Are the sweeps used in free sparring in any kata?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In his autobiography, My Judo, (no longer in print, sadly) Kimura says that he used karate as another form of tanren, that he did it to strengthen his hands, and to thusly improve his judo.

And I'm hardly a traditional martial artist., though I do study traditional martial arts......anyway

Why would he need that if Judo has striking?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he need that if Judo has striking?

He explained pretty thouroughly exactly why he thought he needed it.

Basically, though, he said he did it to improve his grip.

Newsflash. Judo Is a sport these days, which was the founders vision. The sport does not encompass striking. Good luck finding a school that spends time on striking.
Newsflash: I can drive to Albuquerque, and go to a judo dojo that teaches striking.

Or I can just walk out back to my barn.

I'm done here.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Newsflash. Judo Is a sport these days, which was the founders vision. The sport does not encompass striking. Good luck finding a school that spends time on striking.
Newsflash. Judo lists specific kata for their strikes, both hand and feet, as part of their official curriculum. You were presented with video of Judo students training their strikes. Not sure what further evidence you need.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just musing, but it is an odd way to think. That something does not exist or is not substantial unless if is verifiable via YouTube and it must be perceivable to lay people that don't train in the method.

Not starting a fight with anyone...

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He explained pretty thouroughly exactly why he thought he needed it.

Newsflash: I can drive to Albuquerque, and go to a judo dojo that teaches striking.

Or I can just walk out back to my barn.

I'm done here.

They aren't qualified to teach striking unless they've crosstrained.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just musing, but it is an odd way to think. That something does not exist or is not substantial unless if is verifiable via YouTube and it must be perceivable to lay people that don't train in the method.

I suggest you research the history of Judo and the aim of its founder

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Conversely, it's pretty ridiculous to constantly reject documented evidence, whether from youtube, or books.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Conversely, it's pretty ridiculous to constantly reject documented evidence, whether from youtube, or books.

I haven't rejected anything. Judo has striking in a few katas, which is largely irrelevant since it's now a grappling sport. If you open up judo schools that don't focus on the Olympics, you won't have a clients. It makes no sense. You also don't have anyone qualified to teach it, which is why Ronda Roussey looked like a lay person striking against someone who knew how to strike.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suggest you research the history of Judo and the aim of its founder
Heh. I have trained in judo. And aikido. And karate. I know a bit about the histories of all three along with the post WWII transformation of Japan.

As I said, it's odd that laypeople think YouTube is the gold standard for determining reality.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Heh. I have trained in judo. And aikido. And karate. I know a bit about the histories of all three along with the post WWII transformation of Japan.

As I said, it's odd that laypeople think YouTube is the gold standard for determining reality.

When did base anything off of Youtube? Striking is prohibited in sparring. What you have left is air guitar

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can one-up you sir. It is pretty ridiculous to try to engage in discussion with this fellow. :)

I had a friend with a son that was like that. The son was on the autistic spectrum though high functioning. But he had a hard time getting along with others because his brain just didn't process the same way people not on the spectrum do.

Not saying that is what is happening here. But OP seems determined that only what he can discern himself from reading and watching media on the internet is valuable or true. And he becomes hostile easily. It seems like a difficult way to experience the world.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a friend with a son that was like that. The son was on the autistic spectrum though high functioning. But he had a hard time getting along with others because his brain just didn't process the same way people not on the spectrum do.

Not saying that is what is happening here. But OP seems determined that only what he can discern himself from reading and watching media on the internet is valuable or true. And he becomes hostile easily. It seems like a difficult way to experience the world.
Yes, I hadn’t considered that. Good point.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Takes one to know one

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
nice to see how corrupt it is even at martial talk. I've been banned for far lesser things.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
nice to see how corrupt it is even at martial talk. I've been banned for far lesser things.
Ok, buh-bye!
Take yer bunny and yer little red wagon with you!
upload_2020-9-30_14-48-8.png

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no idea what your guys are arguing about.

- Does Karate have sweep?
- Does Judo have punch?
- Does boxing have kick?
- Does TKD have throw?
- Does BJJ have knife fight?

Who cares? If you cross train, this will never be an issue.

Latest Discussions