Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chagi means kicking and Busigi means breaking.

As a Korean learner, can you please explain the last one. As I understand it, it's the stem of the verb Busuda (부수다, to break) plus the gerund ending -gi (기). So why isn't it Busugi (부수기), why does it change to (I assume) 부시기?

Thanks.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a Korean learner, can you please explain the last one. As I understand it, it's the stem of the verb Busuda (부수다, to break) plus the gerund ending -gi (기). So why isn't it Busugi (부수기), why does it change to (I assume) 부시기?

Thanks.
It doesn't have to. It just isn't incorrect to say it like that.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Taekwondo there is one (and sometimes two and three) step sparring, like this:

While in Kukkiwon Taekwondo calls it:

hanbeon (and if there would be two and three step sparring: dubeon & seboen) kyeorugi
한번 (두번 & 세번) 켜루기

There are also:

ilbo (ibo and sambo) taeryeon in early ITF
and
ilbo (ibo and sambo) matsogi in today's ITF

How would you write those in hangeul?
Since 일, 이 and 삼 are used I guess the words taeryeon and matsogi (don't know if those are the correct romanizations since I don't know how they're written in hangeul) are sino-korean, correct?

Is there any difference in the meanings of kyeorugi, taeryeon and matsogi?

Thanx!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does "koro" mean something in Korean? In this video (in French), the coach is talking about a "koro cut" kick. Please see at 1:29 for the word on the screen. Thanks.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does "koro" mean something in Korean? In this video (in French), the coach is talking about a "koro cut" kick. Please see at 1:29 for the word on the screen. Thanks.

My understanding is it means 'stop' as in Bruce Lee's 'stop hit'. A pre-emptive movement that jams the opponent's movement before it begins, and functions as an attack of it's own. A cut kick is an example. Blocking a telegraphed hook punch by wedging in between arm and neck, attacking the bicep and carotid would be an example of a "Goro Makki" kind of technique.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is bandai something in Korean?

This is the name for body kick (to the ribs) in my current club. And I read somewhere it (or bandae) could come from Korean. What can you tell about it? Thanks.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

My understanding is it means 'stop' as in Bruce Lee's 'stop hit'. A pre-emptive movement that jams the opponent's movement before it begins, and functions as an attack of it's own. A cut kick is an example. Blocking a telegraphed hook punch by wedging in between arm and neck, attacking the bicep and carotid would be an example of a "Goro Makki" kind of technique.

I struggled to find what those romanisations mean at first, because they are awful at Korean phoenic representation.

"Koro" is a terrible romanisation to use for what is apparently '걸어.' It can be interpreted as 코로, 콜로, 고로, 골로, 거러, 걸러, 걸어, 커러, 컬러 and 컬러. More accurately it would be 'geor-eo.'

In this context it means to hook or hang.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It means to hook ; hang ; walk. Please avoid posting definitions that you guess - the point of this thread is to stay accurate, thanks.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It means to hook ; hang ; walk. Please avoid posting definitions that you guess - the point of this thread is to stay accurate, thanks.
I didn't guess. My understanding of Georeo comes from Master Jeong In Cheol's video 'Introduction to Makki'. In the context of Taekwondo techniques, it means a pre-emptive motion to prevent.

I have contact with many Koreans in my Taekwondo life, and in my experience the definitions of words in Taekwondo terminology and their definitions in everyday Korean are they are NOT the same. We often get questions about terminology from Korean parents.

Georeo makki is the last level of makki. See 2:03

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Perhaps it's because these techniques involve going to the opponent. Perhaps it's because they hang the opponent's technique....?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't guess. My understanding of Georeo comes from Master Jeong In Cheol's video 'Introduction to Makki'. In the context of Taekwondo techniques, it means a pre-emptive motion to prevent.

Master Jeong is a very close friend of mine and I speak to him most days (and am visiting him again in March). I've just been talking with him about this thread. He had the following to say:

"Georeo is romanised as 걸어, this means locking something. Yes almost same to Bruce lee's Stop hit. 걸다 , 걸어 - Lock= 걸다 , by locking = 걸어"

Gnarlie, you'd understood it correctly.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Jeong is a very close friend of mine and I speak to him most days (and am visiting him again in March). I've just been talking with him about this thread. He had the following to say:

"Georeo is romanised as 걸어, this means locking something. Yes almost same to Bruce lee's Stop hit. 걸다 , 걸어 - Lock= 걸다 , by locking = 걸어"

Gnarlie, you'd understood it correctly.
Thank you Andy, that is very helpful of you.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Within the context of taekwondo, what is the Korean equivalent to the English word "chamber"? As in, to chamber for a block.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there any relationship between 3rd pattern and soybean paste. I see both are samjang lol.

upload_2017-2-20_21-2-55.png

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
준비동작 Junbi dongjak. Ready / prepare technique.

Thank you sir! Coincidentally, I was just told earlier today that while many of us use the word "chamber" in English, in Korean there's more variety in what term might be used? So I was told that 준비동작 junbi dongjak (ready for technique) might be used, or also 예비동작 yebi dongjak (prepare for technique).

(One of my fellow American instructors is going to be teaching in Korea for 6 weeks this summer, and she and I are trying to learn enough Korean to be able to teach a class -- her because she has to, me just for the fun of it.) Thank you again sir!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there any relationship between 3rd pattern and soybean paste. I see both are samjang lol.

Hahaha, you know they're different Korean spellings though, right?

쌈장 soybean paste
태극 삼장 Taegeuk 3

On a almost unrelated note, I've never had 쌈장, what is it like? Spicy like 고추장 (gochujang, red pepper paste) or dark and not spicy like 된장 (doenjang, another soybean paste), or maybe a mixture of the two?

Latest Discussions