Ask Me Anything Korean Language Related

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gee as in gear or gi. Saying hap as yap is just a normal speech thing, as you don't pause between characters or something like that.
Is "yap" in the term for yell related to the term for side kick - yap chugi?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a purely academic question, Kang Tsai. I don't study any KMA, but I've been following this thread because I'm a language nerd at heart. I see that the Korean characters you provide here appear to be more segmented (visible separate parts) than Japanese kanji. Does each character have a meaning (like Japanese kanji), or are you using the equivalent of hiragana (syllabary for Japanese)? Does Korean writing have both types of writing, as Japanese does?

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a purely academic question, Kang Tsai. I don't study any KMA, but I've been following this thread because I'm a language nerd at heart. I see that the Korean characters you provide here appear to be more segmented (visible separate parts) than Japanese kanji. Does each character have a meaning (like Japanese kanji), or are you using the equivalent of hiragana (syllabary for Japanese)? Does Korean writing have both types of writing, as Japanese does?
There is both. Chinese characters are learned and noted next to their Korean and Sino-Korean words, like 불 화 火, respectively.
The Sino-Korean, identical to kan'on in Japanese, is usually used in compound words, like Latin or Greek in English.
Note that Korean, grammatically, is identical to Japanese.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...I see that the Korean characters you provide here appear to be more segmented (visible separate parts) than Japanese kanji. Does each character have a meaning (like Japanese kanji), or are you using the equivalent of hiragana (syllabary for Japanese)? Does Korean writing have both types of writing, as Japanese does?

FYI, here's a terrific quick intro to Hangul.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is both. Chinese characters are learned and noted next to their Korean and Sino-Korean words, like 불 화 火, respectively.
The Sino-Korean, identical to kan'on in Japanese, is usually used in compound words, like Latin or Greek in English.
Note that Korean, grammatically, is identical to Japanese.
Thanks, that's a lot of information in just 4 sentences!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks! Funny, I always hear "key up". It's "gee" like the letter g? And no "y" sound, but an "h" sound?

A lot of people hear it that way, which leads some people to refer to yelling for energy as "keying up". :D

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On another note.

Is it "Annyong'Haseo kwang chang nim?"

Or more along the lines of "Annyonghaseo kwang chang nim?"

He spells thinks like makgi as makki.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay.. I got 3 questions. What are these terms in Korean.

- what does "forms" translate as?

- what does "reverse punch translate as?
- whats the term for head instructor and its korean translation?

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay.. I got 3 questions. What are these terms in Korean.

- what does "forms" translate as?

- what does "reverse punch translate as?
- whats the term for head instructor and its korean translation?

Those can easily be answered without asking someone who speaks Korean.

Forms:
형 hyeong (in Kukkiwon taekwondo everybody would use 품새 poomsae)

Reverse punch:
반대 지르기 bandae jirugi (note that in Kukkiwon taekwondo this is on the side of the front leg while it's on the side of the rear leg in ITF or 'traditional' Taekwondo.

Head instructor
관장 kwanjang (owner/head of the school)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forms:
형 hyeong (in Kukkiwon taekwondo everybody would use 품새 poomsae)

Poomsae, Tul, or Hyung.

Head instructor
관장 kwanjang (owner/head of the school)

Kwanjang is often used for the head of a school these days, but it was originally limited to the head of the system. Which is how we still use it.
Our chief instructor uses the title Sabum.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae, Tul, or Hyung.

틀 teul is a term created by General Choi when he reformed and revised his 'Taekwondo-Do'.

Maybe Kang Tsai can let us know if 형 hyeong is a Sino-Korean word. That may be a reason for Kukkiwon and KTA to come up with 품세 poomse (hanja: 品勢) and in 1987 with the pure Korean word 품새 poomsae.

Maybe Kang Tsai can tell us something about that word 품새 poomae, based on this article:

KYL English Poomse change 1987

The majority of Taekwondoin worldwide would use 품새 poomsae for forms, just like most Americans would say Scotch for clear tape and Xerox machine for a copying machine. Nobody in the ROK would refer to forms as 틀 teul - that's why I didn't mention it.

Kwanjang is often used for the head of a school these days, but it was originally limited to the head of the system. Which is how we still use it.
Our chief instructor uses the title Sabum.

관 kwan means hall/gym and kwanjang is indeed the head of a school. While the heads of the original schools of Taekwondo indeed became heads of certain branches of Taekwondo (or the respective style they were teaching back then) when their kwans began to spread and have many other schools besides the main dojang, that doesn't mean that the term kwanjang means "head of a system".

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference between Chagi and Busigi?

Latest Discussions