of Kingsley Ave and Blanding Blvd in Orange Park.
The Phone Number is 276-4756
Master Berry doesn't advertize his school at all, he gets most of his business from word of mouth referral.

OP
M

Mark70Z

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out...

Latest Discussions