Are the sleeveless dogis uses by Cobra Kai in the show real?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much my question. I have never seen anyone wearing a gi with no sleeves, either in real life or the internet. I was very curious about this when I watched the show for what seems like the 10th time. Pumped for season 3!!!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sc-jacket.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah a tournament I've competed in there's a big club there, a freestyle martial art, and their uniforms are black + red and sleeveless

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty much my question. I have never seen anyone wearing a gi with no sleeves, either in real life or the internet. I was very curious about this when I watched the show for what seems like the 10th time. Pumped for season 3!!!
easy, to rectify, cut the skeeves of your jacket and look in the mirror,

then realise tou need to work on your arm muscle tone

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Real? They're as real as you want them to be. Modern gi's are nearly an affectation and certainly are a modification, at best an <cough> "evolution" of what a gi was and where it came from.

For most oriental based martial arts, you don't really need a gi. They just "feel" traditional and are considered the approved uniform by the heads of the organization. Even in grappling based arts, such as Judo, you don't need a gi, per se. You just need clothing/jackets which will perform the same "wearable handles" task as a gi. Truthfully, for a lot of it, a Cornish or Gouren wrestling jacket would work just as well. With a few notable exceptions, a jacket from almost any of the Jacket Wrestling styles could cover 2/3 of the techniques used in the others.

You know what you can't do with a sleeveless gi? Any sleeve choke that depends on the sleeve. You also can't use a sleeve as a handle or grip. On the plus side, you won't ever catch your fingers or your thumbs while punching or whatever on your opponent's sleeve if he doesn't have one. I've seen thumbs dislocated on the opponent's sleeve by newbies punching wrong.

So, is it "real?" Sure. If you're allowed to wear on at your school, then it's real.

So are pink and tie-dyed gis.

Child%20GIs%20April%202010.jpg

HWG_5685-1.jpeg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably but personally i think they look ridiculous...especially for kids on cobra kai who don’t have an ounce of muscle on their arms.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just noticed he has eleven stripes on his belt. Nice touch.
First episode of enter the dojo he told his class he promoted himself to 11th degree....sadly it’s accurate...there’s a guy in the Kenpo community who promoted himself to 15th degree...

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
First episode of enter the dojo he told his class he promoted himself to 11th degree....sadly it’s accurate...there’s a guy in the Kenpo community who promoted himself to 15th degree...

I see your 15th degree and raise you 3 more.

We have our very own 18th degree black belt in our town.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I was cleaning out some boxes of old stuff from our last move and came across a handful of pre-signed instructor rank certificates ...given to me by one of my old instructors, a very prestigious guy in Escrima. I threw them out, but mentioned them in a conversation with a private student. He asked me why I tossed them. Like maybe he was hoping I'd promote him and put in his name or something?

I explained that other than the fact that that would be fraud, there's the problem that this guy is in his early 30s and the certs were all dated 1988! So he would be making full instructor rank at what ...birth? :p

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Meh. Don't care. If he knows how to fight, then he has stuff he can teach. "Ranks" don't impress me, even if it's an "honest" rank from a well known and genuine organization. The reason is because "ranks" are more or less arbitrary in relation to skill advancement and have little to no bearing on skill as it drives farther away from similar arts. As an example, posit some generic TKD organization which ranks some student at 5th Dan. There's at least some chance that other TKD organizations will recognize it in their system and it might actually represent some similarity of skill in the other TKD system. Moving out to, for instance, some theoretical generic Japanese Karate system (which is arguably the base for TKD), the rank is fairly unlikely to represent a similarity of skill and experience in said Karate system. Moving out from there, would a theoretical 5th Dan in some hypothetical TKD system have any bearing at all in any Kung Fu system? Or Silat? To say nothing of rankings in la Savate, Kendo, Fencing, or Capoeira? Of course not.

"Ranks" only mean something as defined specifically by the top decision makers within the narrow confines of their organization wherein it means whatever they say it means within the context of their org. It means, literally, nothing anywhere else.

So if someone tells me they're a black belt, or a 10th degree black belt, or a green belt, or a 15th degree black belt, or a 3rd Stripe Decided Green Belt, I'm like, "OK." Because it's kinda irrelevant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meh. Don't care. If he knows how to fight, then he has stuff he can teach. "Ranks" don't impress me, even if it's an "honest" rank from a well known and genuine organization. The reason is because "ranks" are more or less arbitrary in relation to skill advancement and have little to no bearing on skill as it drives farther away from similar arts. As an example, posit some generic TKD organization which ranks some student at 5th Dan. There's at least some chance that other TKD organizations will recognize it in their system and it might actually represent some similarity of skill in the other TKD system. Moving out to, for instance, some theoretical generic Japanese Karate system (which is arguably the base for TKD), the rank is fairly unlikely to represent a similarity of skill and experience in said Karate system. Moving out from there, would a theoretical 5th Dan in some hypothetical TKD system have any bearing at all in any Kung Fu system? Or Silat? To say nothing of rankings in la Savate, Kendo, Fencing, or Capoeira? Of course not.

"Ranks" only mean something as defined specifically by the top decision makers within the narrow confines of their organization wherein it means whatever they say it means within the context of their org. It means, literally, nothing anywhere else.

So if someone tells me they're a black belt, or a 10th degree black belt, or a green belt, or a 15th degree black belt, or a 3rd Stripe Decided Green Belt, I'm like, "OK." Because it's kinda irrelevant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Yep

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Well said, hence why Sensei Jesse Enkamp has everyone wear pink belts at all of his yearly camps, which I think is such a nice idea :)
91b7a824bd9f7e5d58747fb2db51ad8b.jpg

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
easy, to rectify, cut the skeeves of your jacket and look in the mirror,

then realise tou need to work on your arm muscle tone

This is exactly why I cut the sleeves off my first kung class fu t-shirt.

I still wear that thing. Great for mowing the lawn.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well said, hence why Sensei Jesse Enkamp has everyone wear pink belts at all of his yearly camps, which I think is such a nice idea :)
91b7a824bd9f7e5d58747fb2db51ad8b.jpg

That guy is insufferable. The pink belts just made him even more annoying.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That guy is insufferable. The pink belts just made him even more annoying.
I've never met him but I found some of his videos to be entertaining. I'm not in much of a position to either promote or discredit his information of Karate but I do find it interesting.

Made me ask questions to people who know more than I.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions