Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread's recieved some bumping.

The spelling is ์•ˆ๋…•ํ•˜์„ธ์š” (an-nyoung-ha-se-yo, directly translates to "you good/alive?")
As for pronounciation, yeah it is just dropping syllables in normal speech. Kinda like some non-BBC british accent : "tha' wad the bes' e'a drin' I ha' in years."
Thanks!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tha' wad the bes' e'a drin' I ha' in years."

That looks like a Scottish accent when I read it, but that's still a good example. In an informal accent, the Scottish seem to ignore the existence of many of the consonants and more than a few syllables.

That sounds like someone who's pished.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Or if you want to be more formal, ์•ˆ๋…•ํ•˜์‹ญ๋‹ˆ๊นŒ (anyoung hashimneeka). That's the most formal way to say hello. It's what we use in our dojang

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Or if you want to be more formal, ์•ˆ๋…•ํ•˜์‹ญ๋‹ˆ๊นŒ (anyoung hashimneeka). That's the most formal way to say hello. It's what we use in our dojang
I'll have to ask a Korean student about that to hear the pronunciation. Thanks.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, you think it is, but it's not. I'll have tonask my grandparents for the ultra-tier formal greetings. One of the most formal thanks are "์„ฑ์€ํžˆ ๋ง๊ทนํ•˜์˜ต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค." Greetings also exist on that level.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, the most formal way I know then, haha. I'm assuming anything more formal than the deferential level is really old?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, the most formal way I know then, haha. I'm assuming anything more formal than the deferential level is really old?

I have this horrible idea that Kang Tsai's grandparents are younger than me and his idea of old is going to be 20 years with really old being something that was used 30 years ago! :)

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have this horrible idea that Kang Tsai's grandparents are younger than me and his idea of old is going to be 20 years with really old being something that was used 30 years ago! :)
It's technically pre-japan vocabulary and such.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's technically pre-japan vocabulary and such.

and there was me thinking you were going to make me feel even older than I am lol. That sounds very interesting, I can imagine that is quite an emotive subject for older people? I know the Japan/Korea relationship isn't a happy one. While I think about it, is it true, I read this once, that Korea was actually spelt 'Corea' originally but the Japanese changed it so that Japan would come first in any alphabetical list of countries? One never knows with those sort of stories.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
and there was me thinking you were going to make me feel even older than I am lol. That sounds very interesting, I can imagine that is quite an emotive subject for older people? I know the Japan/Korea relationship isn't a happy one. While I think about it, is it true, I read this once, that Korea was actually spelt 'Corea' originally but the Japanese changed it so that Japan would come first in any alphabetical list of countries? One never knows with those sort of stories.
By this point, the only historical tension with Japan and its former occupied territories is that Japan has never formerly apologised for any of it. E.G. comfort women protestors in China and Koreaโ€” they protest for Japan to recognise that the whole comfort women thing happened, which Japan ignores.
The Corea to Korea thing is a little ambiguous.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By this point, the only historical tension with Japan and its former occupied territories is that Japan has never formerly apologised for any of it. E.G. comfort women protestors in China and Koreaโ€” they protest for Japan to recognise that the whole comfort women thing happened, which Japan ignores.
The Corea to Korea thing is a little ambiguous.

We have the same thing with the former prisoners of war, many of whom are still alive, it wasn't just soldiers who were taken prisoners but women and children as well.
If any of you have ever watched the popular films about the St Trinian's school, have a look for the original artwork which created those schoolgirls, it was born in a Japanese prisoner of war camp by a British soldier attempting to amuse others and distract from the horrors of being there. He also drew many pictures though depicting life in the camps and on the infamous Burma Railway which he helped build. ( depicted in the film Bridge on the River Kwai) he wrote several books about his experiences.
Something that as a Guide leader I am humbled by. The secrets of the Changi Girl Guide quilt

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have the same thing with the former prisoners of war, many of whom are still alive, it wasn't just soldiers who were taken prisoners but women and children as well.
If any of you have ever watched the popular films about the St Trinian's school, have a look for the original artwork which created those schoolgirls, it was born in a Japanese prisoner of war camp by a British soldier attempting to amuse others and distract from the horrors of being there. He also drew many pictures though depicting life in the camps and on the infamous Burma Railway which he helped build. ( depicted in the film Bridge on the River Kwai) he wrote several books about his experiences.
Something that as a Guide leader I am humbled by. The secrets of the Changi Girl Guide quilt
Oh, comfort women were a whole different type of prisoner.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, comfort women were a whole different type of prisoner.

I know, British military nurses were sent to Japan and other places to be 'comfort women' as were women in any country the Japanese invaded.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's pronounced 'geehupp,' first of all. 'Gi/๊ธฐ' means will or energy. 'Hap/ํ•ฉ' means to add or combine.
Thanks! Funny, I always hear "key up". It's "gee" like the letter g? And no "y" sound, but an "h" sound?

Latest Discussions