Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know 인내 and 극기 are correct. Not sure about integrity. I can pronounce it but not spell it lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're the native Korean speaker, but this doesn't sound right to me. When I pronounce the word "lada" there's a tension and a harder exhale on the "d" than the Korean 라라 (almost like you build pressure and release it). And it's not just my pronunciation of 라라 either (which as a non-native Korean speaker may well be incorrect), I was in a Taekwondo shop on Tuesday and had them print one of my students' name 크라라 on to a dobok and different workers read it out loud to me multiple times to ensure it was correct (the guy at the till once, the lady who printed the vinyl and another guy who affixed it to the dobok) and the last two syllables didn't sound like "lada" then, otherwise I'd have questioned whether it was right.

Different accents as we have in the UK? My husband is from Yorkshire, I'm from London and we pronounce most words differently, I do it correctly though lol.

and we won't go into how Americans pronounce so many things differently, sometimes I'd think we are talking about very different things!

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
(Before you ask, check my profile)
I posted this on the culture section earlier, but nobody goes there, ever. I have been going around correcting things in Korean language discussions, and turns out, people appreciate them thanks to the sheer number of people who do taekwondo on the forum. Yeah... So ask me stuff about the Korean language including taekwondo vocab. Thanks.

I'm so glad you asked! I trained in a Korean Zen martial art called shim gum do - the creator calls the empty-hand forms 'shin boep' - meaning body law or dharma. (www.shimgumdo.org) I believe the second word should be spelled 'beop' not 'boep' - Jinho Lee also confirms my belief that 'beop' is the correct spelling for law or way. Thanks for being there!

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
(Before you ask, check my profile)
I posted this on the culture section earlier, but nobody goes there, ever. I have been going around correcting things in Korean language discussions, and turns out, people appreciate them thanks to the sheer number of people who do taekwondo on the forum. Yeah... So ask me stuff about the Korean language including taekwondo vocab. Thanks.

In the buddhist temple where I trained - www.shimgumdo.org, they refer to the creator's empty-hand forms with the term - SHIN BOEP - meaning body dharma / law. I believe the second word is incorrect and the correct term should be SHIN BEOP - author Jinho Lee (Key to Internal Arts Book) appears to agree that is beop - can you confirm? Thanks!

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...and we won't go into how Americans pronounce so many things differently, sometimes I'd think we are talking about very different things!

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays...except of course language." - Oscar Wilde :)

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the buddhist temple where I trained - www.shimgumdo.org, they refer to the creator's empty-hand forms with the term - SHIN BOEP - meaning body dharma / law. I believe the second word is incorrect and the correct term should be SHIN BEOP - author Jinho Lee (Key to Internal Arts Book) appears to agree that is beop - can you confirm? Thanks!
It does mean "body way."

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Different accents as we have in the UK? My husband is from Yorkshire, I'm from London and we pronounce most words differently, I do it correctly though lol.

and we won't go into how Americans pronounce so many things differently, sometimes I'd think we are talking about very different things!
Korean accents and dialects don't work like that. The variation occurs exclusively in intonation and volcabulary, not pronounciation. Think German dialects: Bayerisch is way different from standard German, but still have the same pronounciation for phoenic features.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick copy - paste from other thread.......

Is this the correct Korean. I'm think of getting it tattooed but thought I better check before I find out it actually says...
Shoe
Table
Water
Onion
Face Paint

Never trust anything on the internet. Within reason.....
It's real archaic Korean, but it's right. I guarantee it will look cooler (if not more pretentious) in Chinese characters, but that's up to you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so glad you asked! I trained in a Korean Zen martial art called shim gum do - the creator calls the empty-hand forms 'shin boep' - meaning body law or dharma. (www.shimgumdo.org) I believe the second word should be spelled 'beop' not 'boep' - Jinho Lee also confirms my belief that 'beop' is the correct spelling for law or way. Thanks for being there!

Welcome to MartialTalk, Ben. :)

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would I have it in Chinese? Genuine question.

You know how in English when people want a tattoo to look fancy, they'll do the tattoo in like a gothic font? In English, fonts like gothic fonts looks serious and weighty -- like they're carrying the weight of history with them. People generally don't do tattoos in fonts that look clean and modern (generally).

That's like hanja (Chinese characters) in Korea. Hanja (Korea's older, Chinese-based writing system) is for when you want something to look serious and weighty. Hangul is for when you want something to look modern, clean, and easily readable. That having been said, most western eyes probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway -- so I'd go for whichever one you thinks looks coolest.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Korean accents and dialects don't work like that. The variation occurs exclusively in intonation and volcabulary, not pronounciation. Think German dialects: Bayerisch is way different from standard German, but still have the same pronounciation for phoenic features.
Bavarian differs from High German in vocabulary, intonation and phonetic characteristics too.

My experiences in Korea travelling with Koreans would indicate that people from different areas of Korea can have problems understanding each other...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bavarian differs from High German in vocabulary, intonation and phonetic characteristics too.

When we lived in Germany we were up Kleve (North Rhine-Westphalia) way and noticed that when we went to the south of Germany actual words were different but we also noticed that in France, northern French is quite different from Provencal French, though the fact they do have their own language like the Bretons may have a lot to do with that.

Latest Discussions